Photo

Paul Thurrott: Next Xbox is expensive - 500$ or 300$ for sub

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 +Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 07 April 2013 - 19:04

On the latest WhatTheTech podcast, Paul Thurrott weighed in on the NeXtbox rumors shared some info from his sources.

Posted Image

What The Tech Ep. 159 - Facebook Home 4-5-13

Apparently Microsoft is launching a 99$ Xbox 360 codenamed "Stingray" this November alongside of the Next Xbox.
According to Paul this is because the next Xbox isn't going to offer backwards compatibility for 360 games.

He mentions that it's going to be expensive. Apparently around 500$ for a normal unit, or 300$ for a subscription model.
It was also relayed to him that the device does indeed require a constant internet connection to function

PT via NeoGAF: http://www.neogaf.co...ad.php?t=536163

#2 simrat

simrat

pooonjabi!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia 603 Symbian belle fp2, Xperia SL 4.1.2

Posted 07 April 2013 - 19:08

PS3 costs around 500$ in India, and i expect PS4 to be at same price when it launches here. Xbox was cheaper though, will wait for official price announcement as i am really thinking to buy a new console this year.

#3 +Majesticmerc

Majesticmerc

Resident Idealist

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: HTC One X

Posted 07 April 2013 - 19:09

This could all be true... If Microsoft has gone off the deep end.

#4 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900 / Oneplus One

Posted 07 April 2013 - 19:12

Yeah ok Paul. You were wrong on so so so many things related to Windows and Windows Phone in the past that most people have pretty much regarded you as a trash source. You also tend to throw a major ****y fit when Microsoft doesn't give you insider access.

Always on thing aside, MS isn't stupid enough to make the next console $500. They saw what having the more expensive console did to Sony and they aren't going to release a new console that costs almost $100 more than the PS4.

You stopped being relevant a long time ago.

#5 .Markus

.Markus

supertramp

Posted 07 April 2013 - 19:19

Sounds like a bunch of made up stuff just for personal publicity and with usual Microsoft name-shaming...

#6 F_C

F_C

Neowinian

Posted 07 April 2013 - 19:23

Out of interest, what kind of things has Paul get wrong?
I always thought he was quite reliable, but I'm probably very wrong! :)

#7 t3chmachine

t3chmachine

Neowinian

Posted 07 April 2013 - 19:34

I do think Paul is reliable more than others. You might be talking about that TMZ network called TWIT with Leo Laporte. That network is a joke all they do is ask for you to buy from their sponsors and you listen to them read news from Tech Crunch, TechSpot, Neowin, Engadget, and The Verge.

#8 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 April 2013 - 19:37

Yeah ok Paul. You were wrong on so so so many things related to Windows and Windows Phone in the past that most people have pretty much regarded you as a trash source. You also tend to throw a major ****y fit when Microsoft doesn't give you insider access.

Always on thing aside, MS isn't stupid enough to make the next console $500. They saw what having the more expensive console did to Sony and they aren't going to release a new console that costs almost $100 more than the PS4.

You stopped being relevant a long time ago.

It's not just him saying these things though, sources all around the internet, people in and out of the industry are all meshing together.

I'll be happy to eat crow if this is all incorrect but Microsoft is arrogant enough to make these mistakes, they did it all this generation making people pay to play online and having all the apps and stuff behind a paywall irregardless of how successful it was, its not like people have a choice if they want Xbox they HAVE to pay or they can't play with their friends.

Lets sum up:

Always online required even for SP games
Anti used games
Probably will still have a paywall for online play and apps
More media centric than games focused
Potentially weaker specs than PS4
$500

This has trainwreck written all over it.

#9 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 07 April 2013 - 19:39

^ wow, seem to have something personal against Paul. he isn't wrong on alot of stuff though.

And microsoft has made ALOT of stupid decisions the past 5 years, so making a few more wouldn't be surprising at all.

That's how guessing works, especially when your guesses are an either/or, half the time you will be right.

Either way, if it's always online and online required(two different things) then there will be a good reason for it. and some of the options are very positive for a lot of gamers with no negatives for all but a handfull.

#10 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 April 2013 - 19:41

five hundred is what we expect to pay..no news here.

#11 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 April 2013 - 19:45

It's not just him saying these things though, sources all around the internet, people in and out of the industry are all meshing together.

I'll be happy to eat crow if this is all incorrect but Microsoft is arrogant enough to make these mistakes, they did it all this generation making people pay to play online and having all the apps and stuff behind a paywall irregardless of how successful it was, its not like people have a choice if they want Xbox they HAVE to pay or they can't play with their friends.

Lets sum up:

Always online required even for SP games
Anti used games
Probably will still have a paywall for online play and apps
More media centric than gamer focused
$500

This has trainwreck written all over it.

IF there online required(always online is something else) it will essentially be the same fucntion as the anti used games, as that means it's the same as the third rumor that all games will need to be installed. which means all games will be treated as digital downloads and the disk is just another delivery of the data.

IF that's how it works, I see that as a positive not a negative.

Not sure what you mean with your paywall or online play and apps. the solver gold will possibly stay the same if that's what you mean, but noone knows anythign about that yet.

what do you mean more media centric, it's games and media centric. games furst, but it can also do media just like the current xbox, just better. yeha, what a terrible thing that is :rolleyes:

the price another rumor form the oh so trusty Paul, who was a complete trainwreck over Vista rumors, 7 rumors and 8 rumors... either way. The hardware is worth it. his rumor also says it costs 300 if you buy it with 1 year of XBL.

Also, irregardless is not a word.

#12 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 April 2013 - 19:49

IF there online required(always online is something else) it will essentially be the same fucntion as the anti used games, as that means it's the same as the third rumor that all games will need to be installed. which means all games will be treated as digital downloads and the disk is just another delivery of the data.

IF that's how it works, I see that as a positive not a negative.

If you install a game on 360 currently it still requires a disc in the drive, I HIGHLY doubt that they will allow game installs to play without the disc in the drive. Anti used games isn't a positive either, neither is console suspending your game after 3 minutes without internet.

Not sure what you mean with your paywall or online play and apps. the solver gold will possibly stay the same if that's what you mean, but noone knows anythign about that yet.

Exactly everything is behind a paywall, I admit Sony hasn't shared its plans yet but its unlikely Microsoft will change its model considering how successful Gold is which means all the good apps, web browser, playing online will all be locked out to basic accounts.

what do you mean more media centric, it's games and media centric. games furst, but it can also do media just like the current xbox, just better. yeha, what a terrible thing that is :rolleyes:

If the rumours are true the specs are a lot weaker than the PS4, the rumours about tuners and all that means that the console is geared more towards media which means games take a backseat, when you spend $500 on a GAMING console you want it to be GAMING focused.

Also, irregardless is not a word.

That's nice dear, don't have a credible argument, lets pick on people spellings.

#13 srbeen

srbeen

Neowinian

Posted 07 April 2013 - 20:14

Heard about the 'stingray' before, and the $99 was a subscription model price, where you were required to buy xbox live for 2 years similar to a cell phone subscription, and it always needed to be online to be used. Seeing as 360s were outright being sold several times this year for the $100 mark, it wouldn't suprise me that a board redesign could be done and the disc drive mechanics could be switched similar to the new PS3 style to further cut costs and power consumption to fuel a profitable $100 sale. Seems MS is going to keep their 360 cash cow around, which signals to me their successor won't be revolutionary, or compatible with xbox/360 titles, but for sure A+ titles won't be releasing on the 360 any longer to drive sales...

As for the next xbox, I heard nothing but rumors from every nook and cranny. My take is the 360s successor will NOT REQUIRE an always on internet connection when all is said and done, but will fail to properly function (reduced onboard firmware features) but be assured that the successor to that console that will release in like 2018 WILL have this requirement, and will be no more than a local decryptor. Hype it up now so people think 'phew, glad they didn't do that this time!' so they are more understanding of it later, as MS could make this requirement after-sale too. I understand their online always goal of having a 'live' or virtual firmware/update/dashboard system, so electronic hackers can't steal games if everything is streamed to the unit rather than locally stored...

#14 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 16
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 07 April 2013 - 20:18

PS3 costs around 500$ in India, and i expect PS4 to be at same price when it launches here. Xbox was cheaper though, will wait for official price announcement as i am really thinking to buy a new console this year.

i'm actually betting the PS4 with both be cheaper than the PS3 release price and cheaper than the next xbox (not including the gimped base model microsoft is most likely gonna release)

#15 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 April 2013 - 20:29

If you install a game on 360 currently it still requires a disc in the drive, I HIGHLY doubt that they will allow game installs to play without the disc in the drive. Anti used games isn't a positive either, neither is console suspending your game after 3 minutes without internet.

So we're only selectively believing the rumors that fit out anit box agenda now ? all games being treated as Gamed on Demand is another rumor, which happens to coincide with these. and being able to ply without a disc was half of the "games need to be installed" rumor....