• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:20

Staged or not it was pretty much the experience my parents had on win8

they couldn't even figure out how to close an app and go back to the main screen, in previous versions at least they knew how to press the red X in the top right be back on the desktop and continue on their merry way...

That has been the experience of several people I know who have tried Windows 8.

#17 mrp04

mrp04

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:22

Neither of my parents had problems with Windows 8. My mother couldn't find the restart button instantly because it moved, but it only took her a minute to find it on her own. She's no computer expert, all she does is use Skype and Chrome.

#18 Hitman2000

Hitman2000

Neowinian

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:25

Neither of my parents had problems with Windows 8. My mother couldn't find the restart button instantly because it moved, but it only took her a minute to find it on her own. She's no computer expert, all she does is use Skype and Chrome.

my parents who are total pc noobs, were saying why the hell is it so complicated to do a task like shutting down... (and yes they love shutting down their from the old school way of thinking that something must be off when its not being used)

after about 3 days they asked me to make it look like their old windows, now running star8 they are happy again....

also they only positive reviews of windows 8 I see are from the bunch of same posters here on neowin
as im the unofficial pc fixer, I have upgraded atleast 10 or so PC's to windows 8 of my parents elderly friends and aunties/uncles etc

they all have unanimously hated win8 and asked to make it look like their old system....

that's why I have a hard time believeing any positive reviews of win 8

because from personal experience and the polarization seen on the internet, win 8 is CLEARLY not a popular option

makes it hard to take people like dot matrix seriously, when you have both personal experience, experience eof family and friends and a world wide web were it being criticized...

#19 OP +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:25

People who usually find the restart button fairly quickly on their first attempt just get lucky.

#20 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:31

People who usually find the restart button fairly quickly on their first attempt just get lucky.

I had no idea how to shut it down first time and I it took me a few minutes of poking around to find it.

#21 NightScreams

NightScreams

Neowinian

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:31

Staged or not it was pretty much the experience my parents had on win8

they couldn't even figure out how to close an app and go back to the main screen, in previous versions at least they knew how to press the red X in the top right be back on the desktop and continue on their merry way...

You don't have to close Metro apps, that's part of the point. You use the 4 corners as was shown in a very obvious manner when you first install or use a new computer. Metro apps are not meant to be closed as Windows manages that now, it's managed just like tablets. The concept is so simple, yet it's like everyone ignores the instructions on introduction or cannot pick up an "idiots guide to Windows 8" book at the local library....really?

Anyone using a new OS, be it Linux, Mac whatever, should probably pick up a guide book of some kind so they don't start poking, not knowing what their doing and screw things up...this is why previous windows versions had so many people bringing in computers with software issues and Windows 8 is a little less prone to accidental clicks that cause serious software related issues cause some are hidden better until you educate yourself to know about them. Metro is far more dummy proof in that regard.
Whats funnier if you google up old posts for Windows XP when it first came out...notice all the bashing, many hated XP at first.

Desktop apps still have the red X button btw.

#22 OP +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:32

I had no idea how to shut it down first time and I it took me a few minutes of poking around to find it.

I had to google it or ask here. I can't remember which.

#23 NightScreams

NightScreams

Neowinian

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:34

You don't have to close Metro apps, that's part of the point. You use the 4 corners as was shown in a very obvious manner when you first install or use a new computer. Metro apps are not meant to be closed as Windows manages that now, it's managed just like tablets. The concept is so simple, yet it's like everyone ignores the instructions on introduction or cannot pick up an "idiots guide to Windows 8" book at the local library....really?

Anyone using a new OS, be it Linux, Mac whatever, should probably pick up a guide book of some kind so they don't start poking, not knowing what their doing and screw things up...this is why previous windows versions had so many people bringing in computers with software issues and Windows 8 is a little less prone to accidental clicks that cause serious software related issues cause some are hidden better until you educate yourself to know about them. Metro is far more dummy proof in that regard.
Whats funnier if you google up old posts for Windows XP when it first came out...notice all the bashing, many hated XP at first.

Desktop apps still have the red X button btw.

Physical off switch..most PC's have them. Most every device is shut off with a physical button, why do PC's get different treatment just cause there is a onscreen one too?

#24 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:37

I had to google it or ask here. I can't remember which.

If us computer geeks can't easily figure it out there is no way your normal mom and dad will.

#25 Hitman2000

Hitman2000

Neowinian

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:38

?

Anyone using a new OS, be it Linux, Mac whatever, should probably pick up a guide book of some kind so they don't start poking, not knowing what their doing and screw things up...t

yeh ok that's how most people operate ...... NOT!!!!

my parent are old folk who only use internet to read the newspaper, occasional email and Skype..

they are not going to start reading books on how to use the OS....

the reason they didn't see the charms bar instruction is because they got me to install it, they have no concept of user accounts and such...
everything is autologin...

#26 Avi Patel

Avi Patel

Neowinian

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:39

If one person spends just a few minutes with the windows 8 hints at the beginning, it'd take a really huge idiot to not find his or her way around windows 8.

#27 Hitman2000

Hitman2000

Neowinian

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:41

as I said I find it hard to take windows 8 fans seriously.

from about 15 close family and friends who I personally upgraded to windows 8 all hated it... now all have start8
I hated it... using start 8

on the internet their is criticism of it

MS is already changing stuff with 8.1/blue

so that 4 froms of evidence pointing toward windows 8 being mediocre vs handful of neowin posters who say its the best thing since sliced bread

that's why its hard to believe the windows 8 zealots..

#28 zhangm

zhangm

Just bitter.

• Tech Issues Solved: 13

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:51

Thing is, we've had this whole song and dance when:

- The mouse was invented.
- MS-DOS transitioned to Windows.
- The Start Menu was introduced/cascading menus were introduced.
- The taskbar was introduced.
- Window widgets (the up/down arrows, then the min/max/close buttons).
- The search bar was placed in the Start menu.
- The Office ribbon interface was introduced.
- UAC was introduced.

Every new change has been the worst damn thing in the world, and that's how things have moved forward.

#29 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:20

bless her heart. mom is obviously playing along to please her mentally challenged son.

#30 cork1958

cork1958

Neowinian

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:46

If us computer geeks can't easily figure it out there is no way your normal mom and dad will.

Exactly the main thing wrong with Windows 8. That stupid way of it starting up is TOTALLY a cluster f**k and dumber than hell!!

Might be a good thing for a touch screen, but even then, still a cluster f**k!! :x

I didn't watch any of the videos as it even sounds like it's going to something staged, right from the get go.