How Does America Watch TV?

How can America watch TV?

I'm just watching Ice Road Truckers but it's quite different to the UK incarnation.

Why is everything so dramatic? It's not entertaining, rather annoying!

Is there ever no music? Why is there so much narration?

Kitchen Nightmares is the same, so dramatic.

Does it not annoy you? Or is it a case of America doesn't know any difference?

Just wondering.

Well, do not lump us all in together :rofl: , I've never seen either of those shows, and honestly ask myself the same questions, as well as who approves these stupid f*cking shows; apparently there is an audience out there. I guess I just do not know anyone from that audience. Here comes a rant, shows like "Real housewives of (insert city)", "Mob wives", "Duck Dynasty" all cater to specific (imo below avg intelligence) individuals - especially the housewives shows.

/rant

I have no experience watching non American tv except for episodes of Kitchen Nightmares on the BBC channel. That show seems to be exactly the same as the US version (except Gordon curses much more on the BBC version). As for all of the reality shows I believe the majority of them are scripted so I think its just another form of entertainment. Only shows I watch at the moment are: Dexter, Breaking Bad, Walking Dead.

yet another fine example as to why I do not watch television (with a few exceptions)

We do not have Television service however, I stream a few shows online with Hulu, BBC and the like.

I'm just watching Ice Road Truckers but it's quite different to the UK incarnation.

Just wondering.

all reality TV is overly dramatic...apparently that leads some to believe it's non-scripted. want a real laugh check out Amish Mafia

Just wondering.

We don't all watch the same thing. I hate all of those stupid reality shows myself.

Just wondering.

I enjoy watching Ice Road Truckers on bskyb 529/30

Lisa Kelly, she is top notch! Hubba Hubba!

iceroad.jpg

Best T.V. from the U.S.A. is The Big Bang Theory!

I also like Storage Wars, Dave Hester is so coooool, YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP!

I really only watch T.V. for the news or live sports, however bskyb 529/30 is the exception.

I used to enjoy Storage Wars too until Hester quit and is suing with allegations it's faked. Haven't seen an episode since I read that...

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1250465

All reality shows are faked/scripted to a certain degree. Take Hardcore Pawn for example, there's no way that pawn shop has that many people coming in wanting to fist fight (even in Detroit.)

Also the numerous repo and towing shows, those are obviously fake because under most state law they aren't allowed to touch you, let alone push you or whatever. Pushing another citizen would be considered simple battery, even if they are repossessing your car.

The one reality show that I think is the least scripted, is Cops. I believe that's considered to be the original reality TV series.

Personally, I don't watch regular TV, just movies. :)

I agree with the background music part most the shows that are not a sitcom have the same music type as the movies Armageddon & Transformers that make everything seem like its the end of the world(or just saved the world) if someone doesn't get over a hill or cut down a certain amount of tree's in a day, Lost was a good example of background music in tv shows and how dramatic it can be it (made me notice the backround score big time, Don't get me wrong I like that type of music score and music can make or break a TV show, game or movie and is an important element to the show it just shouldnt overpower the other elements all the time) as for the scripted part especially the History Channel & Discovery Channel reality shows are 95% not how things really happened (the order of events, fake tension, ect.) but still fun to watch a marathon on occasion :D

Reality shows are terrible. I miss the sitcoms like who's the boss, family matters, diffrnt strokes, silver spoons, etc. this reality garbage made me get rid of cable.

I used to enjoy Storage Wars too until Hester quit and is suing with allegations it's faked. Haven't seen an episode since I read that...

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1250465

Hester didn't quit.

I saw him this week in the new series, season 4.

I did email Dave and said how disappointed I was when I heard he quit, though maybe he listened to his adoring fans and came back!

Maybe reading the story you posted, it might be further on, I last saw (most recent in the U.K.) season 4 series 2.