Microsoft extended service plan

According to http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msuk/en_GB/pdp/productID.258711700 :

Every Surface comes with a guaranteed one-year manufacturer?s limited warranty1, but you can add an additional year of coverage with the Extended Service Plan. With our expert, friendly team backing you up, you can rest easy knowing that help is close at hand.

[1] In addition to the one-year limited warranty, our products may come with guarantees that cannot be disclaimed under law. Microsoft will provide you with any additional protection and benefit of any applicable statutory rights relating to faulty or misdescribed products or services. Should you have an issue with your product, please call us at the customer support number located on our Sales and Support page.

so basically this is saying that we will let you purchase an extended warranty at a cost of ?65 for a period that is already covered by warranty[1] under European law!

what on earth is the point... As much as I like you Microsoft, that is a scam!

No, the Extended Service Plan extends the warranty to TWO years. I'm not sure if they do stuff like this in Europe, but (as an example) car manufacturers will offer an extended warranty to customers at the point of purchase. This extended warranty covers the vehicle past the original warranty period. Same with computer manufacturers. The computer may come with a one year service warranty, but they may offer other warranty options that would extend it to either A) cover service and other options (e.g. accidental damage, in-home service, etc.) for the original warranty period, B) extend service coverage for up to five years (depending on the manufacturer), or C) extending service coverage and adding other options for up to five years (depending on the manufacturer). So, no, this isn't a scam. It's simply an offer to extend the original warranty to cover another year.

No, the Extended Service Plan extends the warranty to TWO years. I'm not sure if they do stuff like this in Europe, but (as an example) car manufacturers will offer an extended warranty to customers at the point of purchase. This extended warranty covers the vehicle past the original warranty period. Same with computer manufacturers. The computer may come with a one year service warranty, but they may offer other warranty options that would extend it to either A) cover service and other options (e.g. accidental damage, in-home service, etc.) for the original warranty period, B) extend service coverage for up to five years (depending on the manufacturer), or C) extending service coverage and adding other options for up to five years (depending on the manufacturer). So, no, this isn't a scam. It's simply an offer to extend the original warranty to cover another year.

Still practised on most retail electricals in the UK :)

under European Directive 1999/44/EC the warranty has to be 2 years. However further research indicates a grey area surrounding the Sale of goods act which allows upto 6 years (with the onus on the consumer to prove that it was indeed a manufacturing fault). However the original point still stands that you are being offered a service for which you are already covered for...

under European Directive 1999/44/EC the warranty has to be 2 years. However further research indicates a grey area surrounding the Sale of goods act which allows upto 6 years (with the onus on the consumer to prove that it was indeed a manufacturing fault). However the original point still stands that you are being offered a service for which you are already covered for...

if it is, it's mostly unknown then as mostly we get a standard 12 month warranty, may I ask where you're from? (just country is fine)

Somerset...

but not as unknown as you may think. Mobile phone manufacturers (or nokia anyway comply with the regulations).

Anyway, the only reason I was on their store is because I am still waiting for the damn Surface pro to get a release date...

• Like 1

At least in the US, the extended warranty on Surface also covers accidental damage. Is that included in your country?