Photo

Keep folder on PC and folder on laptop in sync?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 08 April 2013 - 13:04

Dropbox method here
http://www.ftlgame.c....php?f=7&t=2172

#17 arachnoid

arachnoid

Call the Opticians

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 08 April 2013 - 13:06

Tell her to get on with the house keeping and leave the game alone [ducks] :laugh: :rofl: :laugh:

#18 Grayski

Grayski

Neowinian

Posted 08 April 2013 - 13:15

AeroFS could also be an option - aerofs.com

Technically, AeroFS creates fully decentralized filesystems: All the computers you install AeroFS on contribute to your private filesystem.
Communication happens directly among devices regardless of whether you're on a corporate LAN, on the Internet, or in any other network.
AeroFS can still sync, even when our servers are down.
Try it yourself: Unplug your home network from the internet and watch as AeroFS still happily syncs files across your home computers in this isolated network.

I've really enjoyed using the software and it is now officially live and out of Private Beta since 2nd Aril 2013.

#19 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 74
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 08 April 2013 - 13:30

There are always multiple ways to skin the cat, sure you could always just copy the files over - use a batch file as suggested. Get some software like sync toy, use rsync, Save the files on a thumb drive and sneaker net them over.

But here's the thing hands down your not going to get simpler than using one of the cloud sync services out there, be it drop, be it google, be it box, be it sugarsync, live drive, etc. etc..

Now I have accounts with most of these, and I like drop the best - it works, its simple! And I have like 70GB of free space with them ;) And I know for sure it has lan sync and works for stuff like this for sure.

Maybe your wife is a power user, I have to assume not or there would be no need for your question in the first place because she would know how to access her saved files across your network, etc. Since that is not the case - clicking a batch file to copy the files over might be stretching her skill set??

Setup dropbox, and forget about it - it will auto keep the files in sync as they change with nobody having to do anything! She can play here game on her lap top, close the game and in a few minutes go over and play it on your PC where she left off. And then back to her laptop and resume how it was last saved on your PC, etc.. Its a NO BRAINER!!

#20 spikey_richie

spikey_richie

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 08 April 2013 - 13:36

clicking a batch file to copy the files over might be stretching her skill set??

If she can click the icon to start Sims, then she can launch a batch file I'd have thought.

Agreed though that DropBox is a no-brainer here.

#21 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 74
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 08 April 2013 - 15:28

You would think ;) But what if issue with access, what if box is not turned on when she does? What if she is on wireless network across the street, or playing from starbucks, etc. What wireless network is locked down at his place and does not allow access to his wired machines (guest network), what if his machine is off when she pushes the batch file icon, etc.. etc. etc..

With dropbox solution - does not matter what network she is on, if local then will sync local. But she could also be playing while have a latte at coffee house, and when she gets home she can just access the PC and it should already be in sync, etc.

#22 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 08 April 2013 - 15:31

Symbolically link to the network location >.>

In all seriousness, Dropbox/Skydrive. Always the answer for this kind of stuff. If you have to ask the question, the other answers are beyond you (probably).

#23 vhane

vhane

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:28

Looks like Dropbox is the simplest solution.

However, make sure that she quits the game and waits for the files to sync before firing it up on the other computer. Otherwise you might get conflicts if both instances of the game try to write to the same set of files at the same time. Dropbox will keep conflicted versions of the the same file around, but it's still a PITA to manually resolve conflicts and figure out which file(s) you want to keep.

#24 ingramator

ingramator

Hacker

• Phone: Lumia 920, iPhone 5, GS3

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:57

If you wanted to avoid all the proprietary crap you could go ahead and network share then symbolically link them! The days... Otherwise I recommend Drop Box for LAN and Skydrive if you were wanting to use it to host other files.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!