Photo

Kotaku: Next Xbox will require online connection to start games

• Please log in to reply
253 replies to this topic

#76 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:36

You guys actually believe something reported by anonymous sources...over email...by KOTAKU??

I thought you guys were smarter than that.

:|

#77 saltysaltybk

saltysaltybk

Neowinian

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:44

You don't need to test that if you are doing animation, level building, texturing, etc..

Since when is animation development?

If a Developer is not considering and able to test during development a key security feature (for arguments sake) then their cycle is fundamentally flawed.

#78 +Jack Unterweger

Jack Unterweger

in linux i trust

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:04

so no new xbox for me then, i will buy me another 360... cause for sure the requirement of online connection is only there to check for possible copied games...

#79 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:06

Well since the other half of the rumor is that you can play without the disc and all games must be installed. How else would you do that...

#80 +Jack Unterweger

Jack Unterweger

in linux i trust

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:09

like i do it with the 360 maybe... there also half part of the game gets installed on the disk. if the 720 only offers downloadable games, that will make them lose even more users, thats for sure.

#81 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:24

You guys actually believe something reported by anonymous sources...over email...by KOTAKU??

I thought you guys were smarter than that.

:|

I'm half convinced a Sony marketing team are their sources. This **** is comedy gold and I don't understand why anyone would believe it.

#82 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:26

like i do it with the 360 maybe... there also half part of the game gets installed on the disk. if the 720 only offers downloadable games, that will make them lose even more users, thats for sure.

Not if you can buy the digital download on a disk for installing. And you can't play without the disk on the 360

Also if it's there just for a piracy check, how does that affect you? I'm assuming you pay for and play your entertainment legally, so it doesn't affect you. If you don't, we'll then I have no pity for you.

#83 margrave

margrave

Neowinian

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:28

If the rumor is true I just wont buy the system.

#84 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:30

Well since the other half of the rumor is that you can play without the disc and all games must be installed. How else would you do that...

Where did they say you can play without the disk, they don't allow it with the current Xbox after you install the game, they just said mandatory installs which doesn't mean you don't need the disk.

#85 +Jack Unterweger

Jack Unterweger

in linux i trust

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:32

Not if you can buy the digital download on a disk for installing. And you can't play without the disk on the 360

Also if it's there just for a piracy check, how does that affect you? I'm assuming you pay for and play your entertainment legally, so it doesn't affect you. If you don't, we'll then I have no pity for you.

atm nothing microsoft does affects me. not only i am a linux user on my pc and android user on my smartphone but i also gave the 360 away as a gift to someone few weeks ago.
but: i remember well that the reason for many to get a 360 was the fact that, different to the ps3, you could flash the rom-drive. to make it spin slower for example and reduce the noise of the console. this, however, was equal to running piracy games for ms leading to a lot of bans from xbox live....
also the fact that you could make a - still legal - private copy of your legally bought xbox games - and in case the dog or a child destroys the originial, you were not lost..

if microsoft gives that up with the new xbox i see users go. simple as that.

#86 +Lighthalzen

Lighthalzen

GNT-0000 00 Qan[T]

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:40

You know, it would be funny if Microsoft's Marketing department purposely did this to hype the news before the Console releases. Think about it, if it was just leaking all the good news, people would not discuss much, there would not be as much flames spreading across the internet. Any news, be it bad or good, is marketing for Microsoft. So could it be just a "free" marketing tool Microsoft is using? Maybe... Because unless Microsoft is full of retarded people, they will not copy what EA did with SimCity.
(That's the Fanboy in me talking)

I really hope my logical conclusion about this is true, otherwise, as a supporter for the XBOX, I will not buy the next one. That means more money for my pocket :)

#87 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:49

Any news, be it bad or good, is marketing for Microsoft.

I subscribe to the theory that 'all press is good press' is a load of crap. Trying to sabotage interest in your upcoming product just to have a laugh when it's over would get your marketing team fired.

#88 Coagulated

Coagulated

Neowinian

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:54

Not fussed, if I end up getting a PS4 or 360, it'll be years away. PC and my back catalog of consoles does me fine for gaming :)

#89 Gaffney

Gaffney

I have no title

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:56

I think there has been a bit of an over-reaction with people comparing it to sim city. Xbox Live very rarely has downtime and has never been down for a long duration. It only poses a problem if you don't have internet access or your internet access goes down. But I will happily trade this always online if we can play games without having the disc, I've wasted hundreds of pounds over the years having to buy a new copy of a game because I've lost or damaged the disc.

#90 ozzy76

ozzy76

Neowinian

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:00

MS needs to address this sooner rather than later, since we know how rumors tend to act online.