Why Game Developers Are Flocking to Sony and Fleeing From Microsoft

In an age where most big games ship on multiple platforms, it was a Sony exclusive that took home the grand prize at last week?s Game Developers Choice awards, not to mention the DICE Awards a month prior.

God of War? Uncharted? Nope: an 18-person game called Journey, the sort of artsy passion project that a few years ago would have been doomed to cult-classic obscurity. And don?t think Sony hasn?t noticed. Indie games aren?t just an amusing side business anymore ? in some cases, they?re getting more attention and sales than the ?mainstream? triple-A productions.

There?s a war brewing for the hearts and minds of the videogame industry?s independent developers. The weird thing is, Xbox doesn?t seem interested in fighting it.

Indies were once a fringe group of rogue developers who were often happy to get any sort of attention from a console manufacturer like Sony or Microsoft, but today they?re an industry force that will help shape the next generation of games and gaming machines.

A recent survey showed that 53 percent of developers self-identify as independent, and Sony is angling to get as many of them on PlayStation devices as possible. And to hear the developers tell it, the reason they?re flocking to PlayStation is due as much to what Sony does right as to what Xbox maker Microsoft is doing wrong.

?Microsoft treats independent developers very badly,? said Jonathon Blow, creator of the breakout indie success Braid. Blow appeared at Sony?s recent PlayStation 4 announcement event to show his new game The Witness. He said in an email that Microsoft?s stance on relations with independent developers is to ?put you through as much pain as you will endure in order to extract whatever [they] feel like this week.?

When Wired forwarded some of the scalding statements from indies about their experiences working with Microsoft, a spokesperson sent back a brief emailed response: ?We?re invested in helping developers realize their visions on Xbox by ensuring they have the tools they need to be successful and by using their feedback to continually make refinements on our platforms,? it read in part.

Ironically, it was Microsoft that originally set the stage for smaller, independent productions to appear on its Xbox 360 by establishing the Xbox Live Arcade service and relentlessly promoting these inexpensive digital releases. If you had an indie game, releasing it on Live Arcade was like premiering your play on Broadway. But that?s all begun to change, and Microsoft may be letting a key competitive advantage slip away as Sony?s reputation as an indie-friendly company continues to grow.

Brian Provinciano, creator of the old-school parody game Retro City Rampage, tells horror stories about his experience with Microsoft. He says the Xbox maker canceled the release of his game on Live Arcade after he spoke out publicly about the inefficiencies of the process. Microsoft, he says, forced him to resubmit the game through the arduous approvals process and go through an extra six months of negotiations that required him to submit the game through an outside publisher to get it released.

And when the game did come out, he says Microsoft made an expensive mistake: ?Someone made a mistake and released it on XBLA for $10 instead of $15, so most of the copies sold earned one-third less off the top,? he said in an email.

While Provinciano was busy dealing with stress and red tape at Microsoft, he was getting the star treatment from Sony.

?Sony?s been incredibly supportive and promoted the game very well,? said Provinciano. ?It?s received a generous amount of promotion at no cost to me, from [advertisements] on the PS Store to events such as E3 and even having it playable on kiosks at every Walmart, Best Buy, GameStop, Target and Future Shop across North America.?

?Never in my wildest dreams would I have expected this to happen,? he said.

Sony appears to be seizing on Microsoft?s bad reputation among indie developers as an opportunity to lure new games onto its platforms and establish the PlayStation Network as the new place to be for unique independent games. It?s becoming the anti-Microsoft, something it seemed to be stressing in its PlayStation 4 announcement. Provinciano said that working with Sony felt like a ?coffee shop chat? as opposed to the ?intimidating corporate vibe? of Xbox.

At the Game Developers Conference, Sony hosted an event called PlayStation Indie Arcade, showing off indie games like Hotline Miami and Thomas Was Alone. It also hosted a presentation called ?The State of Indie Development on PlayStation Network,? and announced that it will be supporting the Unity engine on PlayStation 4. Unity is a brand of game development software that has gained widespread appeal for its ease of use and low cost, both of which make it very popular with indies on a shoestring budget.

Indie games might also prove to be a get-out-of-jail-free card for Sony?s beleaguered handheld platform PlayStation Vita. Like the PSP before it, Sony positioned the high-powered Vita as a device that would put the big-budget console experience in the palm of your hand. But sluggish sales and close to zero buy-in from software makers painted a bleak picture. But where big publishers see a wasteland, indies see opportunity.

?I was surprised to see more players on PS Vita than PS3, and that has been pretty consistent since we launched,? said James Whitehead of indie developer Boss Baddie, which just released the Geometry Wars-styled, twin-stick shooter Big Sky Infinity for Sony machines in December. This is surprising because there are roughly 10 times as many PlayStation 3s as Vitas in consumers? hands. But whereas PlayStation 3 owners are spoiled for choice, Vita players still need content, and indies are happy to fill the void. ?It has been great for us; there are a couple of hundred thousand people playing it,? he said.

Indies are saying that the development processes for PlayStation 3 and PS Vita are highly similar, which allows them to implement attractive features like ?cross-play, cross-buy,? which means players can often purchase a game once and play it on both systems.

?They built such a good development kit that [Retro City Rampage] was up and running [on Vita] within a day or so,? said Brian Provinciano. ?I?ve worked on just about every console and handheld of the past decade. The PS Vita boasts the best development kit of them all.? Before Sony launched Vita, it loaned out development kits for free to indies. Console game development hardware can often cost thousands of dollars, putting it out of reach of many game creators.

?We do our best to empower developers across all of our platforms, to release their games when and how they want, and we?ve been working hard to take as many obstacles out of the path to release as possible,? says Nick Suttner, a Sony account supervisor who works with indie developers. ?We allow developers to self-publish on our platforms; no slotting, no voting, or any of that rigmarole.?

The ?slotting? that Suttner refers to is one of the most notorious roadblocks to getting one?s game on Xbox Live Arcade. Microsoft will only release a certain number of games per week on Xbox Live Arcade, and many of these slots are given over to large publishers. No empty slot means you can?t release your game. That?s why Brian Provinciano had to go find a publisher with an open slot to get Retro City Rampage out on Xbox. Microsoft does have an ?Indie Games? channel, but its lack of promotion of the service means that players utterly ignore it.

Sony?s self-publishing system isn?t quite as open as, say, the iOS App Store. It?s not just an open marketplace where any random person can upload anything they want. Sony?s still going out and developing relationships with each individual game creator, but it?s trying to make that process as easy and painless as possible. It even has a program called ?Pub Fund? that acts as a sort of angel investment for promising indie games that need development cash but don?t want to sell out.

The power dynamic has shifted over the last generation: Sony?s process was originally predicated on the idea that developers desperately wanted to appear on PlayStation, and Sony could make elaborate demands of them with the ostensible goal of raising the quality bar of the PlayStation?s content library. But today, it?s Sony that needs indies; it must create a path of least resistance for them because they have other options if PlayStation proves too daunting.

Even Nintendo, who has historically been the most difficult company for indies to work with, is warming up. Provinciano said that the Wii U maker has recently thrown out its old rule that required independent developers to have an office space if they wanted to work with Nintendo. As garage developers that work out of their living rooms proliferate, the rule (designed to keep Nintendo?s trade secrets more secure) has become more of a barrier than a protection.

?Both Sony and Nintendo actively listen to feedback from developers and make improvements,? he said.

Wii U, launched last year, is in just as dire a situation as Vita. Publishers released a few games at launch but aren?t announcing many new Wii U products. So Nintendo is courting indies, giving them the sort of freedom over pricing, release dates and content approval that Sony is. What it doesn?t have yet are any successes to call its own, no Journeys on the horizon that might snag any Game of the Year honors.

But Sony?s and Nintendo?s respective wake-up calls haven?t seemed to change things with Xbox 360. With Microsoft?s console about to turn eight years old in November, everyone is expecting the announcement of a successor console very soon. If it doesn?t change its old ways with regard to how it approaches indie developers, the next Xbox might miss out on the games that will define the next generation.

Source: http://www.wired.com...04/sony-indies/

SO wheres the proof? all I see is 1 or 2 disgruntled developers who don't like the big bad Microsoft because they weren't treated like rockstars for their irrelevant product. That's far from "Developers Flocking". And xbox is a brand that makes Microsoft billions. Of course there is going to be a process before you can put your stuff on there. AND last I checked, Microsoft xbox 360 destroys the competition in software sales. Which developer wants to put his product on something that doesn't have the level of sales as xbox360?

• Like 3

SO wheres the proof? all I see is 1 or 2 disgruntled developers who don't like the big bad Microsoft because they weren't treated like rockstars for their irrelevant product. That's far from "Developers Flocking"

What is your contribution to society is probably a humourous meme here....

You don't **** where you eat is more relevant.

Brian Provinciano, creator of the old-school parody game Retro City Rampage, tells horror stories about his experience with Microsoft. He says the Xbox maker canceled the release of his game on Live Arcade after he spoke out publicly about the inefficiencies of the process. Microsoft, he says, forced him to resubmit the game through the arduous approvals process and go through an extra six months of negotiations that required him to submit the game through an outside publisher to get it released.

And when the game did come out, he says Microsoft made an expensive mistake: ?Someone made a mistake and released it on XBLA for $10 instead of $15, so most of the copies sold earned one-third less off the top,? he said in an email.

That is not asking to be treated special, it's simply treating someone very poorly.

Hey Audio, when are you going to post a story that is not "anti-MS" or "pro-Sony"? I've been waiting for years. You are like an internet crawler that is hunting for stories that put MS in bad light even if slightly. It figures why would you post the "always on" story from Paul Thurrot but conveniently omit his remarks against Sony because it put Sony in bad light.

What is your contribution to society is probably a humourous meme here....

You don't **** where you eat is more relevant.

don't get it twisted. irrelevant is used compared to big titles in the gaming market. they do want to be treated special. Microsoft is giving them the privilege to get their little unknown game exposure to their xbox gaming base. that in itself should be an honor,and they should count their blessings. Sony now wants to invest in the indie market, and of course gathers a few of these developers, offers them the world to get press,and these guys all of a sudden start singing. Again,the title is a complete lie, developers are not flocking. Id like to see you defend that because it just isn't true.

I think indie development of "smaller" games is going to be the next big boon for the video game industry. So many interesting, innovative games came out this generation and it wasn't even a focus for the platforms. I can only seeing it be more influential once the consoles put them in the forefront. It could be a serious mistake on Microsoft's part if it doesn't follow suit..

How exactly will the Indie Games define the next generation of consoles? Most Indie Games are absolutely horrible anyway.

Hey Audio, when are you going to post a story that is not "anti-MS" or "pro-Sony"? I've been waiting for years. You are like an internet crawler that is hunting for stories that put MS in bad light even if slightly. It figures why would you post the "always on" story from Paul Thurrot but conveniently omit his remarks against Sony because it put Sony in bad light.

seriously, who cares? Why does a fan have to explain himself to not be dogpiled on?

seriously, who cares? Why does a fan have to explain himself to not be dogpiled on?

I have no problems with his Sony love or him posting articles. I get tired of his nonstop ant-MS articles though. I can't remember a single article he has posted in Xbox forums that wasn't somehow negative.

IF Microsoft does what I think they are going to do with the xbox they will still sell tons of them. IF the xbox has the hdmi IN and the blueray player then I will buy one to replace my aging google tv bluray player. Its also been rumoured that they will release a lower priced non gaming version of the next xbox asa media/bluray consumption device. Microsoft has the potential to sell a ton of xbox 720's . Even if they lose developers.

How exactly will the Indie Games define the next generation of consoles? Most Indie Games are absolutely horrible anyway.

Not all indie games are good. The same can be said for AAA games too. There will always be variable quality. I was more referring to games like Braid, Jounery, Minecraft, FTL, Shovel Knight, etc. Indie games like that will be or already are transforming the industry landscape. They are arguably more creative than the mainstream publisher games, and games like these will become more influential once the platform providers promote them as first-class games instead of an afterthought.

Not all indie games are good. The same can be said for AAA games too. There will always be variable quality. I was more referring to games like Braid, Jounery, Minecraft, FTL, Shovel Knight, etc. Indie games like that will be or already are transforming the industry landscape. They are arguably more creative than the mainstream publisher games, and games like these will become more influential once the platform providers promote them as first-class games instead of an afterthought.

Those are great games but I doubt anybody would buy a console to play games like those in the near future.

Meh, wouldn't be surprised.. The PS3 was pretty big but not as big as the PS2 when compared to xbox1vs ps2.. Hopefully they will have a real winner on their hands.. It seems MS likes to Nickel and Dime you for you everything.. Not sure of Sony is like that now or not.. Just know they are free to play online.. I have actually bought every console since SNES.. I doubt that will own either PS4 or the next Xbox on launch.. might not pick either one of them up.. my consoles just collect dust haven't played them in about two years or how long the last GTA was released.. I play my 3DS thought.. a lot of good games on that.. I like just how you can pick it up and start playing.. Playing a console these days is unreal.. update, patch, download, blah firmware update.. gayness.. i like steam.. just sits there.. when an update happens.. it downloads it.. but like the Wii-U because my wife and I can play it..

I have no problems with his Sony love or him posting articles. I get tired of his nonstop ant-MS articles though. I can't remember a single article he has posted in Xbox forums that wasn't somehow negative.

Unfortunately AB is reverting to his old self from the last console launch and beyond. I had hoped the gamers hangout had evolved beyond that but...

• Like 2

Microsoft has been marketing the crap out of its indie developers.. Braid and Minecraft both have done phenomenally on the Xbox 360.. are any of those actually available on PS?

Devs are going to go where the money is. Why do you think EA/Activsion/etc release ported titles on as many systems as possible?

A smart dev isn't going to ignore millions of potential sales because one console is "better".

Developers flocking from one console to another wouldn't be good business. Unless, the console has issues that would keep people from buying it (always connected to the internet, but isn't the PS4 the same way?") Exclusive titles are great and all, but I think the devs rather have their games just being played instead of a console war being paid millions to keep it on one console.. I don't think most devs are about the money..

Microsoft has shown a complete lack of vision with indie games on Xbox 360. It's too bad because they had pretty much the dream framework (XNA), but outside of that management was terrible; it was a royal pain for developers to get any visibility for their games, and for users to find the newest and greatest indie titles. On the outside it looks like someone had an idea, a few ran along with it and everyone else tried to kill it as much as possible. There's a lack of cohesion and leadership at Microsoft and it shows.

Microsoft has shown a complete lack of vision with indie games on Xbox 360. It's too bad because they had pretty much the dream framework (XNA), but outside of that management was terrible; it was a royal pain for developers to get any visibility for their games, and for users to find the newest and greatest indie titles. On the outside it looks like someone had an idea, a few ran along with it and everyone else tried to kill it as much as possible. There's a lack of cohesion and leadership at Microsoft and it shows.

I will blame that on the leadership that took over after Peter Moore and Jay Allard left. I think that Don Mattick? and (one more guy I can't recall name of) are pure corporate business people with no love (and vision) for gaming beyond $$$.

I am inclined to agree with this..

A couple of pro-Sony stories aren't going to throw the balance of a website almost entirely MS-friendly/dedicated out of whack. You don't like the stories he posts? Here is a completely crazy notion: post some of your own.

From where I sit, Sony actually does seem to take a much more active role and sincere interest in indie/experimental titles. When an indie game comes to the 360, I wait until their eventual release on steam. (Mark of The Ninja, Fez, and I wish I waited for Trials Evolutions to come to Steam). I know I am not the only one who is doing this.

A couple of pro-Sony stories aren't going to throw the balance of a website almost entirely MS-friendly/dedicated out of whack. You don't like the stories he posts? Here is a completely crazy notion: post some of your own.

From where I sit, Sony actually does seem to take a much more active role and sincere interest in indie/experimental titles. When an indie game comes to the 360, I wait until their eventual release on steam. (Mark of The Ninja, Fez, and I wish I waited for Trials Evolutions to come to Steam). I know I am not the only one who is doing this.

A couple?

(again, I have no problems with his pro-Sony stories).