• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#16 +Majesticmerc

Majesticmerc

Resident Idealist

• 6,025 posts
  • Phone: HTC One X

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:14

I don't know if I'll be getting a console at all, but if I do the PS4 is looking mighty tempting at this point. If Microsoft keep up this PR shambles, the next Xbox is going to be DOA.

#17 c.grz

c.grz

Neowinian

• 1,217 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:19

So MS is gonna pay my INTERNET bills for the traffic the console generates, right? And it's like always on software could fail, i mean come on, look at Azure or AWS or even SimCity 5, they never failed right? Right?

I highly doubt an "always on" console will generate that much extra traffic. If it bothers people that much; can't it just be unplugged or will it still magically be "always on" even without power?

#18 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• 16,899 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S4

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:24

http://au.gamespot.c...n-april-6171095

As of 2007..

If you're talking games, then the PS2 has sold more games than 360 and PS3 combined >.>

By way of console sales, my understanding is you are incorrect.

EDIT::
That having been said, depends on the numbers you look at >.> I've found global numbers that reflect your view, also found numbers that don't.

I am not even following what you are saying here? Are you trying to say the XBox 360 has sold similar numbers to the PS2? If so, the PS3 and 360 sales combined do not match the sales of the PS2. PS2 has sold around 155 milion worldwide.

I highly doubt an "always on" console will generate that much extra traffic. If it bothers people that much; can't it just be unplugged or will it still magically be "always on" even without power?

An earlier article from the day said a game would stop playing if it detected no internet connection for 3 minutes.

Again, all rumors and speculation, but that is what it said.

#19 Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

• 35,857 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:24

Posted Image

#20 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,723 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:25

sometimes when the internet goes out playing video games is the only thing to do to pass time? just maybe?....... what's next an always on portable system?... oh wait they can justify that by putting a GSM chipset in it and making you pay a cell charge monthly to "play" games, right?....... :rolleyes:

#21 ajua

ajua

Neowinian Senior

• 2,198 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:28

I get the always on requirement, but those with unstable connections will get tossed out of games or apps.

My ISP's modem reboots 3-5 times a day randomly for self-configuration. It's a PITA. It has cought me completing a purchase, sending en email or in a rush to look something up. The reboot process takes about 5 minutes at most.

If the always-on requirement is true, I will be pi**ed everytime I get booted from a game if the modem reboots.

#22 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• 4,460 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:32

I am not even following what you are saying here? Are you trying to say the XBox 360 has sold similar numbers to the PS2? If so, the PS3 and 360 sales combined do not match the sales of the PS2. PS2 has sold around 155 milion worldwide.

PS2 GAME sales are greater than PS3 and XBox 360 combined game sales.

I'm unsure of total global console sales. I've seen lots of different numbers in my search for a conclusive source.

#23 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• 2,101 posts
  • OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:37

PS2 GAME sales are greater than PS3 and XBox 360 combined game sales.

I'm unsure of total global console sales. I've seen lots of different numbers in my search for a conclusive source.

It's a wide known fact already, look for it well on google, PS2 has just become a legendary console by its impressive total number of consoles (and the reason because it's still sold nowadays even on very low numbers)

#24 torrentthief

torrentthief

Neowinian Senior

• 3,685 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:45

Having always-on is pure evil, but even crazier is that is the requirement for always-on for apps! Why then hell do i need an internet connection to play pong or to record videos etc. There is no logical reason other than spyware. MS wants to be able to spy on you, that is the only reason for the always-on drm.

The 360 has hacked quickly because their security was non-existant, just changing the dvd-rom firmware was enough. The ps3 had much tougher protection and took countless years to crack. MS could easily see how nintendo, sony and themselves did their protection and make sure it is perfect this time. If they have many of their encryptions parts be held in the cpu itself you won't be able to sniff buses by soldering a cable to the pcb. This would make it far harder to hack. I doubt ms or sony console will be cracked within 3.5yrs, they will be far tougher this time and therefore there is no need for always-on drm.

#25 c.grz

c.grz

Neowinian

• 1,217 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:46

An earlier article from the day said a game would stop playing if it detected no internet connection for 3 minutes.

Again, all rumors and speculation, but that is what it said.

A game would stop playing if it didn't detect an internet connection? I honestly don't think Microsoft would be that stupid but I guess we'll see!!

#26 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• 15,852 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:48

i really do not get the drama either, i would venture to say a large percent of all the consoles that are out there right now are connected to the internet at all times. This is not much different, and to be honest its an evolution of services rendered.

#27 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

• 9,281 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:50

i really do not get the drama either, i would venture to say a large percent of all the consoles that are out there right now are connected to the internet at all times. This is not much different, and to be honest its an evolution of services rendered.

Sim City says hey.

Imagine everyone on launch day all trying to connect to xbox live at once, no connection to live, can't play any games.

#28 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• 10,531 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 05 April 2013 - 13:00

I am guessing this is either intentional marketing tactic or this guy will be without a job soon.

Vacuum cleaner comment was stupid. Power is much more stable than internet connectivity.

In last 6 years, I've lost power at least 4-5 times a year (minor and major) whereas I remember only 1 Internet outage. I don't think you can generalize.

#29 Pupik

Pupik

Neowinian Senior

• 6,141 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 13:03

Vacuum cleaner comment was stupid. Power is much more stable than internet connectivity.

What if you get your internet through power cables?

#30 Mackster

Mackster

Neowinian

• 148 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 13:06

Sim City says hey.

Imagine everyone on launch day all trying to connect to xbox live at once, no connection to live, can't play any games.

Is bound to happen.

I remember when Blizzard launched Diablo 3, as online game only. Of course they couldn't cope with the demand during the initial launch days. And I myself got booted out of the game right when I played against the final boss in the game, due to a server restart. After that, I just felt they never get a dime from me anymore.