Microsoft's next Xbox will take over your TV, interact with your cable

Complete title: Exclusive: Microsoft's next Xbox will take over your TV, interact with your cable

More: http://www.theverge....rtainment-plans

Microsoft is investing in TV in a big way with its next Xbox console as part of a fight for the living room. Multiple sources familiar with the company's Xbox plans have revealed to The Verge that Microsoft will introduce a feature that lets its next-generation console take over a TV and set-top box in a similar way to Google TV. We understand that the next Xbox will require an online connection to use the entertainment services, allowing them to be always-on for streaming and access to TV signals.

The functionality will work by taking a cable box signal and passing it through to the Xbox via HDMI, allowing Microsoft's console to overlay a UI and features on top of an existing TV channel or set-top box. We're told that this is a key part of the next-generation Xbox and that it will go a step further than Google's TV implementation thanks to Microsoft's partnerships with content providers. Extended support for various cable services will be rolled out gradually, but the basic functionality will be available at launch.

I think this sounds more like an intentional leak from Microsoft after last week's riot.

Annnnnndddd it'll probably only be open to you if you pay the xbl gold price. Cause gating (almost)every feature off to suck money out of people is the microsoft way.

Very interesting indeed. This really makes the next Xbox more of a all-in-one entertainment device for the living room.

Hopefully this is the reason for all of the "always online" rumours

It sounds like it, like any cable/satellite box that are connected to the providers system all the time.

That's great if you use cable. What about DirecTV?

It will probably have a passthrough HDMI and IR blaster so it can overlay its own UI on top of your settop box.

That's great if you use cable. What about DirecTV?

It should work for directtv as well, I don't think the hardware cares as long as there is a hdmi signal going into the Xbox and a internet connection. The internet connection requirement for this fits since that's the way it'll talk back to the tv providers systems.

Annnnnndddd it'll probably only be open to you if you pay the xbl gold price. Cause gating (almost)every feature off to suck money out of people is the microsoft way.

If we assume that XBL Gold continues, pay XX amount to Microsoft instead of paying YY amount to your cable provider.

It works out the same. In my case, I currently pay on average $35/year to Microsoft and Verizon charges me $12/month for their stupid box.

Sure, after you pay for cable + the internet + Live.

Like most I already do... so... Well technically satellite, but it hardly matters.

Sounds great as long as you are in the US.

It doesn't sound like it is going to be US only as long as the cable/sat providers allow it. Though even then the basic tv overlay stuff should just work I think. What might not work are the more advanced services support that will be rolled out over time that the article talks about at the end.

Very interesting indeed. This really makes the next Xbox more of a all-in-one entertainment device for the living room.

I doubt it will be for subscribers only, but some of the advanced features might be. Regardless, I think the WiiU has set the precedant for media devices. The fact you can use its controller as a replacement for your TV and Cable Box just goes to show that Consoles are becoming true multimedia devices now. And I'm perfectly fine with that.

I'd rather have it just stick to IPTV. It's the reason I love the Xbox in my bedroom, so I can stream it all through an ethernet cable.

All that stuff isn't going away though. The Netflix streaming and so on will still be there but now it sounds like you'll be able to bring it up or any of the other streaming apps right on top of your tv signal like it was part of the tv menus. Not having to jump over to a different input and then wait for it to boot up and then final get to Netflix.

It will not for me. I would have to own the next XBOX for it to take over my TV. Even then it will not because I am not updating my TV or cable box for the XBOX. Even if I did upgrade my hardware it still will not because I am going to be getting rid of my Dish service and going to all streaming. Damn, I probably will buy an XBOX to use for my streaming media. Guess I will be using their service anyway. lol

I have Freeview and Freesat decoders built-in to my TV. The dish and aerial plugs straight into it. This functionality will not work for me?

Nope, US only.

/s

I'd rather have it just stick to IPTV. It's the reason I love the Xbox in my bedroom, so I can stream it all through an ethernet cable.

the point is that, people watch TV through cable, satellite, netflix and xbox among other things. the Glass function on the xbox currently is only compatible with watching series and movies through xbox video. Netflix support by letting the glass function hook into the netflix app wouldn't be impossible. But as anyone outside the US knows, a lot of series and movies simply aren't available on streaming services since TV channels in each european country has bought exclusive rights to the shows. netflix can't buy Eruope wide licences.

Now by using the HDMI input. the xbox can hook into your cable/satellite/terrestrial receiver, and by reading the channels EPG on the net, it not only knows what you're watching, it knows roughly where in the episode/movie you are. and you can get all the Glass goodness without streaming. And as the article states, it can apply overlays over the movie, it can give you access to your xbox functions on top. an if the rumors of the xbox running apps, is true, probably Modern UI apps. then you can access all this in top of your movie/series watching.

I have Freeview and Freesat decoders built-in to my TV. The dish and aerial plugs straight into it. This functionality will not work for me?

It sounds like it, the Xbox will use a hdmi-in connection from your set top box. If you don't have on then I guess it won't work but we'll have to wait and see.

Not sure how i'm going to connect the scart plug from my Virgin box though.............. :D

It's a bit late to the game with all the new TV's having not just DVB-T tuners built in, but more and more C and S2 as well. BUT over here you can now get multiple tuners for the same or nearly the same monthly price, and more people choose a PVR tuner for their primary, since it allows them to record one program while watching another, or recording two programs. so most families still have external tuners.

• Like 2

If we assume that XBL Gold continues, pay XX amount to Microsoft instead of paying YY amount to your cable provider.

It works out the same. In my case, I currently pay on average $35/year to Microsoft and Verizon charges me $12/month for their stupid box.

Dont you think you would still need their stupid box though? I cannot see Verizon saying you cannot have any of their boxes at all no?

And I am a Verizon FIOS subscriber, so I know the 360 currently acts as an additional STB right now, but surely Verizon would not allow it to be the only one?

If they somehow did allow it and you can use just their lines into your house and were not required to get any STB through them, then this is a possible alternative indeed. Would it also serve as a DVR as well would then be my next question.

Dont you think you would still need their stupid box though? I cannot see Verizon saying you cannot have any of their boxes at all no?

And I am a Verizon FIOS subscriber, so I know the 360 currently acts as an additional STB right now, but surely Verizon would not allow it to be the only one?

If they somehow did allow it and you can use just their lines into your house and were not required to get any STB through them, then this is a possible alternative indeed. Would it also serve as a DVR as well would then be my next question.

Maybe Verizon will have it as a box option next to the normal one they use now? What if you got it that way?