Kotaku: Next Xbox will require online connection to start games

So the rumors continue today...

http://www.vgleaks.c...x-roadmap-2013/

I think this Microsoft on damage control... :laugh:

This makes more sense. Not sure I like the shotgun approach. You end up jack of all trades, master of none.

That seems like a really smart way to tackle backwards compatibility. People who want to play 360 games can buy the add-on without needing to have 2 devices in their living room, and people who don't want it won't have to pay extra. If this is true, it actually turns the tables and makes the PS4 the console that is required to be online (for backwards compatibility).

That seems like a really smart way to tackle backwards compatibility. People who want to play 360 games can buy the add-on without needing to have 2 devices in their living room, and people who don't want it won't have to pay extra. If this is true, it actually turns the tables and makes the PS4 the console that is required to be online (for backwards compatibility).

I'm still scratching my head at the idea of them saying you don't need 2 devices in your living room... when you apparently need an addon (sold separately) to attach just for this capability. You would still have two devices, and you are paying for both of them. :huh:

It's interesting seeing Paul Thurrott's information coming to light though. So much for keeping quiet hah.

Apparently, Adam Orth has "resigned" as well. Looks like Francis was right in calling him FORMER creative director. :p

I honestly don't see BC being a big deal, it wasn't for the 360 and I'm sure MS has data on just how many people played the older games on the 360. Also, when I get a new system I do so for the new games, I also won't be quick to ditch my 360 yet, it still works fine.

The rumor is the new version 360 will be very small and $99, for those who really need BC, which I think is a small %, it's not that much.

I'm still scratching my head at the idea of them saying you don't need 2 devices in your living room... when you apparently need an addon (sold separately) to attach just for this capability. You would still have two devices, and you are paying for both of them. :huh:

It's interesting seeing Paul Thurrott's information coming to light though. So much for keeping quiet hah.

Apparently, Adam Orth has "resigned" as well. Looks like Francis was right in calling him FORMER creative director. :p

I kind of assumed that they could be connected via your home network (possibly built in wifi I'd imagine). Then you could have them in separate rooms as the mini is it's own standalone media machine and Durango includes all those media features. We'll see. I'm excited.

Dude, if you get the nachos stuck together, that's one nacho.

1 nacho is one piece of yum.

1 bowl of dip is several spoonfuls of yum

1 nacho + one dip in the dip = one piece of yum.

a great example of not being able to be online

a game day at a school or library or elsewhere (like a nukecon aftershock event). you can't connect consoles to school networks and such (99% of the time)

xbox live is down today, if the new xbox were our right now and the rumor is true that you have to always be online to play games then no one would be able to play their xbox right now

this isn't the first instance of xbox live going down and it most likely won't be the last. with this and the fact that the internet isn't perfect (people do lose their internet connection from time to time), I can't see how anyone could support the always online as this rumor is

After this article on Kotaku, I'd take anything they say with a giant mountain of salt.

Take anything you find on the internet with a giant mountain of salt... that's fake ;)

It's a parody of this (note the same date and time):

http://kotaku.com/5985822/why-were-there-no-women-presenters-at-the-playstation-4-event

Off topic but these feminists don't want equality they want advantages over others.

Patricia Hernandez has said a lot of stupid things, even if this article was fake she's probably thinking about writing something a long those lines.

fREOePp.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

In order not to upset anyone sensitive to these rumours, a new topic isn't needed so I'll leave this here

"It sounds like the next Xbox will be always-online

"What do I think? Very brave, so to speak, decision from Microsoft. Still, the question is whether or not somebody had to do it sooner or later. I'm not personally worried about it myself because as a player it's doable at my home. Even looking at countries like Poland ... there are people who do not have internet, but probably most of them know that it wouldn't even make sense in their case to own a current-gen console, because without the internet you have like half of it [the experience].

"I don't expect it to be that big of a deal, personally. Still, I'm not [an] advisor on that - if it was up to me I probably wouldn't do it so early."

I can't talk too much about the next-gen Xbox," he added, "but I don't think a lot of people [are] going to be surprised. I don't think it's going to be huge news what's inside, no - seriously."

He could talk about what 8GB of GDDR5 RAM in PS4 meant for Lords of the Fallen, though. "Way more richer detail on all of the assets," he said. "For example, I couldn't even imagine making a tessellated game on the current generation of consoles. It might even be one of the biggest gaps. And on the next ones [consoles] it's going to be standard, in my opinion. And you just can see more on the screen right now, because it's gonna fit and the memory's gonna be fast.""

Next Xbox possibly blocking pre-owned?

If this is a thing, Gop "seriously" hasn't heard of it, but does have an opinion about it. "Personally I understand people who buy pre-owned games, who sell them. I never will disrespect anybody and I will never encourage anybody, and I will never stand on the side of anybody banning that, personally. "But then again I'm not a businessman, I'm a developer. If somebody feels like he can't make ends [meet] without it, it's gonna be his decision, and he's going to take it on his chest with all the storm that comes with it. It's his choice. Personally, I'm not in favour of this feature. Players don't want it, and a bigger part of me is a player."

Source: http://www.eurogamer...oles-action-rpg

Off topic but these feminists don't want equality they want advantages over others.

Patricia Hernandez has said a lot of stupid things, even if this article was fake she's probably thinking about writing something a long those lines.

Will you give this anti-feminism **** a rest? There are plenty of forums out there where frustrated men whine about "feminazis" and how women are ruining everything. Take your fight there.

Not sure what the point of this is. They're just asking an executive what he thinks of previous rumors. The guy nor the interviewer has anything to add to the rumor or any more proof that it's true.

It sounds like next Xbox will vomit ponies...

In order not to upset anyone sensitive to these rumours, a new topic isn't needed so I'll leave this here

Source: http://www.eurogamer...oles-action-rpg

Always online/always connected != connection required, the PS4 will also be always on always online.

Not sure what the point of this is. They're just asking an executive what he thinks of previous rumors. The guy nor the interviewer has anything to add to the rumor or any more proof that it's true.

it brings traffic and thus gives them ad income, that's the only purpose of that "article".

Xing Interactive: Our sources say next Xbox will block used games, require online

The latest suggestion that the Xbox 720 will require an internet connection to play and will not play second hand games comes from David Connolly, managing director at Xing Interactive.

We spoke to Connolly about the the decline of physical retail, and asked how next-gen could affect this already problematic market.

"We hear different things from the two big players," Connolly told us in an interview. "Sony are actively asking for more retailers ?past, present and new? to help them support their next PS launch."

Connolly suggests that Sony is being far more open with its approach to the PS4 than Microsoft, who is not looking to accept a wider retailer market if at all possible.

"I have spoken to sources close to Microsoft on the other hand who insist that the next Xbox will not be compatible with second hand, will require permanently on connection, and 'you?ll have to go through Microsoft to do anything'."

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1897054/next_xbox_will_not_be_compatible_with_second_hand.html

I thought you post only from "reputable sources"? WTF is Xing interactive and why should we care what they say? Did you conveniently not post the part where the GameStop executive said he loves next Xbox?

Everything is rumor but if we go by your posts, there are only one kind of rumors.

I thought you post only from "reputable sources"? WTF is Xing interactive and why should we care what they say? Did you conveniently not post the part where the GameStop executive said he loves next Xbox?

Everything is rumor but if we go by your posts, there are only one kind of rumors.

Do some reading, took me 5 seconds

Xing Interactive might not be a publisher you've heard of. It's unlikely you'll see Snack Games, Xing Interactive's current baby, competing for TV ad space with the likes of Call Of Duty or FIFA.

But then Xing Interactive hasn't had to do that to be successful. Having been founded in the Netherlands in 2001 as a PC-only games publisher, it now sells its products in 32 countries worldwide and opened a UK office this year.

As managing director David Connolly tells us, Xing Interactive is 'also considered the ?last man standing? in publishing independently produced games.'

Do some reading, took me 5 seconds

I did actually. None of their games are on any console as far as I can see. They look like mostly into PC and mobile game. so again WTF should we care what they think about next Xbox or any next console for that matter?