Integrated Graphics

Right now I am in the planning stage for my desktop build, which is kind of slow going since I am waiting for Haswell and the associated components to come out. However, I do have a question about the integrated graphics, I figure that it will only get better with Haswell so the answer for Ivy Bridge or even Sandy Bridge will be helpful

I am not a gamer, minus the occasional game of Microsoft Mahjong, but I do watch movies, be it Blu-Ray's or high quality MKV's. I believe that is the most graphics intensive application of the computer. That said, will I be able to get away with just using the integrated graphics of the CPU or should i get a low end graphics card, which I prefer not to have to do. If I must get one, recommendations are welcome.

Thanks in advance

However, I do have a question about the integrated graphics, I figure that it will only get better with Haswell so the answer for Ivy Bridge or even Sandy Bridge will be helpful

...Huh?

You'd be fine with the Haswell iGPU I would have thought. As long as you're getting an i5 you'll be fine.

Yes, any of the major integrated graphics chips will work fine for your relatively low demands. Heck, I played through Dishonored on my HD4000 (at crappy settings, but it was all I had at the time). They've come a long ways in the last few years.

Or you get yourself an AMD A10-5800K, they are avaiable for roughly 100 ? / 130 $.

While it doesn't have that much CPU horsepower as an i5 or i7, the GPU is nearly as twice as fast and you will pay much less.

Hi, I have a dilemma that is similar enough for this thread, so don't mind if I add a question of my own :D

I'm in the market for a budget laptop, and i am wondering if an i3 3110m (HD 4000) or an AMD A8-4500m (HD 7640G) would be the better buy? The prices are nearly identical, and the laptop resolution is only 1366x768. I only play Starcraft 2 and DotA 2, and would run generic productivity software and web browsing :) with the occasional HD movie

Hi, I have a dilemma that is similar enough for this thread, so don't mind if I add a question of my own :D

I'm in the market for a budget laptop, and i am wondering if an i3 3110m (HD 4000) or an AMD A8-4500m (HD 7640G) would be the better buy? The prices are nearly identical, and the laptop resolution is only 1366x768. I only play Starcraft 2 and DotA 2, and would run generic productivity software and web browsing :) with the occasional HD movie

Really depends what you want to do the most. The i3 CPU is much faster, and the A8's iGPU is a bit better.

For the games you mentioned, the A8 will do the job and will do it well, I really doubt about the I3 though.

Edit: You can even play games like Max Payne 3 with that A8 (tested with a dual core A6 for this and it ran at 30 fps), in fact you can play a lot of games with it...

Or you get yourself an AMD A10-5800K, they are avaiable for roughly 100 ? / 130 $.

While it doesn't have that much CPU horsepower as an i5 or i7, the GPU is nearly as twice as fast and you will pay much less.

I agree with this statement. I just built a rig with an AMD A10-5800k, and the gaming performance is great. Also the A10 was around $100 cheaper than the Intel i5 I was going to get.

Tim