nextbox xbox

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 10 April 2013 - 17:51

Complete title: Exclusive: Microsoft's next Xbox will take over your TV, interact with your cable
More: http://www.theverge....rtainment-plans

Microsoft is investing in TV in a big way with its next Xbox console as part of a fight for the living room. Multiple sources familiar with the company's Xbox plans have revealed to The Verge that Microsoft will introduce a feature that lets its next-generation console take over a TV and set-top box in a similar way to Google TV. We understand that the next Xbox will require an online connection to use the entertainment services, allowing them to be always-on for streaming and access to TV signals.
The functionality will work by taking a cable box signal and passing it through to the Xbox via HDMI, allowing Microsoft's console to overlay a UI and features on top of an existing TV channel or set-top box. We're told that this is a key part of the next-generation Xbox and that it will go a step further than Google's TV implementation thanks to Microsoft's partnerships with content providers. Extended support for various cable services will be rolled out gradually, but the basic functionality will be available at launch.

I think this sounds more like an intentional leak from Microsoft after last week's riot.

#2 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 10 April 2013 - 17:54

Annnnnndddd it'll probably only be open to you if you pay the xbl gold price. Cause gating (almost)every feature off to suck money out of people is the microsoft way.

#3 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 10 April 2013 - 17:55

Very interesting indeed. This really makes the next Xbox more of a all-in-one entertainment device for the living room.

#4 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 April 2013 - 17:55

Sure, after you pay for cable + the internet + Live.

#5 Pygmy_Hippo

Pygmy_Hippo

Neowinian

Posted 10 April 2013 - 18:00

Hopefully this is the reason for all of the "always online" rumours

#6 +patseguin

patseguin

Neowin Addict

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 10 April 2013 - 18:03

That's great if you use cable. What about DirecTV?

#7 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 April 2013 - 18:03

Hopefully this is the reason for all of the "always online" rumours

It sounds like it, like any cable/satellite box that are connected to the providers system all the time.

#8 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 April 2013 - 18:04

It will probably have a passthrough HDMI and IR blaster so it can overlay its own UI on top of your settop box.

#9 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 April 2013 - 18:06

It should work for directtv as well, I don't think the hardware cares as long as there is a hdmi signal going into the Xbox and a internet connection. The internet connection requirement for this fits since that's the way it'll talk back to the tv providers systems.

#10 OP BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 April 2013 - 18:06

Annnnnndddd it'll probably only be open to you if you pay the xbl gold price. Cause gating (almost)every feature off to suck money out of people is the microsoft way.

If we assume that XBL Gold continues, pay XX amount to Microsoft instead of paying YY amount to your cable provider.
It works out the same. In my case, I currently pay on average $35/year to Microsoft and Verizon charges me $12/month for their stupid box.

#11 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 10 April 2013 - 18:10

Sure, after you pay for cable + the internet + Live.

Like most I already do... so... Well technically satellite, but it hardly matters.

#12 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 April 2013 - 18:19

Sounds great as long as you are in the US.

#13 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 April 2013 - 18:23

Sounds great as long as you are in the US.

It doesn't sound like it is going to be US only as long as the cable/sat providers allow it. Though even then the basic tv overlay stuff should just work I think. What might not work are the more advanced services support that will be rolled out over time that the article talks about at the end.

#14 Emn1ty

Emn1ty

Web Programmer

• Phone: Driod Razr

Posted 10 April 2013 - 18:23

Very interesting indeed. This really makes the next Xbox more of a all-in-one entertainment device for the living room.

I doubt it will be for subscribers only, but some of the advanced features might be. Regardless, I think the WiiU has set the precedant for media devices. The fact you can use its controller as a replacement for your TV and Cable Box just goes to show that Consoles are becoming true multimedia devices now. And I'm perfectly fine with that.

#15 Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 10 April 2013 - 18:25

I'd rather have it just stick to IPTV. It's the reason I love the Xbox in my bedroom, so I can stream it all through an ethernet cable.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!