Priceless Lamborghini Miura P400 SV burns

Some things in life make you sick to your stomach: despicable crimes, a swift kick to the groin, Brussels sprouts, and this video ? documenting the burning wreckage of an original Lamborghini Miura P400 SV, which burst into flames on a London street.

What happened to this gem remains a mystery, but watching the video, it appears to be toast (no-pun intended). The P400 SV variant of the Lamborghini Miura boosted the Miura's claim as the world's first supercar. With only 150 built, they're only for serious collectors; last year a regular Miura upgraded to a SV sold at RM Auctions in Pebble Beach, Calif., for $660,000.

The owner of the flame-broiled Miura is reported to be a wealthy London property investor who doesn't own a fire extinguisher; imagine watching your treasured machine burn to the ground knowing if you'd just spent 20 bucks at Tesco it might be salvageable. The fire department, according to the guy in the video, was stuck in traffic. That same guy offers his disgust at an alloy wheel being on fire. Personally, I'd be more concerned about the priceless machine the alloy connects to.

more

post-37120-0-70390100-1365460588.jpg

post-37120-0-31782400-1365460606.jpg

It's just a car.

Sigh...spoken from who views cars as a way to get from point A to B. This is not just any car like your Civic, Corolla, etc. This is a freaking Miura, it's legendary - rare, and was the fastest car in the world (back during its day)

Sigh...spoken from who views cars as a way to get from point A to B. This is not just any car like your Civic, Corolla, etc. This is a freaking Miura, it's legendary - rare, and was the fastest car in the world (back during its day)

Not to mention it was most likely something he spent a good deal of his life working hard for.

Should've taken better care of it then, no?

you can do almost everything to make sure nothing bad happens but no matter what nothing stops S*** from happening and S*** happens alot.

Not to mention it was most likely something he spent a good deal of his life working hard for.

you can do almost everything to make sure nothing bad happens but no matter what nothing stops S*** from happening and S*** happens alot.

And yet, no fire extinguisher.

The owner of the flame-broiled Miura is reported to be a wealthy London property investor who doesn't own a fire extinguisher; imagine watching your treasured machine burn to the ground knowing if you'd just spent 20 bucks at Tesco it might be salvageable.

What sort of arrogant comment is this? Who the heck carries a fire extinguisher in their vehicle, much less an exotic car with almost no storage space?

What sort of arrogant comment is this? Who the heck carries a fire extinguisher in their vehicle, much less an exotic car with almost no storage space?

Prepared people.

it isn't arrogant. But how many people actually think about all the possibilities? own a home? your home and it's contents could burn.

I think in the bigger better picture, we should be saying and asking;"glad he wasn't injured." the question remains, "was he insured?"

it isn't arrogant. But how many people actually think about all the possibilities? own a home? your home and it's contents could burn.

I think in the bigger better picture, we should be saying and asking;"glad he wasn't injured." the question remains, "was he insured?"

I know if I paid that much for a car, I would think outside the box on ways to protect it. A fire extinguisher isn't exactly a reach when considering the investment.

Seeing as a car that's on fire could explode at any time, it would be a very dumb idea to stick around and try to extinguish it. Even if you did get the fire put out, the vehicle is most likely totaled anyway.

I would think your life is worth much more than a car. Seeing as this guy is rich, I'm sure he can afford a replacement (or something similar).

Seeing as a car that's on fire could explode at any time, it would be a very dumb idea to stick around and try to extinguish it. Even if you did get the fire put out, the vehicle is most likely totaled anyway.

I would think your life is worth much more than a car. Seeing as this guy is rich, I'm sure he can afford a replacement (or something similar).

It depends on the situation. If the fire started in the cabin of the car, then (to me) it is a candidate for an attempt to save the car. If it started near the fuel tank or under the hood (opening it would funnel the flame into your face), then scrap it and run.

Cars explode a lot less often than you think. My last car accident caught my car on fire. I was in it for a good 5 minutes before I was able to get the door pried open. The fire department took about 20 minutes to get to it. It didn't explode.

The real risk is the car that is nearly out of fuel and catches fire.

I tried to feel sorrow for this, but then I thought about the real irrevocable extinction of thousands of biological species that took millions of years to develop, that's happening every day right now and on which our own lives largely depend, and then I had a lot more trouble caring about a man-made inanimate object.

I bet the other 199 owners are now getting their cars serviced at their nearest Lambo dealer! :p

150 built... some are probably destroyed by now... I'm guessing your 199 comes from joint ownerships? :/