Paul Thurrott: Next Xbox is expensive - 500$ or 300$ for sub

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#16 ShareShiz

ShareShiz

Neowinian

Posted 07 April 2013 - 20:29

Just RUMORS -_-

I like the $99 version. Games (offline/online) and HTPC is all I need.

#17 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 07 April 2013 - 20:30

i'm actually betting the PS4 with both be cheaper than the PS3 release price and cheaper than the next xbox (not including the gimped base model microsoft is most likely gonna release)

I don't expect two models of the next Xbox this time around, they're going to make sure there's one model so that devs who make apps as well as games can target. Things like a hdd as default which is really the only piece of hardware you can mess with for a console. What we do get could be a model with different size hdds again or with and without Kinect 2 but nothing "gimped".

#18 matt4444

matt4444

Neowinian

Posted 07 April 2013 - 20:30

Paul blocked me on Twitter.

#19 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 07 April 2013 - 20:35

If the rumours are true the specs are a lot weaker than the PS4, the rumours about tuners and all that means that the console is geared more towards media which means games take a backseat, when you spend $500 on a GAMING console you want it to be GAMING focused.

We've been over this before, specs don't make games better, and none of us know how much the other functions of the 360 affects performance yet either so they may perform equally.

Also I have seen no rumor about tuners, but HDMI in.

As or media, last I checked PS4 was also media focused, but hey lets ignore that. doesn't fit the agenda.

personally software quality is more important to me than minor difference in specs and performance that will translate to nothing in the real world. And if MS follows up on the rumors and allows multitasking with other apps in the background and modern apps. they've got a winner. Spotify streaming in the music in the background, hell yeah, quick switching between the game I'm playing an modern apps. oh yeah.

#20 NightmarE D

NightmarE D

Proud father

Posted 07 April 2013 - 20:54

Hi...I am Paul Thurrott. I usually get stuff wrong when I report it. Then when others have info that may be true and I didn't get it first, I turn into a spoiled brat. I then go on to report what the others are saying and throw in a little BS to make it appear as if i I knew all along and start talking trash about Microsoft. This usually gets me some e-mails from Microsoft telling me to shut up and gives me the scoop to make sure that I do.

Been doing this for years now and they fall for it each time. Remember when I called for the world to boycott IE 7 because I knew nothing about it and threw a hissy? Same thing.

#21 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 April 2013 - 21:17

Hi...I am Paul Thurrott. I usually get stuff wrong when I report it. Then when others have info that may be true and I didn't get it first, I turn into a spoiled brat. I then go on to report what the others are saying and throw in a little BS to make it appear as if i I knew all along and start talking trash about Microsoft. This usually gets me some e-mails from Microsoft telling me to shut up and gives me the scoop to make sure that I do.

Been doing this for years now and they fall for it each time. Remember when I called for the world to boycott IE 7 because I knew nothing about it and threw a hissy? Same thing.

Sounds like the typical blogger.

#22 Eric

Eric

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 11

Posted 07 April 2013 - 21:20

Paul blocked me on Twitter.

I wouldn't be surprised. I got the same response from Gabe Newell when I tried to ask him to clarify his position on Windows 8. Everyone's all mouth and no ears nowadays on the internets.

#23 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 07 April 2013 - 21:23

Actually always online/DRM sounds appropriate for a cheap subscription device. Not sure why the vitriol towards Thurott, for this. This rumor has been buzzing around for over a year without a denial by Microsoft. Makes sense to me.

I actually think MS wants out of the console business or only wants a subscription model.

#24 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 07 April 2013 - 21:34

Actually always online/DRM sounds appropriate for a cheap subscription device. Not sure why the vitriol towards Thurott, for this. This rumor has been buzzing around for over a year without a denial by Microsoft. Makes sense to me.

I actually think MS wants out of the console business or only wants a subscription model.

I don't think they want out at all, what they do want is to make it more than just a game console. Core gaming is small compared to everything else media related. Apple tv, roku and so on are direct competitors for the center of your living room. MS has said it already but more time is spent on the 360 doing other things besides gaming. They already have a subscription model as well with gold, selling you the system for less but with a 2 year gold sub sounds fine to many people.

Keeping the 360 around for a while at the lower $99 price point just shows that they want to target it at the more media centric users out there till the new Xbox can come down more in price.

#25 +Majesticmerc

Majesticmerc

Resident Idealist

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: HTC One X

Posted 07 April 2013 - 21:37

Assuming the rumours are true though, $300 is A LOT of money for a subscription device, especially if the PS4 is going to release at the same price without any subscription BS.

The way I see it, Microsoft are playing a risky (but perhaps wise) game here by keeping us in the dark with these rumours. Imagine the following:
  • Microsoft announces NeXbox
  • No rumoured always-connected DRM.
  • Releases at the same price as PS4.
  • Full support for used games (without needing to pay for a pass).
The internet would light up with the relief that none of the rumours were true, Xbox looks like a great console, sells well as a result.

Now consider this:
  • Microsoft denies all the rumours
  • Internet gets hyped up about how good the NeXbox is going to be
  • Hype machine goes into overdrive following various 'leaks'
  • Microsoft announces console
Internet is underwhelmed because it already knew all the good stuff, Xbox looks like a dud, sells less well.

It's also entirely possible that Microsoft are observing the reactions to these rumours quite closely, and using that reaction to determine if they should include such "features", or if they should ditch them.

#26 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 07 April 2013 - 21:41

Out of interest, what kind of things has Paul get wrong?
I always thought he was quite reliable, but I'm probably very wrong! :)

I used to think that too, most recent thing I can remember was him telling everyone that Windows Phone 8 was going to be called Windows 8 Phone, he made a point of the naming change in one of his Windows Weekly episodes on Twit.tv

He doesn't seem to have much more of a connection to MS that we do, he just makes a big public point of the things he knows, many of which are just tips and rumours and leaks that we can all find easily enough ourselves

#27 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 07 April 2013 - 22:21

Assuming the rumours are true though, $300 is A LOT of money for a subscription device

I actually think Paul has his numbers backwards. $99 seems more like the subscription device. And $500 would be a box Microsoft doesn't really want to sell but wants to provide a DRM free option just to cover that base.

I may not even go next gen console and stay with PC. The only for sure buy, is if there's an adapter to use the Xbox wireless controller with PS4. That I'll probably buy. Haven't heard anything about Bluetooth for Next Xbox, I think they won't do it just to make it tougher to use the controller on Playstation. They know in the US the controller is a big deal.

#28 NightmarE D

NightmarE D

Proud father

Posted 07 April 2013 - 22:34

Out of interest, what kind of things has Paul get wrong?
I always thought he was quite reliable, but I'm probably very wrong! :)

Google around and find his pathetic "boycott IE 7" rant from when it was first being worked on. He threw huge hissy-fits because he didn't have any story on it. Eventually the IE Team got soo sick of it that he was contacted by them and got an exclusive out of it and he's been doing it since.

He whines and whines, sometimes spouts complete lies, until someone gets tried of it ands contacts him with info. Pure laziness. How he gets any respect in the tech world is beyond my comprehension.

Not to mention he's very full of himself. He once used (or still does? Not sure) small images of his face as his rating system on his site. Come on. Really? It wasn't done jokingly. He just loves seeing his face everywhere.

Prove him wrong on something he has said. Watch how fast he flips out or ignores you.

#29 bgjerlow

bgjerlow

Neowinian

• Phone: Samsung ATIV S

Posted 07 April 2013 - 23:07

Not really surprised by this. If the next Xbox is anything like the 360, it will be well worth the money.

#30 chrisj1968

chrisj1968

copyrighted!! ©

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 07 April 2013 - 23:12

I think... If MS wanted to innovate in the realm of the console,do what they were doing with Windows8. why not integrate xbox libraries and have the users utilize their HDMI ports and bluetooth to use controllers? save on tons of R&D, integrate and ensure xbox proliferation with every OS system purchase.

there are only two teams for graphics, Nvidia and AMD/ATI...

then you'd have windows tablt, windows OS and xbox under one roof. have a dedicated app in the realm of say media center or attach it to the media center feature or an alone standing product within the windows OS?