Photo

What are your thoughts on two-factor authentication?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

Poll: What are your thoughts on two-factor authentication?

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

What are your thoughts on two-factor authentication?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

If two-factor authentication was available on a particular service would you use it?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• 10,722 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:34

I consider 2factor authentication as one additional layer and use it wherever I can. I have started using unique passwords for almost all websites as well.

The pin, like with Steam as an example. Would help in the instance where your steam password and e-mail password were different, but someone got into your steam account using it's password. Then they could just change the associated account e-mail address and password to the steam account. If you have the PIN enabled, it'll stop that, and hopefully the user doesn't have the same password for both services.

Here is something funny I heard (probably on the TWIT podcast). If you don't have two factor authentication on your Apple account and somebody gets hold of your iDevice which has associated email setup on it - you are essentially screwed. :p

#32 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• 3,868 posts
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 10 April 2013 - 14:35

Here is something funny I heard (probably on the TWIT podcast). If you don't have two factor authentication on your Apple account and somebody gets hold of your iDevice which has associated email setup on it - you are essentially screwed. :p

That's good to know. I only keep my iPad 2 around for some fitness peripherals and don't pay much attention to it otherwise. Probably should sanitize it.

#33 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• 16,164 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1u1

Posted 10 April 2013 - 14:37

I have two factor authentication setup for My Blizzard account, I have it on my GW2 account, I use it for my Google account, and i have several Tokens at work for various things. I wish i could use Google Open for all of them so I only had to use one token but its nice to have it.

#34 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,995 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 21:52

As long as they give users a choice, I would not be against two-factor.

#35 manni

manni

Neowinian

• 165 posts
  • Phone: iPhone

Posted 16 April 2013 - 16:21

I'm already using two factor authentication in few web services.

#36 sean.ferguson

sean.ferguson

Anonymous

• 736 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 20:18

I currently use 2 factor authentication with my Google account. Works very well and is definitely more secure.

#37 Sir Topham Hatt

Sir Topham Hatt

A Very Talented Individual

• 6,764 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 18:02

I am surprised in this busy world of ours, people are happy to wait for a code to be sent to a mobile device.

#38 spike232

spike232

Hedgehog

• 634 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 18:19

Depends on the method used, I enable it everywhere my yubi key is supported.

#39 soldier1st

soldier1st

Software Tester/Tech/Linux Lover

• 5,316 posts
  • Phone: HTC Incredible S

Posted 11 May 2013 - 18:42

If you ask me, it comes down to 2 factors. The annoy factor and the convenience factor. A user wants something that is convenient, without alot/any of the annoy factor. if the annoy factor outways the convenience factor, then not many if any users will adopt it. It would also depend on what they are using and what is stored in/on it.