11 posts in this topic

Posted

Article

Greg Shultz

April 4, 2013, 11:53 AM PDT

Takeaway: Greg Shultz shows you how to tweak the registry and add a cascading Shutdown menu to a Windows 8 context menu.

In the article Add a Shutdown menu to the Windows 8 desktop, I showed you how to add a Shutdown menu to the taskbar. While that technique works fine, I have never really been satisfied with it because the menu takes up so much space on the taskbar for something that I use so infrequently. Well, I was recently poking around on the Microsoft MSDN site and found a lot of information about working with context menus by editing the registry. Along the way, I learned how to add cascading menus to a context menu, such as the one you encounter when you right click on the desktop. That got me thinking about the possibility of adding the Shut Down menu to the Desktop context menu.

After a bit of experimentation, I was able to figure out how to make it work in Windows 8 and developed the Shut Down menu shown in Figure A.

Figure A

6411790-457-543.jpg

I added a cascading Shut Down menu to the Desktop context menu.

As you can see, I went full bore and added every possible option to my Shut Down menu. I then grouped the options into functional categories, added separators to delineate the categories, and even included appropriate icons.

After I was finished with my creation I showed it to several colleagues. While the overall consensus was that it was a great technique, a couple folks mentioned that they wouldn

1 person likes this

Posted

Nice, but looks complicated!

Posted

My poor stroke infested brain would go crazy attemting to figure this out. . .albeit a very well done article. If you ever put this into a little app then I will use that. . . :)

Posted

lol no problem, he offered a link http://i.techrepubli...t;siu-container whereby you open the .txt file in notepad, then save the file as a .reg file. double click the file and when the system asks you if you want to add this to your registry, click yes. done!

it works for Windows 7 too. I suppose it would work with Vista not sure about XP though... :/

Posted

Nice, but looks complicated!

Personally I'd just use the REG files. But a nice find. :)

Posted

Nice and all, but it's the "Context" menu. Is it contextually correct to be there?

Posted

Just install Classic Shell:

ShutdownMenu.png?m=1356901535

Posted

It looks good! Im using it now :)

Posted

in terms of windows 8, if you say.. are in a hurry to meet a girl or need to get to the store quick, right mouse click and you can turn it off in milliseconds verses move said mouse to upper right corner, slect shutdown section... this allows for greater security in terms on quicker ability to shut down your system at home or work.

link to files >>>HERE<<<

just open the zip file and the txt file in notepad, save as a .reg file and add it to your registry..

Posted

I did an edit on the change user entry, it is "dskquoui.dll,2" the 2 is the index.

Posted

Just install Classic Shell:

ShutdownMenu.png?m=1356901535

That's not a content menu, though.