How Does America Watch TV?

Hester didn't quit.

I saw him this week in the new series, season 4.

I did email Dave and said how disappointed I was when I heard he quit, though maybe he listened to his adoring fans and came back!

Maybe reading the story you posted, it might be further on, I last saw (most recent in the U.K.) season 4 series 2.

They most likely have several episodes that include him that have yet to air...but that's what sparked his lawsuit this past December, A&E's firing him.

https://www.google.com/search?q=a%26e+fires+dave+hester&aq=0&oq=A%26E+fire&aqs=chrome.1.57j0l3j62l2.6585j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Like this, I presume...

watch+tv.jpeg

Only joking :rofl:

Of course you're only joking... that guy is eating fruit!

• Like 2

Best T.V. from the U.S.A. is The Big Bang Theory!

[knock knock] Penny! [knock knock] Penny! [knock knock] Penny!

Penny: [opens door] What?

Sheldon: Guest what?

Penny: [sighs] What?

Sheldon: Our show is the best in America! [Excited]

Penny: I know that. Our producer told me. Calm down, boy!

Sheldon: [makes a weird look at her] Sorry, Penny. [walks away back to his place]

Penny: [closes door]

I've noticed that a lot recently, people putting the word 'anymore' and the end of a sentence, where it totally doesn't fit.

Apparently it's acceptable though... http://en.wikipedia....ositive_anymore

ffs, stop ****ting on my language :'(

Never come across it...and I'm originally from Northern Ireland which seems to feature in the wikipedia article you linked to.

The exception is Judge Judy as everyone likes her! :D

I love the ignorant people she has on her shows. It amazes me sometimes that the human race has made it this far.

Reality shows are terrible. I miss the sitcoms like who's the boss, family matters, diffrnt strokes, silver spoons, etc. this reality garbage made me get rid of cable.

Someone just dated themselves there. :) I miss those too though so I can't really talk. I really used to love Knight Rider, Quantum Leap, McGyver and so forth, but after watching them back on Netflix and reliving them, I can see why the Knight Rider revival was so short lived, and why this stuff just wouldn't make it anymore. Compared to the way it was in the 80's and 90's, today's society is like night and day. We have become so comfortably numb (Yes, I know it's a song), with the drama, nonsense and plain junk that is on today's TV, that if we were to be hit with a sitcom like what used to be popular in those decades, we would quickly dump them.

I think we have become so used to and accustomed to the so-called reality shows (Even if we know they are scripted and they screen applicants out and put two polar opposites on the show to add drama). I agree with another poster that COPS is probably the most unscripted out there, yet if you ask a real cop, or ex-cop what they think about it, they will scoff at it and declare it bunk.

We don't have Cable TV, just Over the Air and that has worked well between Netflix and Redbox for us at least and no commercials! :)

Personally i wonder how they put up with so many adverts :|

Amen. In the US, you don't watch TV shows with ads in them, you watch ads with bits of TV shows in them. It's starting to head that way over here too on some channels...

Amen. In the US, you don't watch TV shows with ads in them, you watch ads with bits of TV shows in them. It's starting to head that way over here too on some channels...

totally true. the worst part is that most of the channels' commercials are at the same time. i really cant stand to watch live tv anymore. i'd much much rather wait a day and watch it on another source. heck, i'll wait for an entire season to pop up on Netflix before watching it.

totally true. the worst part is that most of the channels' commercials are at the same time. i really cant stand to watch live tv anymore. i'd much much rather wait a day and watch it on another source. heck, i'll wait for an entire season to pop up on Netflix before watching it.

Same. Nothing like watching an entire season of something in one sitting!

(??????????????????? )

It's for the same reason that jokes are so terrible here. People in the US need to be slapped across the face with humor and have it shoved down their throat to understand it. And TV shows have to be as overly dramatic as they can possibly be. Subtlety is not received well by our general public. We are a culture of over sensationalizing every possible thing. Everything is the MOST AMAZINGLY FANTASTIC BEST EVER blah blah blah. We've gotten to a point where we use these words so much they have no meaning at all anymore.

In the US, you don't watch TV shows with ads in them, you watch ads with bits of TV shows in them.

Also annoying is that after each ad break, you get shown what happened before the break just in case you had forgotten. Then there's the 'Previously on...' bit at the start of each programme which can last upto 3 minutes.

For every hour of US television, there must be approx. 40 minutes of adverts and 5 minutes of repeated footage. It's almost unbearable!!!

Personally, I like a lot of "Americanized" Shows. I don't watch a lot of the stupid shows out there (Real Housewives, Undateables, etc). But I do watch shows like Arrow, Spartacus, Walking Dead, Elementary, Ghost Adventures, Bearing Sea Gold, Gold Rush Alaska, and the one reality show I do watch.. is Big Brother.

You'd be surprised how many Americans don't watch TV at all. If they get any media, it's on youtube (adventure time + regular show even for the adults and senior citizens). Most folks I know torrent Wrestling shows (I don't, I hate wrestling/sports etc..) And.. nobody watches the Dinosaur media anymore. Get a load of network ratings, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Cable/Direct/Sat start pushing their prices up from losses. I hope TV dies soon..

You'd be surprised how many Americans don't watch TV at all. If they get any media, it's on youtube (adventure time + regular show even for the adults and senior citizens). Most folks I know torrent Wrestling shows (I don't, I hate wrestling/sports etc..) And.. nobody watches the Dinosaur media anymore. Get a load of network ratings, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Cable/Direct/Sat start pushing their prices up from losses. I hope TV dies soon..

Decided my new bug bear isn't the music any more, it's the screen being half filled with TV logos, what's coming up later that evening, what's coming up next, people walking on to the screen to tell me Pawn Wars has a new series... do Americans not have TV guides?

Also sad Ice Road Truckers season 6 doesn't seem as good as series 5... will still watch :p

And to be fair on Americans, Lost, House, Heroes, really good series right there... :)

[knock knock] Penny! [knock knock] Penny! [knock knock] Penny!

Penny: [opens door] What?

Sheldon: Guest what?

Penny: [sighs] What?

Sheldon: Our show is the best in America! [Excited]

Penny: I know that. Our producer told me. Calm down, boy!

Sheldon: [makes a weird look at her] Sorry, Penny. [walks away back to his place]

Penny: [closes door]

ha ha, what's up buttercup?, what's the word, humming bird?, what's the gist physicist?

In the U.K. they have restarted series 6 as with series 2 of 2 broke girls another great show.

Actually most series are the exact same running time. One hour shows like The Walking Dead/Breaking Bad are approx. 43 minutes (leaving 17 for commercial breaks). This is the "standard" for most TV broadcasts, if you've ever downloaded a rip of a tv show with the commercials removed that's usually what you are left with.

One time on a preview to the "next" ice road truckers they showed this truck sliding into a rail from the view inside the cab. You heard a scream. Then when it came time to watch the actual episode and that exact scene arrived, there was no scream.

On another show I was watching, they were transporting something, I think it was part of the shuttle or something in this river or ocean, but they had to go under this bridge. They were saying "If this hits the bridge it could be disastrous. Then when it came time to go under the actual bridge, it did so with no issue. After it made it under the narrator said "It made it under the bridge, but JUST barely!!!" When in fact this thing had TONS of clearance on all sides including the top.

That being said, if they didn't make Ice road truckers a very dramatic show and didn't any narration, it would be one boring ass how.

Sky/virgin used to be so bad for that, it puts me off subscribing to either!

I make do with Freeview/TVCatchup, for all the amount of TV I watch.