32 replies to this topic

#16 Guth

Guth

Alba Gu Bráth

• 803 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:50

Whatsapp is awesome!
Im from the UK but I work offshore on oil rigs - no phone service there. But there is wifi, so now I can text home since all my family has whatsapp :)
Up until whatsapp started getting popular we had to queue to use the phones.
I also travel a lot for work, texting from abroad on a UK contract is extortionate. Sometimes £1.50 a text.
Now I can just use whatsapp! (aslong as I have wifi)

#17 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• 21,348 posts
  • Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:57

This purchase makes no sense, except to block whatsapp from being on other platforms, google already has their own messaging service that does the same as this crappy app. Good thing no one uses it over here. Honestly most people here st SMS, most have Eire free SMS' or their so cheap it doesn't matter and you always now the other person has that, instead of using, whatsapp, kik, and all the other "free" messengers.

A crappy app? It's used by millions of people, most of whom find it very useful. I mainly use it for the group messaging feature and being able to send pictures and videos easily. Most of my friends don't have MMS and there's nothing preventing me from switching between WhatsApp and SMS. If you don't like WhatsApp, then that's fine... but there's no reason to call it crappy.

I think Google wants to tap into WhatsApp's large user base and I fear that they'll stop development of the WP and maybe even BB versions. If they stop developing the iOS version, then they'll be shooting themselves in the foot because a large chunk of WhatsApp users use it.

#18 ichi

ichi

Akihabara Style

• 4,897 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 13:05

I think Google wants to tap into WhatsApp's large user base and I fear that they'll stop development of the WP and maybe even BB versions. If they stop developing the iOS version, then they'll be shooting themselves in the foot because a large chunk of WhatsApp users use it.

I don't think they would stop developing those versions, at least certainly not the iOS one.

For other services like maps or mail they can affort treating other platforms like second rate citizens but not for a messaging client when precisely the success or failure of that kind of platform is entirely dependant on the number of users.
Then again they might do what they are doing now with GTalk: use the standard XMPP protocol allowing any third party client to connect to the service... which IMO would be even better than releasing Whatsapp for every OS.

#19 Elessar

Elessar

Professional Daydreamer

• 1,893 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 13:13

And what makes this better than something like trillian that does the same thing PLUS connects to pretty much every other social networking product AS WELL?

As a fan/user of Trillian, I honestly don't see the different between the two apps, aside from userbase.

#20 Brian M.

Brian M.

Neowinian Senior

• 12,605 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 14:48

The whole benefit of using WhatsApp for alot of people is that it's cross-platform. We use it extensively to hold group chats between multiple people on multiple different platforms.

The way Google has been acting lately I wouldn't be surprised if they bought it and killed off the non-android versions.

#21 The Laughing Man

The Laughing Man

Neowinian Senior

• 2,964 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 14:54

First off, how the hell is it worth 1 Billion. Second WTF.

#22 sundayx

sundayx

• 12,035 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 14:59

Funny thing, I was thinking of this just this morning. It's extremely popular in Hong Kong. Everyone in my family uses it to contact one another. I mean, my aunts and uncles and everyone in the family are in different 'chats' it's a great way to have everyone stay informed.

#23 ShareShiz

ShareShiz

Neowinian

• 969 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 15:15

The fact that almost everybody has it, unlike Trillian? Now, if only it could make calls and let those greedy operators rot in hell...

I'd never heard of it til today. No one I know has it. Maybe is an American thing.

Never heard of WhatsApp, I've heard and have used Trillian on my desktop. I only use gTalk.

#24 Damien R.

Damien R.

XXIX

• 119,528 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia

Posted 07 April 2013 - 15:22

I used it for a bit on my blackberry but kinda hated it and was a drain on the battery, Google if they buy it will take the Blackberry app away

#25 Co_Co

Co_Co

g status

• 6,290 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 16:52

long live whatsapp, independent without any of googles crapy UI or tie-ins.

whatsapp looks native on every platform not unified and out of place on all of them. its quick, barebones and does the job. i cant see it getting better only worse.

#26 leesmithg

leesmithg

The Major!

• 9,471 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 19:45

I looked at the O2 UK website and indeed in your country you get unlimited messages with almost every contract, that's very likely the reason you never heard of it. When you pay 20 cents for every message and you send thousands you quickly start to look to alternatives.

I don't use a cell phone either!

#27 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,715 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 20:03

I'd never heard of it til today. No one I know has it. Maybe is an American thing.

I live in the USA and almost everyone I know has a smart phone, and I've never heard of this before today and obviously never seen anyone with it either

#28 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 5,925 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 07 April 2013 - 20:09

I don't have it, till I read this article I never heard of it before.

I say sell now before google change their mind and buy windows live messenger.

Even though Im from the UK and get unlimited texts, overseas texts aren't free, neither are MMS's. So I use it for those.

#29 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 20:14

First off, how the hell is it worth 1 Billion. Second WTF.

Didn't Facebook buy Instagram for a similar amount ?

#30 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:28

I live in the USA and almost everyone I know has a smart phone, and I've never heard of this before today and obviously never seen anyone with it either

Plus I have unlimited texting on my smartphone plan since it's a feature I use for my job as well as personal.