How to permanently disable libraries in Windows 8?

Windows easy transfer, which sucked major balls and was about as reliable as my local crack dealer.

On this I'm with you. The USMT (User State Migration Tool) worked and held lots of promise of making life easier, but when automated is/was too hit and miss. :/

I see. Troubleshooting can be frustrating in and of itself. Being frustrated in a contentious Neowin tech thread will probably end the way this one seems to be, lol.

Without a doubt a more mellow approach next time around will probably be more productive. :D

No, no, dude. Just a case of credit where credit's due I think. Neowin did used to be full of guys like you, guys like us, maybe 10 or more years ago when I first joined (I took a break for a while hence the join date), guys who believed in finding real solutions to problems and 'troubleshooting' as you put it (something that seems to be alien to many of the people here). I don't have much patience I admit for dumb pointless answers. I was just a bit surprised how bad things around here had become.

Ironically when you think about it, this desktop refresh feature is almost an admission by MS of how much their OS sucks. They have gone along it seems with users peception that when things go wrong maybe the best thing to do is to bin (almost) everything and start again from nothing.

My approach - and a true tech's approach, is to have a natural instinct to want to find the source of the problem and fix things. Maybe some of the guys here will learn this one day too.

Have you tried "sfc /scannow" in cmd prompt

Im not a super duper sys admin, far from it. But times when I've messed around with stuff when I didn't really know what I was doing and broke said stuff. the system file checker has found the broken files and replaced them for me.

Have you tried "sfc /scannow" in cmd prompt

Im not a super duper sys admin, far from it. But times when I've messed around with stuff when I didn't really know what I was doing and broke said stuff. the system file checker has found the broken files and replaced them for me.

Another great answer! Love your tag too! Here's the lesson you guys should take from all of this if you really want to be techs or system admins. It can be summed up briefly as follows. "Troubleshoot first, reinstall last!"

It's sad that this idea has become so alien to so many people on here.

Another great answer! Love your tag too! Here's the lesson you guys should take from all of this if you really want to be techs or system admins. It can be summed up briefly as follows. "Troubleshoot first, reinstall last!"

It's sad that this idea has become so alien to so many people on here.

no, whats sad is you are a major troll.

You have someone on these boards who helped develop librarires and you blow them off. You said yourself "i know what im doing" then why are you here looking for help? You come off as arrogant, and down right rude because you dont like the answers given.

You said yourself in the other thread you used your win 7 install for 2 years, customized it to high hell to fit your needs and now you wonder why some stuff isnt working on your UPGRADE install. I dont have the icon bug, so its your OS install.

Honestly i hope no one comes to help in your threads anymore because you act like a prick to members who do know what they are doing, and are trying to find the solution.

I still dont see how it takes weeks to reload apps and data, and you keep thinking when we say use Windows 8 refresh that it means refresh the desktop, please read up on what windows 8 refresh is before thinking that again, and maybe just maybe some more people will actually try to help you until then i hope you come across more bugs that you cannot troubleshoot and no one is willing to help you.

Your biggest problem is wondering why a tweaked out 2 year old windows 7 install to upgrade of windows 8 has random bugs, but then again you know what your doing you say and were all just idiots who are on drugs and dont know how to troubleshoot.

• Like 2

no, whats sad is you are a major troll.

You have someone on these boards who helped develop librarires and you blow them off. You said yourself "i know what im doing" then why are you here looking for help? You come off as arrogant, and down right rude because you dont like the answers given.

You said yourself in the other thread you used your win 7 install for 2 years, customized it to high hell to fit your needs and now you wonder why some stuff isnt working on your UPGRADE install. I dont have the icon bug, so its your OS install.

Honestly i hope no one comes to help in your threads anymore because you act like a prick to members who do know what they are doing, and are trying to find the solution.

I still dont see how it takes weeks to reload apps and data, and you keep thinking when we say use Windows 8 refresh that it means refresh the desktop, please read up on what windows 8 refresh is before thinking that again, and maybe just maybe some more people will actually try to help you until then i hope you come across more bugs that you cannot troubleshoot and no one is willing to help you.

Your biggest problem is wondering why a tweaked out 2 year old windows 7 install to upgrade of windows 8 has random bugs, but then again you know what your doing you say and were all just idiots who are on drugs and dont know how to troubleshoot.

I don't need to say any more about this. You are what you are, so enjoy it. You like doing frequent reinstalls and 'refreshes' then bully for you. May they always work for you as you hope. I can predict however that if you do this often enough, on more than one occasion it's likely that things will not go nearly as according to plan as you hoped.

As for 'why don't I fix it'. I think you have missed the point. I think I may already have. You have come here shouting and full of bluster after the door has been closed and everyone else has left. Also just for the record, it's utter and complete nonsense to describe my previous Windows 7 install as 'having the hell tweaked out of it'. It had libraries and possibly homegroup disabled (although I'm not certain about homegroup) the only other customisations were having certain things arranged in my start menu in a specific order and a few other small aesthetic changes. But nothing on the registry or OS level beyond the disabled libraries registry tweak.

Also to be clear I do know what I'm doing. I do know that troubleshooting should be the first approach to solving problems of this nature rather than attempting major reconstructive (and in my case also costly) work first. I specifically accused people who resort to major reconstructive work first to resolve even very simple problems like this of not knowing what they are doing. As of the present moment, due to my own efforts and possibly the advice of one or two respondents on this thread, I have exactly zero issues with my system. Judge for yourself who's approach was the most successful. I hope this clears things up for you.

I don't need to say any more about this. You are what you are, so enjoy it. You like doing frequent reinstalls and 'refreshes' then bully for you. May they always work for you as you hope. I can predict however that if you do this often enough, on more than one occasion it's likely that things will not go nearly as according to plan as you hoped.

As for 'why don't I fix it'. I think you have missed the point. I think I may already have. You have come here shouting and full of bluster after the door has been closed and everyone else has left. Also just for the record, it's utter and complete nonsense to describe my previous Windows 7 install as 'having the hell tweaked out of it'. It had libraries and possibly homegroup disabled (although I'm not certain about homegroup) the only other customisations were having certain things arranged in my start menu in a specific order and a few other small aesthetic changes. But nothing on the registry or OS level beyond the disabled libraries registry tweak.

Also to be clear I do know what I'm doing. I do know that troubleshooting should be the first approach to solving problems of this nature rather than attempting major reconstructive (and in my case also costly) work first. I specifically accuse people who resort to major reconstructive work first to resolve even very simple problems like this of not knowing what they are doing. I hope this clears things up for you.

you yourself said it takes two weeks to reload, and customize thats more than just 2 disable items, either way good luck in the future getting any help from anyone here with your attitude.

you yourself said it takes two weeks to reload, and customize thats more than just 2 disable items, either way good luck in the future getting any help from anyone here with your attitude.

I have no attitude. But I won't have you or anyone else attempt to make me look a fool. I have my system configured in exactly the way I want it. Why on earth would I want to change that when there is no need to?

Could have already reloaded everything in the length of these 2 threads :rolleyes: Goodluck...

I refer you to my previous answers. A reload, or reinstall is not a solution to a problem. It's a last resort, maybe, sometimes ... Rarely is preferable. Anyway I'll help you along. All the guys who think that troubleshooting is a waste of time and that a 'refresh' or reinstall is always the best solution to any computer problem, please block me now. It's clear we have nothing in common.

I have no attitude. But I won't have you or anyone else attempt to make me look a fool. I have my system configured in exactly the way I want it. Why on earth would I want to change that when there is no need to?

I refer you to my previous answers. A reload, or reinstall is not a solution to a problem. It's a last resort, maybe, sometimes ... Rarely is preferable. Anyway I'll help you along. All the guys who think that troubleshooting is a waste of time and that a 'refresh' or reinstall is always the best solution to any computer problem, please block me now. It's clear we have nothing in common.

i think what you are failing to realize is the reason we are recommending that is because you did an UPGRADE install from a 2 year install, OBVIOUSLY troubleshooting is the first option but when you didnt start clean to begin with its hard to troubleshoot, also the fact a lot of us running a clean 8 install dont have the issues you are having.

once again you are still showing you have no idea how the refresh option works

When you use the Refresh feature, Windows is still technically starting over with a fresh install of the operating system. The main difference is that the Refresh process automatically sets aside your data, Windows settings, and Metro apps, then puts them back where they belong once the OS is reinstalled. The result is a clean slate for your OS, but with your configuration settings and data intact.

From MSDN Blog

Refreshing your PC goes like this:

1. The PC boots into Windows RE.
  2. Windows RE scans the hard drive for your data, settings, and apps, and puts them aside (on the same drive).
  3. Windows RE installs a fresh copy of Windows.
  4. Windows RE restores the data, settings, and apps it has set aside into the newly installed copy of Windows.
  5. The PC restarts into the newly installed copy of Windows.

I know who this is; it is Miss Broadman in drag. . .that is why he is acting like a. . .and by the way no is making you look like a fool don't need too you are doing just find by yourself. . . :D

once again you are still showing you have no idea how the refresh option works

When you use the Refresh feature, Windows is still technically starting over with a fresh install of the operating system. The main difference is that the Refresh process automatically sets aside your data, Windows settings, and Metro apps, then puts them back where they belong once the OS is reinstalled. The result is a clean slate for your OS, but with your configuration settings and data intact.

From MSDN Blog

Refreshing your PC goes like this:

1. The PC boots into Windows RE.
  2. Windows RE scans the hard drive for your data, settings, and apps, and puts them aside (on the same drive).
  3. Windows RE installs a fresh copy of Windows.
  4. Windows RE restores the data, settings, and apps it has set aside into the newly installed copy of Windows.
  5. The PC restarts into the newly installed copy of Windows.

Yeah well that's kind of half a constructive answer I guess. But I have read horror stories of this process too where things didn't work out as users hoped. Particularly the issue of reinstalling all of my paid for apps would be a major pain. As I've said more than a few times now I don't have all of the licence numbers for everything I have installed. If you want a raw count, I have 222 apps installed in both my program files directories. You are not going to convince me, nor does my experience inform me that I can put all of these back in an hour.

I don't use Metro. A 2.5 year old non-touch screen system has no use for it. Besides which are you guys seriously still recommending a reinstall despite the fact that the issue currently seems to have been resolved? I won't be changing anything, as currently there is nothing to fix.

Yeah well that's kind of half a constructive answer I guess. But I have read horror stories of this process too where things didn't work out as users hoped. Particularly the issue of reinstalling all of my paid for apps would be a major pain. As I've said more than a few times now I don't have all of the licence numbers for everything I have installed. If you want a raw count, I have 222 apps installed in both my program files directories. You are not going to convince me, nor does my experience inform me that I can put all of these back in an hour.

I don't use Metro. A 2.5 year old non-touch screen system has no use for it. Besides which are you guys seriously still recommending a reinstall despite the fact that the issue currently seems to have been resolved? I won't be changing anything, as currently there is nothing to fix.

As mentioned before, a good admin would make an image backup of the OS prior to doing anything.

But since you just said there is nothing to fix, I am going to close this thread, it has run its course.