worldwide technology consultancy ultrabooks windows 8

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#46 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

• 8,896 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 13:23

Modern PCs (from the past 3 or so years) tend of have much longer lifespan than they used to. You don't need to buy new hardware to use current software.
That's a huge part in declining sales.
Not to mention all the other platforms that computer type stuff can be done on. That's a huge change in the past 5 years.

Blaming all this on Windows 8 is just asinine.

#47 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• 6,730 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 11 April 2013 - 13:24

I actually agree with this to a certain extent. Windows 8 is definitely not helping the situation - there is such a negative impression of Windows 8 by REGULAR consumers (not any of you on this forum). The switch to a market that's more focused on tablets/smartphones/mobile devices is apparent, but when Windows 7 came out, it was absolutely a big HIT.

#48 Eric

Eric

Neowinian Senior

• 12,926 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 13:26

Let's stick to the topic and not call out other members, eh?

#49 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• 19,326 posts
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 11 April 2013 - 13:26

Again, doesn't IDC talk about "traditional" PCs in this report? My shiny new Samsung ativ smart PC isn't a "traditional" PC it's a tablet/hybrid PC. Does IDC count this or not? Or do the put it in the mobile category? If this dip is mostly on the back of big desktop PCs why is this a surprise when everyone is going for the new hybrids, tablets, and slates. None of those are traditional.

#50 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• 2,499 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 13:28

As much as I love Microsoft, I'm still calling Windows 8 the worst product of all time. I'd much rather use Windows ME. If Microsoft does not change their ways, or at the very least start listening to their users, they will suffer. Die hard tech savvy people will move somewhere different, and the average consumer will continue to buy fruity products. Why? Quote on quote from a friend: "Why would I want to buy a Microsoft tablet for a 1000 dollars when I can have a 600 dollar iPad?" It comes down to marketing. The consumer buys the iPad because it has a name brand on it, it is more afordible, and has a larger selection of apps.

#51 fusi0n

fusi0n

Don't call it a come back

• 3,856 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 11 April 2013 - 13:30

Let's stick to the topic and not call out other members, eh?

sorry :(

#52 Mike Loney

Mike Loney

Neowinian

• 37 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 13:34

As someone who uses both Windows and Linux (and clearly by my avatar, I despise ie6-ie8, but ie9 and ie10 are decent), I must say that I hope PC sales at least are big enough for Microsoft and Linux to both hold on. Sure, Linux has mostly always been a thing for geeks, and Microsoft has some die-hard users as well, but in reality, we may very well be in the same boat here. If everyone leaves for mobile phones, there is not enough demand for hardware. I hope however that traditional PCs with Windows and Desktop Linux will continue to sell for a very long time. I cannot code on my Android phone or tablet. At least not efficiently. Some crap app cannot compare to Visual Studio or GCC with all the IDEs Linux has. But on the plus side, I believe that all the viruses may just move off the PC platform and head for Android, so at least Windows may not be plagued by crapware as much anymore. That would suck though, in one way, because phones these days hold more personal info that PCs, unless used by a business. Then the viruses would have even more ways to spread on phones (contact lists, wireless networks, etc.) And the average user is dumb enough to just download APKs that look suspicious. Although now the viruses aren't that bad, and Linux has always been relatively secure (Windows Vista, 7, & 8 have each gotten more secure though), I fear that if enough people are stupid, we could have to deal with mobile botnets. I would much rather use my PC with either Windows or Linux than a dumbed down, locked in mobile phone. The phone and tablet are just for doing quick things, like calling, texting, browsing the web, making notes, and casual gaming.

#53 brainsuck

brainsuck

Neowinian

• 59 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 13:43

It's not Windows 8 it the under power hardware that being push out The only way to get anything is put it together yourself cpu at 1.6 gig is not power anybody Play gta4 on a surface pro

#54 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,992 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 13:46

That's not even close to being true, the hardware being pushed out today, even in the very cheapest of new computers comfortable exceeds what Windows needs to run smoothly. Consumers have a hell of a habit of reacting to crap software and it seems to me that they are doing so here.

#55 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• 3,874 posts
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 11 April 2013 - 13:53

That's not even close to being true, the hardware being pushed out today, even in the very cheapest of new computers comfortable exceeds what Windows needs to run smoothly. Consumers have a hell of a habit of reacting to crap software and it seems to me that they are doing so here.

Agree except in the case of Surface RT. It needs more horsepower to run as fluidly as say an iPad. Don't know about the Pro. I have one in the office waiting for me but I just have no need for it at the moment.

#56 matt4pack

matt4pack

Neowinian

• 787 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 14:03

I'm using my desktop from 2008 as my main machine and it still functions fine. Even runs every game I throw at it. PC's have just reached a point where they are ahead of software now so they aren't becoming outdated like they use to and thus don't need to be upgraded as often.

Throw in smartphones and tablets and it's not surprising to see this at all. Windows 8 has a little to do with it but not nearly as much as they would like to make you believe.

#57 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 26,772 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 14:13

Windows 8 is not the cause of the declining PC market.

can you at least admit that it might have had a TINY TINY bit to do with it?

#58 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 11,191 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 11 April 2013 - 14:52

can you at least admit that it might have had a TINY TINY bit to do with it?

Maybe. But we could also blame Windows 7 just as equally.

#59 Motoko.

Motoko.

Neowinian Senior

• 4,767 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 14:54

Maybe. But we could also blame Windows 7 just as equally.

Seek employment with Microsoft's Marketing, you can take Adam Orth's place

#60 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• 2,101 posts
  • OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 11 April 2013 - 14:55

Seek employment with Microsoft's Marketing, you can take Adam Orth's place

He would lose it by I think the same reasons as him just as fast...