WhatsApp denies rumors of a Google buyout

when i heard whatsapp rumors I instantly knew it was not true. but some stupid and idiots believed this rumor.

honestly there is no reason for google to buy this for 1bn

whatsapp_logo.png

Popular messaging app WhatsApp says it is not in discussion to sell the company to Google. Neeraj Arora, WhatsApp?sbusiness development head, toldAllThingsDigital today that the company is not holding sales talks with Google.

Earlier this week, a single-source report from Digital Trends said that the company was contemplating a $1 billion sale to the search giant.

Arora declined to comment further.

WhatsApp CEO Jan Koum speaks at our D:Dive Into Mobile conference in New York next week (this is one of the sessions that?s being live-streamed; more details on that soon).

WhatsApp has been the subject of similar rumors before, but with Facebook as the rumored buyer in December. At the time, the company said the reports were ?not factually accurate.?

WhatsApp is one of the most popular mobile apps in the world, with a very simple formula of cross-platform messaging (mostly text, but also photo, video, audio and location sharing). The app costs $0.99 on iOS and, in some countries, the service costs $0.99 per year on Android.

http://allthingsd.co...ling-to-google/

I didn't rule out the possibility of a buyout but I thought the value was a little high. Something like $500 million would have been more believable.

I had a feeling this wasn't true too. $1 billion for a freaking app company. And I've never even heard or used their apps before.

Just because you didn't hear about it doesn't mean it isn't popular. As far as I'm aware, it's the most popular cross-platform instant messaging app. Take a look at how popular the iOS version is: http://www.apple.com/euro/itunes/charts/apps/top10appstorepaid.html

It isn't in the US top 10 list. Kik Messenger seems to be more popular.