Windows 8 contains the hidden display off timeout for Lock Screen

I have discovered the hidden parameter in Windows 8 which allows you to unlock this:

xypS4be.png

It is display off timeout which hidden by default. You can specify how many time the Lock screen will stay visible :)

You can get the tweak and documented parameters here

Enjoy :rolleyes:

Link appears to be down, but here is the info - http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/8267-power-options-add-console-lock-display-off-timeout.html

The option is hidden by default, but here is the REG entry file

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\7516b95f-f776-4464-8c53-06167f40cc99\8EC4B3A5-6868-48c2-BE75-4F3044BE88A7]

"Attributes"=dword:00000002

How is it "hidden"?

You have to make a regedit change to get that option to show up in the power settings. Tweaking the registry for this = no thanks. I don't need to be able to tweak this parameter anyway...

How is it "hidden"?

You know how - because it doesn't have a user-friendly interface. Referring to such things as "hidden" has been commonplace for a long time.

I can't stand these pointless trolling rhetorical questions!

You know how - because it doesn't have a user-friendly interface. Referring to such things as "hidden" has been commonplace for a long time.

I can't stand these pointless trolling rhetorical questions!

It's hidden because it doesn't show up unless you enable the reg edit fix.

You have to make a regedit change to get that option to show up in the power settings. Tweaking the registry for this = no thanks. I don't need to be able to tweak this parameter anyway...

Ash ok, I didn't realize that It requires a registry change after reading OP. my bad.

For anyone wondering the use of this, if you Winkey+L your system and lock your screen often, like me. This setting controls the power standby time out of the monitor while on the lock screen, I think the default is 1 minute.

The power options for monitor standby will not change this, you have to change this setting specifically. It's annoying cause I would get up to go do something real quick, and my 27" and 30" monitor's were constantly powering to standby. It probably isn't healthy for them to do that over and over super often.

For anyone wondering the use of this, if you Winkey+L your system and lock your screen often, like me. This setting controls the power standby time out of the monitor while on the lock screen, I think the default is 1 minute.

The power options for monitor standby will not change this, you have to change this setting specifically. It's annoying cause I would get up to go do something real quick, and my 27" and 30" monitor's were constantly powering to standby. It probably isn't healthy for them to do that over and over super often.

Thanks for the explination. this setting is a must change for me.

Thanks for the explination. this setting is a must change for me.

No problem, it took me awhile to figure out what was actually causing it. I thought it was just not respecting the power options for the monitor time out, then I tracked it down.