Photo

Kotaku: Next Xbox will require online connection to start games

• Please log in to reply
253 replies to this topic

#16 torrentthief

torrentthief

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 April 2013 - 23:14

microsoft is EVIL! I wonder if the rumour of having kinect plugged in as a requirement is true. If so then the govt can watch and listen to you, lets hope this isn't true.

#17 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 04 April 2013 - 23:22

Ok let's get a few facts straight.

Sony NEVER said these two things
- used games won't be blocked
- games won't require online to play

They where very circumspect in that they said. They said
- "You can pay used games on the PS4" essentially saying nothing just that some games can be played, but they did not say it won't have a used game blocking mechanism that publishers can use if they want.
- "games can be played without online" same thing basically. Circumspect way of saying noting.and doesn't mean a lot or even most games won't use some king of built in online required or online check feature.

They're very careful to word all these comments n this way, indicating that the console will probably have a online check/online required function and a used games blocking function. But they won't be mandatory, just everyone will use them anyway.

Personally I favor MS way, if my suspicion is true on their online check. All games are DLC and if my disc is broken, I can just download the game instead. Over at a friends place and want to show off the game? Sign in on my account, and download the game, theoretically they could even allow digital lending this way, though I doubt game publishers will signup for that, even if books have set a precedent,

microsoft is EVIL! I wonder if the rumour of having kinect plugged in as a requirement is true. If so then the govt can watch and listen to you, lets hope this isn't true.

Umm since when did the government have a backdoors into every kinect...

#18 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64Ce Pro w/Media nter Pack/Core i7 4790K/16GB DDR3 1600/Samsung 850 Pro 256GB x 2 - Raid 0/Transcend M.2 256GB/ASRock Z97E-ITXac/GTX 970
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 04 April 2013 - 23:22

Assuming the rumour is true...

Lame. There's still a good percentage of people without consistent internet connections.

I really don't think if true, it's needing the connection that's the problem. Anyone with a console most likely has an Internet connection. It's the control part, having to be connected or else no workie. I will resist that as long as possible. Of course if it is true, and PS4 does something similar, I would stay with Xbox for the controller alone. If I can use an Xbox controller with a PS4 (wireless) then I may go PS4 anyway, they have more games I want to play.

Just wish they had Xbox Live instead of PSN.

#19 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 04 April 2013 - 23:50

Don't they say that they also have other sources that don't know about any online requirement in the article? I think this is just a devkit security feature and nothing more. MS doesn't want them going out on eBay or whatever so they keep track of them this way. If it requires that it be connected to live with a developer account then it's useless to try and sell one because it can't be used anyway.

#20 Xerxes

Xerxes

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Galaxy S4 Plus

Posted 05 April 2013 - 00:01

Any money says MS deliberately let it slip the "Xbox Next" requires an internet connection to function to test the public reaction to it. Given the widespread negative reaction to it, I'm betting the new Xbox will not have this feature. MS can't risk alienating it's userbase, doesn't matter if the suits want better anti-piracy measures (which is essentially what this is) if they'll have next no users at all ;) of cause this is my opinion and should be taken with a grain of salt...

#21 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 05 April 2013 - 00:21

As I've said before, if it is true I will most definitely not be getting the Nextbox. But, hopefully it isn't true because I prefer the Xbox controller and Live over the Playstation alternatives.

#22 dead.cell

dead.cell

My Body My Temple

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 05 April 2013 - 00:49

As I've said before, if it is true I will most definitely not be getting the Nextbox. But, hopefully it isn't true because I prefer the Xbox controller and Live over the Playstation alternatives.

I prefer the Xbox controller too, but Live is something I could live with or without. As it stands, I'm more put off by the offerings of Microsoft compared to Sony, which is why I feel I'll probably get more out of going with Sony this next generation.

#23 MindTrickz

MindTrickz

That's no way to treat a lady!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:31

It seems Kotaku's source was correct. Here is Microsoft Creative Director Adam Orth defending the ALWAYS-ON. Generally being obnoxious.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#24 virtorio

virtorio

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 15
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:09

I won't be buying it if this is indeed the case. My internet doesn't go down too often, but often enough for this to be a problem.

#25 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 900 / Oneplus One

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:26

The very SAME article also states:

That said, a caution and a caveat: other sources familiar with the codenamed Durango console have told us that they are still unaware of any Microsoft plans regarding an online requirement.

So like I said on the front page, Kotaku doesn't know anything for certain.

#26 Motoko.

Motoko.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:27

I hope this is not one of those moments where consumers would be angry at this but when the console launches they'll cave in and buy it anyway

#27 Luc2k

Luc2k

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:31

I hope this is not one of those moments where consumers would be angry at this but when the console launches they'll cave in and buy it anyway

Of course they will, people are stupid like that. We used to have game expansions, now we have DLC.

#28 HighwayGlider

HighwayGlider

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:34

I still have my PS2. And guess what, I can bring it along with me without worrying about connection issues. Still having fun with it.

#29 +imachip

imachip

Neowinian

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:34

Yes, it might be annoying if it required an always-on connection or an activation per play in some circumstances but it's rarely going to affect most people. I just think it's a shame game companies don't offer extra content that's beyond multiplayer and patches. More DLC's and micro transaction and expect advertising to be more prevalent.

I just hope there is still room for the niceties like content creation, etc. There will be certainly new kinnect intigrated services like video link in-game which should be interesting.

#30 MindTrickz

MindTrickz

That's no way to treat a lady!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:50

The very SAME article also states:

So like I said on the front page, Kotaku doesn't know anything for certain.

How about Microsoft Creative Director defending "always-on" on twitter and being a dick to everyone? He in-adherently confirms its. Why else would he choose to defend it to such an extent.