Kotaku: Next Xbox will require online connection to start games

• Please log in to reply
253 replies to this topic

#241 Mando

Mando

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Note ICS

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:06

I just don't get all the panic about this, think about it for a second, the computer your sitting at right now, does that not have/use "always on" in respect if your connected to a router right now.... the "always on" connection is there anyways!

I personally think its a storm in a teacup, all it could be is to show live updates from xbox live from the second you log in??? It has lots of benefits, keeping the console up to date, constantly keeping your installed titles up to date, realtime news, content via live pushed whenever your switched on....the list is endless.

Granted you would have limited functionality on the console perhaps if the net was down, but that could be said for playing multiplayer games on any platform, the computer your sitting at right now also!

#242 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:33

Not everyone has internet or at least stable internet.

I have a VERY flakey connection which can disconnect 10 times in as many minutes for no reason whatsoever, wasn't so long ago my connection was down for a couple of days and engineers couldn't find any faults whatsoever.

Each time that happens I don't want my console kicking back to the OS and refusing to let me start a freaking single player game just because of some arbitrary online required check.

#243 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:36

[/font][/color]

http://www.polygon.c...hievements-live

Now even reputable sites are reporting on rumours, there's no smoke without fire.

While its not as bad as always online mandatory you can bet that developers will require either one time check or always online to try and combat piracy.

supported doesn't mean required. suported pretty much means the same as the PS4. All the statements by Sony indicates the PS4 will "support" online checks

The next Xbox will allow publishers to decide if their games should require an internet connection to be played.

remember Sony never said the PS4 will NOT have online checks, they always where roundabout about it, saying you will be able to play games without online checks.

#244 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:50

Yes I know they haven't said anything about services yet but this is an Xbox thread, atm I am PS4, if PS4 goes online required then I will get an Xbox, if they both are I probably won't get either.

#245 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:00

Then at the moment due to the wishes of publishers it seems you're getting neither.

if you want to put together the facts
- Publishers want it, they have the power to force it.
- Sony specifically went around the issue practically stating it will support it
- MS is drowned in rumors saying it will have it, as well as rumors saying it won't.

Basically add it all up, what we get is that both next gen consoles will have non mandatory online systems that either requires online or allows offline play depending on the game. And most likely this is forced by the publishers. And since MS don't allow publishers to mix their own online systems with XBL to create a frankemonster online, They have both decided that it's better for them and the customer if they themselves create the online systems so they can create it to the best of the consumer.

Speaking of which I expect now that Sony has a fully working PSN system from the get go, they won't allow the mixing of other online systems with their own anymore and steam and epic will be out in the cold.

Both systems will probably aim to provide support for all the systems the developers and publishers need and want natively in their own system.

#246 psionicinversion

psionicinversion

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:34

well i read something think it was on this site that its upto the publishers whether they want always connected or not. MS's xbox supports it but it isnt enforced by MS. Publishers have they power so can imagine EA games will have it unless the new simcity's problems has put them off but i doubt it.

#247 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:47

[/font][/color]

http://www.polygon.c...hievements-live

Now even reputable sites are reporting on rumours, there's no smoke without fire.

While its not as bad as always online mandatory you can bet that developers will require either one time check or always online to try and combat piracy.

I think this is true for pretty much any gaming console or PC. If a publisher requires it, you will need internet connection even on PS3 or Xbox 360. I am guessing nextbox probably just provides a system level support for it (not smart enough to know what that can be).

#248 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:49

That's not a good thing, especially when companies like EA will enable it for Single Player.

#249 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:59

That's not a good thing, especially when companies like EA will enable it for Single Player.

If you played Sim City on a Dell PC then you can't really blame Dell for EA's missteps with Sim City, can you? Same here. This provided this latest rumor is true. I think this rumor sounds more plausible than others but again, it is just a rumor.
PS4 has already confirmed "online required" for one of the major features, I guess let's wait and see what Microsoft has to say next month.

#250 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:07

Online required for online services is hardly a downside, they already said in Playstation Meeting that you didn't need to be online to play single player.

#251 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:47

Online required for online services is hardly a downside, they already said in Playstation Meeting that you didn't need to be online to play single player.

No they didn't. Rather they said it, but they didn't say you would always be able to play single player without being online and that their network wouldn't have a built in function that allowed developers to incorporate online.

#252 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:51

Wut?

They said it but didn't mean it???

#253 ichi

ichi

Akihabara Style

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 02 May 2013 - 22:05

I don't get the "supported but not required". It's either required or it isn't, other than that developers can already force the "always online" on their own in their current gen games so it's not like anything would actually change.

#254 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 May 2013 - 22:24

I don't get the "supported but not required". It's either required or it isn't, other than that developers can already force the "always online" on their own in their current gen games so it's not like anything would actually change.

Most likely PSN 2.0 for the Ps4 will include the built in ability for online required in games, on Sony's terms, and their contracts with partners will unlike the PS3(where, Epic, EA and Valve all frankesteined themselves into PSN) forbid third party online systems hooking into their system.

thus sony will provide all the tools for always online and online required in games, but they won't be mandatory to use. as such Sony can go out in all their press conferences and say "the PS4 does not require you to be online to play". true enough, but they provide the tools for it, and they know all the big publishers will use it.

The good thing here is then Sony and MS create the systems like this, and prevents the publishers form making them, they can keep the best interests of the gamers in mind as much as possible.

and hence, it's supported but not required. and yes, it's either required or it isn't, and I said it isn't required.