Similarities between Windows Vista and Windows 8

[*]Both of the operating systems included an anti-malware solution: Windows Defender and Microsoft Security Essentials.

• MSSE is not part of Windows. Both Vista and 8 have Windows Defender, just like XP and 7.

Umm, you are misinformed. MSSE is built into Windows 8 and is now called Windows Defender.

I never did see the major problem with Vista. To be fair, I didn't start using it until SP1, but post-SP1 I thought it was a great OS. Heavier than XP sure, but it was years newer, so what do you expect?

Still running Windows 7 so I can't really comment on Windows 8 cause I haven't used it enough.

• 1 month later...

Couldn't this be said of most new releases of the OS?

True, but I did mention that it isn't difficult finding similarities between the many versions of Windows. Rarity of occurance is one the main reasons I created this topic, which makes the two operating systems particularly unique.

I mean 'bundled new email and contact features' is something that's going to continue for as long as new OS's are made.

I don't recall if any version prior to Windows Vista included a new e-mail application or address book feature (i.e., one that replaces the other).

(e.g., Outlook Express -> Windows Mail).

(e.g., Address Book - > Windows Contacts).

As for including 'anti-malware features', 'revised Windows Explorer interface and new file management windows' and 'Fully integrated a child monitoring feature: Parental Controls and Family Safety.', this again is a constant that's not going to change, they're comparable to vista in the same way that my morning cup of tea is comparable to my lunchtime cup of tea.

But Vista was the first to include either of those features (parental controls, and an anti-malware feature). This doesn't seem significant now, but at the time I think it was a big deal.

The file collision and management windows remained the same from Windows 95 to Windows XP. Windows 8 changes them again.

Windows_95.png

Win95_FC.png

image.png

XPFT.png

Windows_Vista.png

Windows_Vista_FT.png

Windows_8_FT.png

W8_FS.png

There is a difference between a new visual style and a new interface.

As Aero was more than a new visual style, I think you'll find that comparison between it and the Windows 8 UI is appropriate.

"The changes made in the Aero interface affected many elements of the Windows interface and how it functions, including the incorporation of a new visual look, along with changes in interface guidelines reflecting appearance, layout, and the phrasing and tone of instructions and other text in applications."

Windows Vista's explorer didn't change that much compared to XP.

Among other things, Vista included a revamped toolbar, breadcrumbs in the address bar, scalable icons, new sorting/grouping/tagging/searching/stacking features.

MSSE is not part of Windows. Both Vista and 8 have Windows Defender, just like XP and 7.

I'm referring to integration of the software. Only Vista and 8 integrated an anti-malware program.

To my knowlege, Security Essentials is branded as Windows Defender in Windows 8.

Windows Sidebar, a "Live" feature?

I mentioned Windows Sidebar because it is what contains the Gadgets; similar to how the Start screen has the Live Tiles.

Just like every other operating system...

Only Vista and 8 bundled a separate calendar application, e-mail application, and a new address book feature.

Windows Marketplace was not integrate in Windows Vista like the Windows Store in 8.

I should have chosen my words more carefully; Marketplace and Store aren't very alike as far as integration goes. However, I do feel that they are similar conceptually, where one downloads, and/or buys applications for Windows.

I'm sorry, but on all Windows 8 systems I have (4), I didn't find any game until I downloaded them.

Every other example I mentioned did not receive this careful attention from you. However, this does not change the fact that the games were updated for Windows 8.

Those who were so quick to judge this as a troll topic have misunderstood my intention.

If they knew how I hold Vista in such high regard, then perhaps they wouldn't have been so quick to judge. To me, comparing certain aspects of Windows 8 to Windows Vista is a very great honor.