• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Motorola Moto G

Posted 06 April 2013 - 20:34

This to me seems like a simple bug. I know some of you guys are keen to help and I appreciate this. But I would prefer sensible answers only please.

It's a very well documented "feature" of Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8 based systems. See if this link helps you:

http://www.itworld.c...-doesnt-refresh

#17 OP jebus197

jebus197

Neowinian

Posted 06 April 2013 - 20:38

The issue is that a folder's contents are not properly auto-refreshed, when a new file/folder is created, or an existing file/folder is placed into the folder, or an existing file/folder is deleted from the folder
... right?

It's a Windows 7 bug, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was happening in Windows 8 as well.
I believe it has to do with the folder being included in a library, or the user is viewing a "library folder".

Assuming your folder is somehow related to a library, you might try excluding some folders from the library, testing for the issue, then bringing the folders back into the library, and retesting.
Oh, and post your results! I'm interested too!

Regards,
Jacob

I'll disable libraries. I have no use for them. I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks for possibly the only sensible answer so far.

#18 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 06 April 2013 - 20:41

Thanks for possibly the only sensible answer so far.

Good luck with help in the future, people tried to help you and also pointed out mistakes you made....

#19 OP jebus197

jebus197

Neowinian

Posted 06 April 2013 - 20:58

Good luck with help in the future, people tried to help you and also pointed out mistakes you made....

I haven't made any mistakes mate. Everything was working just hunk dory before the Windows 8 upgrade and it's all working fine now, except for this one smal irritating bug. If I can work out how to disable libraries in Windows 8 there is it seems something of a consensus on the internet that this should resolve the problem. unfortunately the .reg file that was available for Windows 7 to do this doesn't work on Windows 8.

#20 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 06 April 2013 - 21:08

I haven't made any mistakes mate. Everything was working just hunk dory before the Windows 8 upgrade and it's all working fine now, except for this one smal irritating bug. If I can work out how to disable libraries in Windows 8 there is it seems something of a consensus on the internet that this should resolve the problem. unfortunately the .reg file that was available for Windows 7 to do this doesn't work on Windows 8.

You ran an upgrade on your OS

Upgrades do that - but then again, so does 8

7 works, 8 doesn't. << Not a dig at 8, things that should work from 7 > 8 from every guide and correct reasoning, don't.

8 is the hacked joint that 8 fans will only realise once 9 is here. (EDIT - I hope)

#21 OP jebus197

jebus197

Neowinian

Posted 06 April 2013 - 21:23

This is the first upgrade in over 20 years I ever did. Every other OS install I have ever done has been a clean install. If it was a mistake it was a deliberate mistake and what seemed like a small gamble. Yes upgrades don't always go according to plan, but neither are they always the disasters that you appear to be implying. I gambled, and largely correctly, that given the level of work involved in the alternatives and because i got my Windows 8 Upgrade disk for just over $15, it was worth giving it a shot.

I don't like Windows 8 much however, and if I did make a mistake that was probably the only mistake I made.

#22 OP jebus197

jebus197

Neowinian

Posted 06 April 2013 - 21:30

The issue is that a folder's contents are not properly auto-refreshed, when a new file/folder is created, or an existing file/folder is placed into the folder, or an existing file/folder is deleted from the folder
... right?

It's a Windows 7 bug, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was happening in Windows 8 as well.
I believe it has to do with the folder being included in a library, or the user is viewing a "library folder".

Assuming your folder is somehow related to a library, you might try excluding some folders from the library, testing for the issue, then bringing the folders back into the library, and retesting.
Oh, and post your results! I'm interested too!

Regards,
Jacob

This dude hit the nail on the head. Five god stars for you I think. It is unquestionably the libraries feature that was causing this problem. With libraries disabled the problem has vanished! So much for needing to do a total reinstall from scratch, or rebuild from backups. I knew there had to be a simpler solution. What guys who recommend drastic action for simple problems don't understand it that you don't need to do a full OS reinstall every time Windows throws a small fit and that with care and patience you can probably work through most things. Perhaps you may all think twice before accusing people like me, or the guy who dug up this solution of 'lacking in experience'! Maybe there are some n00bs here, but I and this dude sure as hell ain't one of them!

#23 PUC_Snakeman

PUC_Snakeman

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 06 April 2013 - 22:17

Thanks. I was hoping Microsoft would have fixed this issue, but... it looks like they haven't.
Good luck.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!