• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#16 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 10 April 2013 - 18:30

I'd rather have it just stick to IPTV. It's the reason I love the Xbox in my bedroom, so I can stream it all through an ethernet cable.

All that stuff isn't going away though. The Netflix streaming and so on will still be there but now it sounds like you'll be able to bring it up or any of the other streaming apps right on top of your tv signal like it was part of the tv menus. Not having to jump over to a different input and then wait for it to boot up and then final get to Netflix.

#17 BillyJack

BillyJack

Neowinian

Posted 10 April 2013 - 18:34

It will not for me. I would have to own the next XBOX for it to take over my TV. Even then it will not because I am not updating my TV or cable box for the XBOX. Even if I did upgrade my hardware it still will not because I am going to be getting rid of my Dish service and going to all streaming. Damn, I probably will buy an XBOX to use for my streaming media. Guess I will be using their service anyway. lol

#18 Fish

Fish

Slamdunk the funk

Posted 10 April 2013 - 18:44

I have Freeview and Freesat decoders built-in to my TV. The dish and aerial plugs straight into it. This functionality will not work for me?

#19 Pygmy_Hippo

Pygmy_Hippo

Neowinian

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 10 April 2013 - 18:46

Not sure how i'm going to connect the scart plug from my Virgin box though.............. :D

#20 Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 10 April 2013 - 18:46

I have Freeview and Freesat decoders built-in to my TV. The dish and aerial plugs straight into it. This functionality will not work for me?

Nope, US only.

/s

#21 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 10 April 2013 - 18:48

I'd rather have it just stick to IPTV. It's the reason I love the Xbox in my bedroom, so I can stream it all through an ethernet cable.

the point is that, people watch TV through cable, satellite, netflix and xbox among other things. the Glass function on the xbox currently is only compatible with watching series and movies through xbox video. Netflix support by letting the glass function hook into the netflix app wouldn't be impossible. But as anyone outside the US knows, a lot of series and movies simply aren't available on streaming services since TV channels in each european country has bought exclusive rights to the shows. netflix can't buy Eruope wide licences.

Now by using the HDMI input. the xbox can hook into your cable/satellite/terrestrial receiver, and by reading the channels EPG on the net, it not only knows what you're watching, it knows roughly where in the episode/movie you are. and you can get all the Glass goodness without streaming. And as the article states, it can apply overlays over the movie, it can give you access to your xbox functions on top. an if the rumors of the xbox running apps, is true, probably Modern UI apps. then you can access all this in top of your movie/series watching.

#22 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 April 2013 - 18:50

It sounds like it, the Xbox will use a hdmi-in connection from your set top box. If you don't have on then I guess it won't work but we'll have to wait and see.

#23 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 10 April 2013 - 18:51

Not sure how i'm going to connect the scart plug from my Virgin box though.............. :D

It's a bit late to the game with all the new TV's having not just DVB-T tuners built in, but more and more C and S2 as well. BUT over here you can now get multiple tuners for the same or nearly the same monthly price, and more people choose a PVR tuner for their primary, since it allows them to record one program while watching another, or recording two programs. so most families still have external tuners.

#24 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 10 April 2013 - 18:52

If we assume that XBL Gold continues, pay XX amount to Microsoft instead of paying YY amount to your cable provider.
It works out the same. In my case, I currently pay on average $35/year to Microsoft and Verizon charges me $12/month for their stupid box.

Dont you think you would still need their stupid box though? I cannot see Verizon saying you cannot have any of their boxes at all no?
And I am a Verizon FIOS subscriber, so I know the 360 currently acts as an additional STB right now, but surely Verizon would not allow it to be the only one?
If they somehow did allow it and you can use just their lines into your house and were not required to get any STB through them, then this is a possible alternative indeed. Would it also serve as a DVR as well would then be my next question.

#25 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 April 2013 - 18:55

Dont you think you would still need their stupid box though? I cannot see Verizon saying you cannot have any of their boxes at all no?
And I am a Verizon FIOS subscriber, so I know the 360 currently acts as an additional STB right now, but surely Verizon would not allow it to be the only one?
If they somehow did allow it and you can use just their lines into your house and were not required to get any STB through them, then this is a possible alternative indeed. Would it also serve as a DVR as well would then be my next question.

Maybe Verizon will have it as a box option next to the normal one they use now? What if you got it that way?

#26 OP BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 April 2013 - 18:55

I am 9999% sure verizon won't allow me to bypass their box :p :angry: but if they did, then paying for XBLGold won't be as bad. A friend of mine has already returned one of his FiOS cable boxes because his Xbox 360 can substitute for it (won't work for everyone because of limited channels). He already pays for XBLGold for online play and hence ended up saving $$ on his second box.

#27 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 April 2013 - 19:02

I am 9999% sure verizon won't allow me to bypass their box :p :angry: but if they did, then paying for XBLGold won't be as bad. A friend of mine has already returned one of his FiOS cable boxes because his Xbox 360 can substitute for it (won't work for everyone because of limited channels). He already pays for XBLGold for online play and hence ended up saving $$ on his second box.

Sure Verizon gets a little less because you don't pay for their box but if they let you use the Xbox wouldn't that also save them on supporting the hardware they do now? If MS played it right they could make deals to make the Xbox the cable providers default box. That would be a huge win for them.

#28 OP BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 April 2013 - 19:08

Sure Verizon gets a little less because you don't pay for their box but if they let you use the Xbox wouldn't that also save them on supporting the hardware they do now? If MS played it right they could make deals to make the Xbox the cable providers default box. That would be a huge win for them.

Repeat after me: Verizon will not do anything that makes them less money :laugh:

I will be a happy soul if this happens but I seriously doubt it.

#29 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 April 2013 - 19:10

Repeat after me: Verizon will not do anything that makes them less money :laugh:

I will be a happy soul if this happens but I seriously doubt it.

:p
Well if it saves you on paying for a second box then that's something at least.

#30 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 10 April 2013 - 20:07

I'm afraid I don't see MS making a success of this.

This was what everyone (including MS) wanted from Windows Media Center and it never amounted to anything because the cable companies weren't interested in giving up any control. As a result, Americans got fed up waiting for the promise to become reality and the rest of the world got fed up waiting for MS to devote a similar amount of attention to making WMC support all the features of DVB-T. In the end nobody was satisfied and a potentially great product became the afterthought that it is today.