Microsoft Office Coming To Linux In 2014

Truth be told this will probably be free viewers... then you have to pay to get the ability to write in them.

That way people can still save things in their docx format instead of shifting to the open format.

this is 6 weeks old news :( They probably will release ms office for linux as governments are switching to linux and they don't want to miss out on those government contracts.

Sure, like governments will switch to Linux. Windows is too good of an operating system for them to switch to Linux.

Sure, like governments will switch to Linux. Windows is too good of an operating system for them to switch to Linux.

Well lets see:

Thats alot of money if Microsoft does that, AND they can convince them to go with Office.

I can't think of any reason why this would be a good idea. You can already take a large chunk of Linux users and guarantee they'll never use it. A lot of Linux users won't use closed source software like this (I know it said "considering open sourcing", I'll believe it when I see it, more likely PARTS will be open source with a number of proprietary plugins), a lot of Linux users are Microsoft haters or using Linux to specifically get away from Microsoft and their licensing, AND LibreOffice works pretty damn well these days. I'm a Linux user, and I'm not uptight about closed source software or a MS hater or anything, but I can't see why I would ever care if Office was available on Linux. I'll stick to LibreOffice.

But hey, I guess I've got no problem with having choices. I just think Microsoft, being Microsoft, will spend massive amounts of money on development and I think they'd find themselves shunned by probably the majority of Linux users. Doesn't seem like a wise business decision right now.

"The United States Department of Defense uses Linux - "the U.S. Army is ?the? single largest install base for Red Hat Linux"[13] and the US Navy nuclear submarine fleet runs on Linux.[14]"

AFAIK that is erroneous, from an old article from many years ago I remember it saying the DoD had their own version of linux with over 100 times more lines of code than normal distributions and it was all private to the DoD.

this is 6 weeks old news :( They probably will release ms office for linux as governments are switching to linux and they don't want to miss out on those government contracts.

I du no, I'm seeing more governments moving back to windows from windows after trying Linux the last couple of years.

Well lets see:

Thats alot of money if Microsoft does that, AND they can convince them to go with Office.

Department of Defense still uses Windows too....

Don't think that governments are exclusive to a single OS for everything.

"The United States Department of Defense uses Linux - "the U.S. Army is ?the? single largest install base for Red Hat Linux"[13] and the US Navy nuclear submarine fleet runs on Linux.[14]"

AFAIK that is erroneous, from an old article from many years ago I remember it saying the DoD had their own version of linux with over 100 times more lines of code than normal distributions and it was all private to the DoD.

Most of that list is biased leaving out half the truth, outdated or plain erroneous. Some of it doesn't even make sense to be in such a list, what does embedded voting units running Linux have to do with such a list.

Most of that list is biased leaving out half the truth, outdated or plain erroneous. Some of it doesn't even make sense to be in such a list, what does embedded voting units running Linux have to do with such a list.

Well considering the poster copy and pasted wikipedia, it doesn't shock me one bit.

• Like 2

If anyone thinks Microsoft is going to waste resources porting these applications to an OS that has zero market share or value, is kidding themselves.

If anyone thinks Microsoft is going to waste resources porting these applications to an OS that has zero market share or value, is kidding themselves.

Unless Microsoft has plans to dump the classic desktop market and to focus on the consumer market with tablets and related products. If that is the case, they can dump the desktop while still monetizing it via their classic cash cows like Office. With Microsoft's current path I wouldn't be surprised if this is their end goal. To give the business desktop market away and to focus on the backend (via Azure, C#, etc.) and to go for a full consumer play elsewhere (Windows becoming a pure consumer OS).

Unless Microsoft has plans to dump the classic desktop market and to focus on the consumer market with tablets and related products. If that is the case, they can dump the desktop while still monetizing it via their classic cash cows like Office. With Microsoft's current path I wouldn't be surprised if this is their end goal. To give the business desktop market away and to focus on the backend (via Azure, C#, etc.) and to go for a full consumer play elsewhere (Windows becoming a pure consumer OS).

The desktop isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Microsoft developers have said that, and those who think a transition like that can happen overnight, aren't really thinking too well.

Linux just isn't worth the resources, and if people really believe this, just look at the Mac version of Office, it barely gets touched. Then there's the question of open source zealots who wouldn't go near Office with a million foot pole.

The desktop isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Microsoft developers have said that, and those who think a transition like that can happen overnight, aren't really thinking too well.

Linux just isn't worth the resources, and if people really believe this, just look at the Mac version of Office, it barely gets touched. Then there's the question of open source zealots who wouldn't go near Office with a million foot pole.

Obviously, a transition to Linux for business customers wouldn't be done overnight! If Microsoft is seeing the consumer space as the future (as they have shown to be seeing it) then I can see them making this path. Linux isn't all that common today, but if Microsoft all but abandons the desktop I'm sure it will become more common. After all, the business world isn't going to be embracing Metro heavily anytime soon, if ever. It just doesn't offer the benefits to a corporate user that it does to the consumer.

If you need more proof of this look at Windows Phone. Windows Phone 7 launched with a LOT of business friendly features missing and Windows Phone 8 still lacks a lions share of them. Hell, Windows Mobile 6 still has better support for Exchange ActiveSync than Windows Phone 7 or 8!* Microsoft is clearly trying to distance themselves from corporate customers. Otherwise, they wouldn't be shipping weaker support for their own products...

* See: TechNet or Wikipedia

Despite the fact that I really like LibreOffice, I realize that most of the world uses Microsoft Office. Unfortunately I can't use LibreOffice exclusively until it supports Microsoft Office's formatting 100% (both read and write). Since that is not likely to happen in the near future (and Microsoft Office's ODF support is so poor), I use Microsoft Office in wine when I create or edit documents that people on other, non-FOSS, platforms will need to edit. If Microsoft releases Microsoft Office for Linux, it runs on my system, and it is not unreasonably expensive compared to Microsoft Office for Windows, I will buy it.

Desktop Linux? Desktop Windows is having enough difficulty as is, I don't think it's in Microsoft's financial interest to support other PC operating systems, especially one that has a completely insignificant market share. I just don't see how that can make sense. There are so many more promising areas of growth where Microsoft could do so much better right now than desktop Linux...

Our government systems are pretty diverse. While I was in the military (Only got out less than a year ago), I worked on everything from Solaris to Redhat Linux to Windows 7 and everything in between. It all just depends on what system you're talking about and what it's being used for.

Desktop Linux? Desktop Windows is having enough difficulty as is, I don't think it's in Microsoft's financial interest to support other PC operating systems, especially one that has a completely insignificant market share. I just don't see how that can make sense. There are so many more promising areas of growth where Microsoft could do so much better right now than desktop Linux...

Unfortunately I completely agree with you. I think it would be very foolish for Microsoft to expend the resources to produce Microsoft Office for Linux. There are much better things they could do with that time and money. Realistically I think that the more promising alternative is full DOCX support in LibreOffice, which still has only a snowball's chance in hell of happening. Until then I guess I'll just stick with my current solution.