Photo

AMD FX or Intel i7?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#16 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 08 April 2013 - 16:26

<<<<<<<----- AMD A6-3410MX APU here, can play crysis 3 on Medium settings no problem (this on a laptop that has a 6750m) Note that I overclock them with no heat issues nor a complex mod. (it's still far more than portable)

#17 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 April 2013 - 16:26

i7. Dollar to dollar the FXs can compete with the i3s and i5s, but once you're in the i7 range, just go with the i7.

#18 YounGMessiah

YounGMessiah

"individual magnets"

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 08 April 2013 - 16:27

Isnt AMD done anyways with cpus after their next one coming out?

<<<<<<<----- AMD A6-3410MX APU here, can play crysis 3 on Medium settings no problem (this on a laptop that has a 6750m) Note that I overclock them with no heat issues nor a complex mod. (it's still far more than portable)

That has nothing to do with any FX series lol

#19 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 08 April 2013 - 16:28

Just pointing out that AMD is good, my processor however is a Phenom II Stars+ architecture though...

#20 alwaysonacoffebreak

alwaysonacoffebreak

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Sony Xperia ZL

Posted 08 April 2013 - 16:29

Nope. This is pure fud. Steamroller is still coming out in form of CPU's, or I should say it'll be more like PD2.0

#21 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 08 April 2013 - 16:31

i7 if you're looking for top line performance, AMD if you're concerned about your budget. If you're going to be doing gaming The i7 wins hands down

#22 YounGMessiah

YounGMessiah

"individual magnets"

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 08 April 2013 - 16:31

Nope. This is pure fud. Steamroller is still coming out in form of CPU's, or I should say it'll be more like PD2.0

Was making sure, the rumor was..sad..

#23 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 08 April 2013 - 16:32

Honestly, I'd just get one of the higher clocked i5 CPUs. An i7 doesn't really give many benefits except for hyperthreading. If you're doing a lot of virtual machines, then maybe the extra threads would give benefits. Otherwise just save the money and get a higher end i5.

#24 alwaysonacoffebreak

alwaysonacoffebreak

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Sony Xperia ZL

Posted 08 April 2013 - 16:34

Was making sure, the rumor was..sad..

Well..more and more AMD is focusing on APU's and giving more juice to those but they are not leaving CPU's behind. In my opinion rightfully so, Intel has yet to catch up with the first gen APU igp's so they should rather take advantage of that until they can.

#25 Jason Stillion

Jason Stillion

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 April 2013 - 16:47

i7. Dollar to dollar the FXs can compete with the i3s and i5s, but once you're in the i7 range, just go with the i7.

<- This

AMD competitively prices there cpu's so the similar price and perform better then the intel in the same price range.
However, you reach a point, AMD has no equivalent to match intel.

It really depends on how much your willing / limit to spending is.

#26 Tuishimi

Tuishimi

Michinator

Posted 08 April 2013 - 16:48

I liked my old X6 (which my son has now) build... next year is the year for a new build for me where I finally retire my 2600K (well, pass it down to my kids ... they get my hand-me-downs and I usually donate the bottom rung machine which in this case is my Q6600 build) and I am waiting to see what the next AMD rev. brings to the table... I am leaning toward the i7 Ivy or whatever comes from now until next Winter/Spring... but I do have a soft spot for AMD and if the performance of the next chip is reasonable all-around I might go for it.

I use my box for gaming (latest and greatest) and for work (coding, software builds are frequent, and running java web servers, stuff like that). The AMD CPUs are more than sufficient for gaming with a decent, discrete video card. My X6 was able to do large builds at a fairly rapid pace. Better than the servers at the office. The latest intel chips are powerful, maybe more than they need to be... I am sure someone out there could tax them but for general everyday use they can be overkill... that being said I love overkill from time to time. :D

#27 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

Posted 08 April 2013 - 16:50

Honestly, I'd just get one of the higher clocked i5 CPUs. An i7 doesn't really give many benefits except for hyperthreading. If you're doing a lot of virtual machines, then maybe the extra threads would give benefits. Otherwise just save the money and get a higher end i5.

I'm pretty sure the i7 also has more L3 cache. Can make a difference in gaming and high end rendering apps.

#28 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

Posted 08 April 2013 - 17:40

I'm pretty sure the i7 also has more L3 cache. Can make a difference in gaming and high end rendering apps.

I don't think it would make any difference at all in gaming. Rendering and virtualization take advantage of the extra threads and maybe the extra L3, but games won't. So if this is for a gaming rig, take the extra $100 and put it towards the GPU.

#29 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

Posted 08 April 2013 - 17:46

Huh? I was talking about the L3 cache, not hyperthreading :/ and on die cache does make a difference in games.

#30 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

Posted 08 April 2013 - 17:50

Huh? I was talking about the L3 cache, not hyperthreading :/ and on die cache does make a difference in games.

I mentioned the L3 cache... Have any gaming benchmarks to show that it makes a notable difference?
Keep in mind the CPUs need to be at the same clock in the benchmarks.