Adam Orth:'I don't get the drama' over 'always-on' Xbox

The problem here to me seems like confusion of what always on is. The only most likely true thing here is that the next xbox will always be online WHEN available. Almost all electronics these days are always on if internet is available as well as always on power. My cell phone is always on but when i go somewhere with no signal it still plays games and music just fine... I swear 99% of the articles i read about online be required to play games is based off that stupid dev kit info that says ALWAYS ON. No where has anything or anyone that would know said anything about games requiring online connection. Also the xbox has been getting so much press lately its crazy. You would be hard pressed to find a tech site who hasnt posted a recent article about the new xbox. But I havent seen squat about the ps4.

My PC is always on but it uses almost no data cept when it downloads a update in the middle of hte night or the tiny amount from email refreshing. ALWAYS ON does not mean its sending out data 24/7 nor does it mean its using buttloads of power just means anytime it needs to do something like update it can or if you wanna give kinect a voice command it will respond because its always on even when its off unless you unplug it.

That's a weird definition for "always on". My PS3 already wakes up about 4am to download any available update, but waking up for 5 minutes is not "always on" by any stretch.

In order for your PS3 to do that it needs to be in a sleep mode. To me that's always on. If it's not turned off; it's on albeit sleeping or hibernating or whatever you want to call it.

The only most likely true thing here is that the next xbox will always be online WHEN available.

Current consoles already do that, that's how you get all the advertisement about new titles and stuff.

In the context of this news, though, Orthy was obviously trolling the other guy with the "always on" as in "requiring a connection all the time".

In order for your PS3 to do that it needs to be in a sleep mode. To me that's always on. If it's not turned off; it's on albeit sleeping or hibernating or whatever you want to call it.

Exactly the only thing new here is that when you turn the power off it can still check for the update. Dont see what the big deal is. I leave my 2 pcs online and running 24/7 reboot maybe once a month. I left one of them off for a entire month and my electric bill did not even go down... The only thing that uses any kind of noticeable power is when your running intense programs.

Nice flamebait thread title MS now can mean any guy who works there?

OT - I still do not believe that the next xbox will require an internet connection to play a game, no way would MS shoot themselves in the foot like this. If they do, so be it as my xbox is always connected.

• Like 2

i really do not get the drama either, i would venture to say a large percent of all the consoles that are out there right now are connected to the internet at all times. This is not much different, and to be honest its an evolution of services rendered.

If your Internet goes you out, you can not play. If your ISP goes down, you can not play. If Microsoft's servers go down, you can not play. Do you see the issue now. People do not want their single player games to be dependent on Internet. It makes no sense.

If your Internet goes you out, you can not play. If your ISP goes down, you can not play. If Microsoft's servers go down, you can not play. Do you see the issue now. People do not want their single player games to be dependent on Internet. It makes no sense.

Can you show me the official link you went to stating that's how the new XBox will work?

Exactly the only thing new here is that when you turn the power off it can still check for the update. Dont see what the big deal is.

The PS3 is as off as it can be, short of unplugging the power cord, and that's indeed not a big deal.

The whole "drama" is about an hypothetical required persistent connection, which would be such an stupid idea I don't see any chance of that being true.

Nice flamebait thread title MS now can mean any guy who works there?

Did you read the article and the source link? Specifically says who it is at MS. The title was edited because the whole thing wouldnt fit.

And M-Lyons10 blasted me about this only being a rumor. This is kind of the no talent asshattery that MS would put into a Next Gen console, including stripping out backwards compatibility to play older XBox games. I'm not saying that they would truly do this but I wouldn't be surprised if they actually did.

Can you show me the official link you went to stating that's how the new XBox will work?

Isnt one. Just a rumor at this point and a discussion for people to give their thoughts/input.

Did you read the article and the source link? Specifically says who it is at MS. The title was edited because the whole thing wouldnt fit.

One employee of Microsoft who even says his opinions are his own and not reflective of Microsoft's.

I read the article. MS does not equal a developer at MS tweeting to his friend. The OP (you) could have made it a bit more clear. Put the guys name in the title, then add his title. Just saying..

One employee of Microsoft who even says his opinions are his own and not reflective of Microsoft's.

No, but it reflects badly on the company when one of their employees talks like this. Should of been a private convo. But who knows, may be MS wanted this to drum up more talk about the next XBOX.

I read the article. MS does not equal a developer at MS tweeting to his friend. The OP (you) could have made it a bit more clear. Put the guys name in the title, then add his title. Just saying..

Better?

I am sure you have read Kotaku's article and what their sources had to say? Pennywise also discovered a pretty distinct developer leaving a highly implicit post on the matter:

"Given that legally I cannot confirm or deny if this information is true, nor can I comment on rumor or speculation, all I can say is be sure to pay your ISP bills wink.gif."

This is the developer:

This combined with Microsoft Creative Director is as official it is going to get before the reveal; but I'm you do not care about that. You strike as the sort of fanboy that would tell people to "Deal with it" if it turned out to be true.

This combined with Microsoft Creative Director is as official it is going to get before the reveal; but I'm you do not care about that. You strike as the sort of fanboy that would tell people to "Deal with it" if it turned out to be true.

Nice generalization there buddy!

So when someone doesn't freak out at rumors and decides to wait for an official word they're considered a fanboy?

Then I'm an MS fanboy, a Sony fanboy, a FujiFilm fanboy, a Nikon fanboy. I'm a fanboy of everything!

And if it did turn out to be true; you have two options. Buy the new XBox or not...it really is that simple.

Money talks buddy...all the complaining on a forum isn't going to change anyone's stance but if no one buys it...then you may see changes.

My dollars do the talking; if I don't like a product I just don't buy it.

PS2 GAME sales are greater than PS3 and XBox 360 combined game sales.

I'm unsure of total global console sales. I've seen lots of different numbers in my search for a conclusive source.

The official numbers are around 150 millions worlwide for PS2, around 100 millions worldwide for PS and around 75 millions worldwide for xbox 360.

This is the number of units sold though and not the number of people who owned one. I know i'll get bashed by ms fans but you need to take into account the unusual high defect rate of the first 360 model. Lot of people bought 2 of them. I would go as far as to say i would not be surprised if as much people owned a NES even if Nintendo sold around 15 millions less worldwide.

He is a creative director at Microsoft Studios. In other words a group which makes games for Xbox and not the group which makes Xbox. Big difference.

He should have been more cautious about what he was saying publicly but his twitter is hardly an official channel for the Xbox team. :/

Shouldn't f***ing have to with single player games, christ. What happens if someone has a low monthly data allowance, in the UK 250/500Mb a month is the average cap.

It won't require always on internet though.

oh yeah, those few kilobytes a month that's required for the xbox to check it's online and send verification about the game is REALLY going to eat into your cap...

I think something we have seen time and time again with MS is that once they make their minds up about something its very hard and usually financially painful to change. I dont know why sometimes, but I still think MS is right everywhere but the top, great guys with some poor commandments. I hope they dont go along the Win 8 route here of thinking that their customers will adapt and follow their set path.

Which of my electronics?

PC? No. Laptop? No. Consoles? No. Microwave oven? No. Fridge? No. TV? No. UPS? No. Vacuum cleaner? No.

Heck, I can even use apps and games on my phone without connection and/or authenticating anywhere online.

You where talking about always on. how do you use apps on your phone if it's not on. how does your fridge keep cold if it's off....

as I thought, you where confusing always on with always connected. and you are probably confusing always connected with connection required to play as well.

oh yeah, those few kilobytes a month that's required for the xbox to check it's online and send verification about the game is REALLY going to eat into your cap...

Pretty sure its going to be more than a couple of KBs considering it constantly pings your xbox to see if its online.

for a single player game come on always on is just stupid and is going to loose them lots of customers me for 1 i have 5 360's in my house if the always on is true ill have 5 ps4

Wouldn't it be nice if because of online required(which I guess is what you mean, not always on), you could play your copy of Assasins Creed IV on all your consoles without having to remember to bring your disc around and plop in the disc or anything. just log in to your account and start playing, and since it's always connected, you don't have to wait for updates either as the game is always fully updated.