• Please log in to reply
253 replies to this topic

#61 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:43

A network troubleshooter is meant for you typical ignorant consumer. A dev isn't(or atleast shouldn't be) one of those kind of people so such a thing wouldn't serve much purpose.

Also, the level you have your microsoft fan mode set on in this thread is kinda tiring.

Why would MS remove stuff during testing because the people doing the testing aren't the typical consumer?

The whole point of testing something is you make sure EVERYTHING works, yes that includes the stupid network troubleshooter. It's far easier to leave it in there than to keep it out and then forget about it and have 2 million angry consumers being all confused.

Pre-release versions of windows shipped with help files and a control panel and the troubleshooters too didn't they? MS didn't go oh well since tech pros are using it we'll just give them a command prompt and the registry and let them figure it out.

#62 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:43

So developers are some sort of tech geniuses? Because they understand a wonderful world of coding then surely they understand everything else related to the world of IT.

No, they have an IT department that handles all that.

The whole point of testing something is you make sure EVERYTHING works, yes that includes the stupid network troubleshooter. It's far easier to leave it in there than to keep it out and then forget about it and have 2 million angry consumers being all confused.

QA testing yes, not the people coding the games, can you imagine trying to code a game and trying to test what you've just implemented and the office network goes down?

#63 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:44

So I'm a fanboy because I don't hate MS and Xbox now ? yes I like Xbox, and yes I don't see the big issue here. in fact I see a lot of potential OR a lot of nothing. those are pretty much the options.

So again, you're saying. MS should disable easy functionality in the xbox dev kits just because they're dev kits... yeah that makes sense.... do you guys even think about this before arguing ? And no, being a developer doesn't mean you know jack **** about networks. and game testers in special, they don't need to know jack **** about anything.

Nah. It's more so how you're so desperately trying to make this rumor seem like it'll be the best thing to ever happen to gaming if it comes true and how microsoft is doing something great by potentially implementing things that noone actually wants.

#64 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:45

I don't think its that, he enjoys talking down to people acting like his word is gospel.

#65 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:48

QA testing yes, not the people coding the games, can you imagine trying to code a game and trying to test what you've just implemented and the office network goes down?

And what if your game doesn't handle disconnects very well? Wouldn't you want to find out about it during testing and not after people have bought the game?

Developers still need access to all the basic **** that consumers get access to because they build their games around it.

#66 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:49

And what if your game doesn't handle disconnects very well? Wouldn't you want to find out about it during testing and not after people have bought the game?

Developers still need access to all the basic **** that consumers get access to because they build their games around it.

During QA testing yes, not when you are trying to code the guts of the game.

#67 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:50

But you see that's part of this rumor bull****.

You have one unnamed source going yes this will happen. And then you have other developers, aka "unnamed sources", saying they have no idea what the other people are talking about.

How do you know who to believe?

#68 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:51

I believe someone employed by Microsoft who is being a douche in support/defence of the feature than some developer who is probably under an NDA.

It's not like its an unprecedented rumour, always on and anti used games has been going around since last year.

#69 Skiver

Skiver

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:54

No, they have an IT department that handles all that....

Out of curiosity - do you work in an IT environment but not with in an IT support dept ?

Again, I am only talking for myself here so this isn't a global view of how everyone is. But if I have an issue with my laptop be it wireless connectivity, permissions etc etc... Very rarely is my first step our own IT dept. If there is a chance I can fix this myself, I will - would you?

Would you honestly run straight to your IT dept if you had a problem or would you like to try and fix it yourself. Especially if you get a pop up wizard that could, and I emphasis the word could as lets be honest a lot of these actual wizards don't really get you that far, get you to that fix quicker?

I am taking this way off topic though - I have to agree with Razorfold, why not have things "tested" all be it sneakily by outside dev's however frustrating it might be? Speaking from personal experience, your own QA team will NEVER find every glitch and getting an external test is very beneficial.

#70 saltysaltybk

saltysaltybk

Neowinian

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:55

Nonsense. If the Developers are not considering and able to test network disconnections in core code (and its the intention to have this as some kind of security mechanism) then they need to rethink their strategy.

#71 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:55

I believe someone employed by Microsoft who is being a douche about it than some developer who is probably under an NDA.

But he never really stated anything. He just mentioned what his own beliefs were. Doesn't mean that the product is going to be completely built around what he wants.

#72 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:57

Yeah and it doesn't mean that it isn't going to be built around it either. As I posted earlier it's not exactly an unprecedented rumour, it's been rumoured since last year that always on, anti used games is going to be built into the console.

He set his twitter private now as well with some half arsed excuse about trying to "troll a friend", his comments must have at least a shred of truth to it.

Nonsense. If the Developers are not considering and able to test network disconnections in core code (and its the intention to have this as some kind of security mechanism) then they need to rethink their strategy.

You don't need to test that if you are doing animation, level building, texturing, etc..

#73 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:15

Nah. It's more so how you're so desperately trying to make this rumor seem like it'll be the best thing to ever happen to gaming if it comes true and how microsoft is doing something great by potentially implementing things that noone actually wants.

No, I just don't see how it's a problem, and I can see a lot of possibilities.

As for something no one really wants, people have wanted to be able to play without the disk and to be able to download and play their games since the 360 launched. It's some of the most requested features.

#74 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:17

You don't need to test that if you are doing animation, level building, texturing, etc..

But Microsoft is testing it. They can't send out xbox consoles to every person so their only form of testing is in-house and the feedback they get from devs.

Now they could make a separate version for QA people, developers, level designers etc but that would just be a ****ing nightmare to maintain. Might as well just do one version and ship them out and get feedback.

#75 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:23

Yeah and it doesn't mean that it isn't going to be built around it either. As I posted earlier it's not exactly an unprecedented rumour, it's been rumoured since last year that always on, anti used games is going to be built into the console.

He set his twitter private now as well with some half arsed excuse about trying to "troll a friend", his comments must have at least a shred of truth to it.

Fact is the only way MS will block used games is, and I've mentioned this many times before, if one of two things are true.
1: Sony is also blocking used games. and remember, tey NEVER said they won't block used games, they specifically said "you can play used games". which just means, "sure, there's like one or two games that doesn't use our used game blocker you can play, but we have it built in and everyone will use it"
2: MS has an exclusivity deal with EA(they're the only ones big enough), and maybe more publishers, that as long as they are the only ones blocking used games, they will either get exclusive released or timed exclusives with a long delay. (do note, there has also been rumors that on the MS even, EA and MS will announce an exclusivity deal for a lot of their games which may be as long as 6 months. and as long as we're believing every negative rumor about the next box and everything is candy and soda about the PS4....)