First Ouya reviews hit the Internet (And they ain't glowing)

An early handful of Ouya reviews have popped up online as the system makes its way into the hands of early adopters. There's been a steady buzz revolving around the highly hackable, Android-based home console, but initial reactions have been lukewarm at best.

Although the machine seems to have some decent points, common complaints include a seemingly unfinished user interface, hardware that feels cheap in the hand, and a worrying amount of lag between the controller and the console. Engadget and The Verge both bring heavy criticism to the table, and ultimately advise against an investment at this stage.

Continue Reading...

I personally don't see the point in this kind of device (and I'm not talking about your typical console like PS3/360/etc). Most of these games are already available on phones/tablets - just don't see the necessity to play "mobile" games on my TV. I'd rather have a full fledged console experience with better graphics and higher quality games than a **** poor mobile gaming experience.

ny feeling expensive they mean, feels like quality. if it doesn't feel like quality or "cheap" it means it is crap quality. the controller is cheap plastic with terrible battery covers, one of which is so badly placed and made the stick snags in the edge of it, it's a terrible idea of have a split in the plastic between two separate pieces in such a location in the first place.

The machine hasn't had it's official launch. All the units going out at the moment are those for the backers, they aren't even being sent out as review machines. So pulling it apart when there are still months till launch where they can fix issues seems a little premature really.

• Like 2

I personally don't see the point in this kind of device (and I'm not talking about your typical console like PS3/360/etc). Most of these games are already available on phones/tablets - just don't see the necessity to play "mobile" games on my TV. I'd rather have a full fledged console experience with better graphics and higher quality games than a **** poor mobile gaming experience.

Most people don't . so far at BEST 60 thousand people bought it, if everyone who backed it backed enough for a unit. that's one week of sales for any other console.it's not doing as well as everyone claims. and I doubt we'll see a massive pickup when it actually releases for sale. casuals don't care about it and gamers don't care. the only ones who care are the arduino/Raspberry crowd. and they're not going to carry it, certainly not as a gaming device. and as a media hub, both controllers and keyboard are terrible media center controllers, and then you're better of buying a dedicated media hub that doesn't lag and has a nice working remote setup.

The machine hasn't had it's official launch. All the units going out at the moment are those for the backers, they aren't even being sent out as review machines. So pulling it apart when there are still months till launch where they can fix issues seems a little premature really.

It's not going to fix the hardware faults. and many of the software issues are deeply rooted and won't be fixed in that timeframe and many not ever.

I don't expect the world at that price, but I expect it to be functional. I absolutely hate the controller. It is shoddy at best, and that is being nice. I'm ok with the software issues, as those can be, and likely will be fixed. I don't know why I bought it, and I likely won't keep it for a long while either. There is nothing it can do that many other of my devices can't and don't do better. But I do like playing with new toys.

What were people really expecting for under a hundred bucks? You're getting a console that's pretty much more powerful than the Wii, supports 1080p has a full featured controller (with touchpad), provides free demos for all games, allows developers to develop on the console for free, and allows multiplayer gaming. Who gives a crap if the console "feels low quality"?

I get the concerns about the UI, but that's nothing that a software update can't fix, and the games will come in time (any console maker that's not Sony or Microsoft or Nintendo is going to have a hard time getting exclusive games). The only real concern I have reading the reviews is the apparent controller lag that pops up occasionally (according to the Verge review). Hopefully that'll be removed by the time the console sees general release.

These reviews seem to have been done on the basis that the Ouya is competing with the PS4 or Nextbox or WiiU, and I think that's unfair. Even come general release (when I hope most of the fixes will be rolled out), It's like comparing a Raspberry Pi to a PC. Of course the Ouya is going to lose, but a console with many games for under $100? The PS4/Nextbox will be 3-4 times that price.

People should really read some of the comments on that review.

.......Ouya doesn?t actually release until June 4. Reviewing the kickstarter unit kinda misses the point? these guys got in two months early because they backed it. The hardware is final, but Ouya promises a lot more software in June.

IMO, it is completely unfair to review a pre-release product when its viability completely hinges on the software.

I think the reviews coming out are premature. Anyone on the fence about weather or not they would buy

an Ouya should reserve their judgement for the retail package. (The one people can actually buy)

I'm still buying one regardless of reviews. I'm a fan of indie gaming, and I don't need

a game to have the latest and greatest graphics for me to enjoy it. Plus having xbmc really makes this crazy good media device.

I do hope they get that controller lag under control before they go retail as I see this as a serious issue.

I think people really need to adjust their expectations for the Ouya. Its not going to compete with Xbox, Playstation, or Wii (U) but

there are gamers who can appreciate the kind of games that will come to this device.

• Like 2

I hope they did go quiet because of this early coverage. Then once they iron out the manufacturing and improve on the software they can come back and say, yea, we heard you. This is what we've done. The worst thing they can do is a 3RLOD scenario and launch before they iron out manufacturing qualms. If they ignore this and don't respond to it by launch nobody will bother with the ouya, $100 android devices are becoming more common, and playing across several different ones using your play store purchases is always a bonus.

By now, you've probably come across a review or two for the Android-based OUYA console. The current version of this system that was sent out to Kickstarter backers has been criticized for a number of issues, ranging from a lacking software library to an undesirable user interface and controller. Generally, it sounds like what you might expect to find as an early adopter.

"We will be making OUYA review units available in early to mid-May so that you are able to review the more complete consumer experience and prepare your coverage in time for the June 4th retail launch," a representative told GamesIndustry International. "To clarify for you -- OUYA has sent no review units out to press. Any reviews you have seen online are a result from individuals who received early backer units from supporting our Kickstarter."

This rep said the current phase will be used "to test our eco-system and fine-tune the experience" for the wider OUYA audience. "The software, store, games will continue to evolve and grow, and as early backers who have exclusive access during this period before launch, we want you to be a part of that process," reads a post on the official blog. We'll be watching.

Ouya responds to negative reviews [GamesIndustry International]

http://www.destructoid.com/these-things-take-time-ouya-reacts-to-early-reviews-250969.phtml

The software issues might be solvable, but the hardware isn't going to change.

It seems like the backers, the people who made it possible, are the ones also doing beta testing :laugh:

Why do a feel people on this site are becoming unrealistic in there expectation of things? A little elitist at points aswell.

Care to elaborate on that or are you just happy with insulting all of us with generalisations?

Care to elaborate on that or are you just happy with insulting all of us with generalisations?

It seems to me like people are expecting a full-blown MS/Sony/Nintendo competitor for a third of the price, and from a startup with no prior experience. It's a friggin' Tegra 3 chip with 1GB of RAM, it's not going to win any awards for being a powerhouse, but it has the potential to be a nice little low-power device that can serve up games (and streaming maybe?) for a fraction of what we'll pay for an Xbox or PS4 or Wii U.

People expecting it to be a revolutionary console to out-gun the XBox and/or PS4 are going to be disappointed, but then their expectations are so unrealistic that they were always going to be disappointed.

Most of the "Bad stuff" that The Verge mentions will probably be fixed in the future though. I still believe that Ouya will be popular in the long run, and I might get it myself. They just need to bring out some more/better games and fix up their interface.

It seems to me like people are expecting a full-blown MS/Sony/Nintendo competitor for a third of the price, and from a startup with no prior experience. It's a friggin' Tegra 3 chip with 1GB of RAM, it's not going to win any awards for being a powerhouse, but it has the potential to be a nice little low-power device that can serve up games (and streaming maybe?) for a fraction of what we'll pay for an Xbox or PS4 or Wii U.

People expecting it to be a revolutionary console to out-gun the XBox and/or PS4 are going to be disappointed, but then their expectations are so unrealistic that they were always going to be disappointed.

Sure it's a fraction of console gaming, but it's also a fraction of the console gaming experience. You're essentially playing mobile like games on this. I have a phone and tablet for that, and my PC/360 for true gaming. I just don't see how/why this device is even relevant and can't fathom people wanting this. Guess it's just not for me.

I don't think anyone is expecting any of that. I think half of the problem is people don't know exactly what to expect. I think a lot of people jumped at this in the concept stage and now are regretting getting so excited about it.

this thing is way too expensive for what it is. rumors are a new xbox360 will be released for $99 this year. maybe for $25-$30 it would have a market,and could compete with a raspberry pi,but other than that, good night sweet princess.