Westboro to picket Ebert funeral

Somewhat naive. There is still a lot of hostility towards homosexuality. Just because mainstream culture is becoming less hostile doesn't mean priests,, ministers, and pastors in churches across America aren't spewing vile bigotry.

Evangelical Christianity is especially bad.

Na?ve? May be but I have faith in the effects of time. You are correct that there are plenty of bigots around but these guys and their ideas are going to die off.

It is like the civil rights movement: it took a very long time to reach a certain level to rights equality.

Anyway, to try to lighten your and everyone's day here is a video a WBC picket that the Foo Fighters bombed

The WBC members look really ****ed when they are not the center of attention anymore.

• Like 1

Sometimes I think that freedom and expression of speech should not be afforded to ignorant organizations such as this :/ What's worse is that when these ignorant people die, everyone else will be decent enough to afford them the privacy of their own funerals because to sink as low as them isn't sending the correct message.

Agreed. I don't consider people like the Westboro Baptist's human... I don't know how someone claiming to be human can treat others the way they treat people.

Na?ve? May be but I have faith in the effects of time. You are correct that there are plenty of bigots around but these guys and their ideas are going to die off.

You say "their ideas" as if they are the only ones who have such strong views. They are not. I think the attention paid to the likes of the WBC dilutes outrage we should direct at more mainstream bigotry.

If you compare the WBC anti-gay sentiments to the more constrained evangelical Christian bigotry it makes the evangelicals look less menacing. Until you realise they have a far greater influence than the WBC ever could. It's a misdirection.

Don't generalize. You do realize that not all evangelicals are anti-gay, right? The largest Lutheran denomination is evangelical and allows LGBT clergy, marriages (where legal) etc.