• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#61 Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

• 6,568 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:00

I agree. And no matter how well prepared you are nothing can stop an accident from happening.

That wasn't an accident. That was negligence.

#62 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

• 6,071 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:33

Why do i need to read something that simply takes jabs that 30% don't know who dropped the A-Bomb or who doesnt know what the holocaust was or even better - two retarded fox news analyst that are so far up the republicans asses its not funny?

So i ask you again - why does THIS particular incident have any impact on you? - it's a pretty cut and dry event - idiot brings loaded guns out around kid, kid grabs gun that had no safety mechanisms on it, boom - kid dead because of an idiot parent who failed to take the proper actions to secure his guns in a fashion that wouldn't kill some kid. Or do you like other use situations like this to point fingers at the US and say we're too dumb and unsafe to use guns correctly, when there are millions of gun owners out there who own guns for all sorts of various reasons who don't make idiot decisions like this guy did.

In places with sensible attitudes to gun control accidents like this are pretty much a non event. The problem with universal rights is that they have to be given to smart people and stupid people, and the law of averages dictates that most societies contain more dumb people than smart people, and when you combine that with a social order in which everybody can demand their rights but nobody talks about their responsibilities you get tragic accidents repeating. Granted, you can't control everything dangerous, but for the vast majority of people guns don't even approach being a necessity (and before you pull the personal safety argument I will point out again that on average societies without guns are no more unsafe than those with) so you're just asking for trouble. And as asking Americans to treat guns sensibly seems about as fruitful as asking Israel and Palestine to love each other, it's just going to keep happening.

When people wake up and start learning the lessons of their mistakes, then I may find it easier to have some sympathy for them

#63 SupportGeek

SupportGeek

Neowinian

• 483 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 15:58

classy. aren't you a kid in the teenage sense?

Im not surprised in the least you wouldn't understand the idea.
You made a claim that if the gun didn't exist then the kid have had no opportunity, and this is true.
Thinking about this further though firearms are not going away, the SCOTUS has in fact affirmed the right as an individual right to keep and bear, as well as set precedent that firearms "in common use" (such as handguns) are protected by the second amendment, thus banning them will be incredibly difficult at best.
Ergo, as effective (or moreso) to ban the child from the firearm, the owner was negligent in having loaded firearms in an accessible location, very negligent, then to compound that, he allowed a child (with no basic firearms safety knowledge) into that same location as those loaded firearms.
So lets use a simple version of your idea (keep the firearm away from the child) combined with the second idea of keeping the child from the firearm.
Ban kids.

yeah but it may help lower the chances of accidents happening if you don't leave killing devices laying around.

I assume you specifically mean fatal firearms accidents, I agree, don't leave your firearms loaded and unsecured, especially don't let children into that area where firearms may be present

#64 Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

• 6,568 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 10 April 2013 - 16:03

I am not against a better background check system, I am however against guns being banned because, like the CNN reporter said, it's more than just the guns. We have to look beyond the gun to find the problem.

If you ban guns, they will use knives. If you ban knives, they will use kitchen knives. If you ban kitchen knives, they will use explosives. If you ban explosives, they will use home-made explosives and the vicious cycle will go on and on. Anyone with a computer and internet can find a recipe to make a bomb using common household chemicals in a matter of minutes so I guess they will have to ban house cleaners too.

#65 shakey

shakey

It's soooooo Educational

• 11,021 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 16:48

I am not against a better background check system, I am however against guns being banned because, like the CNN reporter said, it's more than just the guns. We have to look beyond the gun to find the problem.

If you ban guns, they will use knives. If you ban knives, they will use kitchen knives. If you ban kitchen knives, they will use explosives. If you ban explosives, they will use home-made explosives and the vicious cycle will go on and on. Anyone with a computer and internet can find a recipe to make a bomb using common household chemicals in a matter of minutes so I guess they will have to ban house cleaners too.

Can this be proven, that if someone had to use something other than a gun, that it would result in the same or more deaths? Sure, crime will happen, but is the level/severity of destruction the same when a knife or a gun is used? If it was, I think I'd see more knives used in war and less guns....... Guns are very effective at taking mass lives with very little effort and energy. Knives, while they could take the same amount of lives, require a ton more effort and mobility to use.
Fact is, knives , while deadly, are less lethal than a gun. This is proven. http://scienceblogs....5/knives-00000/
Explosives is a hard thing to stop anyone from using, but normally, people don't mess with them for many reasons. One being that making them can be just as deadly as using them.
Just because bad things will continue to happen, isn't a reason to keep other bad things happening. We already have restrictions on knife sizes. We also have restrictions on explosives. Guns have very little restrictions compared to the other 2.
http://pweb.netcom.c...ine/sta-law.htm - Knife Law Restrictions
Explosives are so regulated, at least the "premade" ones, that even some fireworks are illegal.
Home made deadly anything is a problem. But we can't just live in fear and say, "Just because they could possibly make something at home, we all need to have these things available."