• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#16 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,341 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 09 April 2013 - 16:43

I can be just as distracted remembering to turn my turn signals on, or turning headlights on or off.... or operating windshield wipers... should I pull over, stop my car, park it, turn it off then put my turn signal on? then start going again?

This is almost as stupid as how Pennsylvania wanted to write their distracted driving law that said anything that causes motion of the hands to be a distraction in a car..... well guess I cant steer then..... (this law obviously got no where)

If you get distracted from signaling, which should be part of your reflexes, then I think you should perhaps consider not driving as you may not have the necessary multitasking skill to do other backgrounds tasks necessary to drive safely.

#17 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,005 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 09 April 2013 - 16:44

So would he be in this much trouble if it were a paper map? That should have been his argument. Those are much more time-consuming and distracting to read since there isn't a big arrow telling you where you are and orienting itself properly and etc.

The type of map is irrelevant, as taking your hands off the wheel increases the risk to the driver and other road users. As for the fact he was stopped, that's irrelevant because he was on the road - he wasn't parked. That said, it seems a bit over-the-top to be going after motorists that are stopped and haven't exhibited signs of dangerous driving.

#18 HSoft

HSoft

Neowinian Senior

• 3,926 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 16:50

Laws are laws. Sadly most police in Cali are revenue raisers instead of crime fighters.

True. It also doesn't really help that Cali has the most overturned court system in America.

#19 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,672 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 17:00

perhaps google glass, with mApApps & voice command would be ok ?

California is already working on laws to outlaw google glass when driving....

If you get distracted from signaling, which should be part of your reflexes, then I think you should perhaps consider not driving as you may not have the necessary multitasking skill to do other backgrounds tasks necessary to drive safely.

My point is they have tried to write laws that would make that stuff illegal by literally definition

#20 Charisma

Charisma

e-1337-ist

• 4,533 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 17:03

From the article
*snip*

Derp you're right, somehow missed that when reading. >.< I must stop commenting before the caffeine has kicked in. Thanks for that.

This still seems a bit drastic... but perhaps it's just me.

#21 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 61,991 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 17:08

I wonder how many people are reading those printed out driving directions from Yahoo maps or Map Quest, while trying to steer the car ....

#22 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• 6,151 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 09 April 2013 - 21:18

Could check the phone to see time you last texted. Get info phone company etc. There are a few ways to check.

You would have to be placed under arrest and a search warrant obtained for that to occur...

#23 thomastmc

thomastmc

Unofficial Attorney of Neowin

• 1,329 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 928

Posted 09 April 2013 - 21:21

Was his name Clark Griswold?

#24 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

• 7,346 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 21:39

Even the so-called 'hands-free' calls are a distraction, especially in busy traffic. If you need to make a phone call, get off the road temporarily. Not for your safety, but others too.
I like to get back home in one peace, and not being hit by a car because the driver is commenting on a funny Tweet.

If you want to go that far, so is having a conversation with someone in the car. So is singing to your favorite song on the radio. So is listening/paying attention to a debate on a news station.

Having a conversation on the hand free that are built into the car is no more of a distraction than any of the above. Holding a phone to your ear you tend to forget what you are doing when things get heated, typing anything in distracts you from the road because you don't know where the keys are to type and you certainly can't feel them with the touch phones. Anything that takes away from you being able to view the road 100% of the time is a distraction. I hit a button on my steering wheel and with little thought I tell the system to call my wife. The system then dials my wife. I then tell her I am on my way and ask if she needs anything, if it is a long list I ask her to text me and I will look at it when I get to the store. I then ask how the kids were doing today. All the while having my hands on the steering wheel and not looking at anything else other than the road.

#25 Rohdekill

Rohdekill

Neowinian Senior

• 3,514 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 22:38

Does not compute.

If he was stood still then no problem. If He was moving and looking at it then its no different to texting or calling.

It sure does compute when "while driving" means operating a vehicle. The keys were in the ignition and he was in the driver seat. That's all it takes for the law to consider you "driving" or "operating" a vehicle. Just ask any DUI recipient who fell asleep in their car with the keys in the ignition. It happens ALL the time.

Police in my state even said on TV that they can't enforce the no-text law as they have no clue the operator is actually texting. They could be doing anything else on the phone and it is legal. California may have generalized the law to state "distracted driving", which would include ALL apps, a manual map, putting on make-up, eating, etc... If this is the case, there's no way he will beat the ticket unless he happens upon a judge who might consider stopped at a light to be not technically operating a vehicle. Doubt that would ever happen.

#26 Rohdekill

Rohdekill

Neowinian Senior

• 3,514 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 22:57

If you want to go that far, so is having a conversation with someone in the car. So is singing to your favorite song on the radio. So is listening/paying attention to a debate on a news station.

Having a conversation on the hand free that are built into the car is no more of a distraction than any of the above. Holding a phone to your ear you tend to forget what you are doing when things get heated, typing anything in distracts you from the road because you don't know where the keys are to type and you certainly can't feel them with the touch phones. Anything that takes away from you being able to view the road 100% of the time is a distraction. I hit a button on my steering wheel and with little thought I tell the system to call my wife. The system then dials my wife. I then tell her I am on my way and ask if she needs anything, if it is a long list I ask her to text me and I will look at it when I get to the store. I then ask how the kids were doing today. All the while having my hands on the steering wheel and not looking at anything else other than the road.

Not true. I wish I still had the link to the report which covers active listening and passive-listening. Passive listening is like that of listening to a song. You hear it, but it requires no attention on your part. Active listening, such as a phone call, requires much more attention as you must pay complete attention in order to respond to a question or provide feedback.

#27 Breach

Breach

Neowinian

• 856 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 23:05

Any activity which distracts you from the act of driving increases the risk of an accident. Yes, I do think hands-free conversations count, but they are 'the lesser evil'. The key danger lies within doing anything which makes you take your eyes off the road - reading a paper map or a newspaper counts too in my book and should be penalized.

I'm really scared when I see drivers turning towards the other occupants when talking - I'd rather be considered rude but keep my eyes on the road.

#28 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

• 7,346 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 00:00

Not true. I wish I still had the link to the report which covers active listening and passive-listening. Passive listening is like that of listening to a song. You hear it, but it requires no attention on your part. Active listening, such as a phone call, requires much more attention as you must pay complete attention in order to respond to a question or provide feedback.

listening to a song is not the same as singing along to a song, you are paying attention to the lyrics to sing along to it. listening to a talk radio show that gets you heated is not the same as passive listening. passive listening is like listening to white noise, it is there but you pay no mind to it. active listening is what a lot of people do to memorize songs, sing along to songs, listen and comprehend what is going on in a talk show. I will turn on a pop station and it will be white noise to me, howard stern touches something I don't like and my blood starts to boil and I start paying less attention to the road and more attention to him. Ever get into an argument with someone...try listening to someone you strongly do not agree with in a topic, maybe michael moore, and do anything at the same time...the thing you are doing, you will be doing slower and much less precise. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out or an article.

active vs passive
http://fourgrainer.c...sive-listening/
The minute that you listen/pay attention to what you are hearing you go from passive to active.

#29 Richteralan

Richteralan

Neowinian Senior

• 2,354 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4 E960

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:11

O I lost count how many times I see drivers looking at their smartphone(s) while driving past me.

This should be in the law, like seat belt law.

But I know the auto engineer will soon invent a text-to-speech texting client connect to your smartphone through BT. So you can speak your text while you drive. LOL

#30 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:34

A ticket for a good reason.
Using a phone while driving, even slowly, takes your attention of the road.

Quite agree. Doesn't matter if it's texting or looking at maps.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!