• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#16 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 11 April 2013 - 17:07

If anyone thinks Microsoft is going to waste resources porting these applications to an OS that has zero market share or value, is kidding themselves.

#17 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 11 April 2013 - 17:17

If anyone thinks Microsoft is going to waste resources porting these applications to an OS that has zero market share or value, is kidding themselves.

Unless Microsoft has plans to dump the classic desktop market and to focus on the consumer market with tablets and related products. If that is the case, they can dump the desktop while still monetizing it via their classic cash cows like Office. With Microsoft's current path I wouldn't be surprised if this is their end goal. To give the business desktop market away and to focus on the backend (via Azure, C#, etc.) and to go for a full consumer play elsewhere (Windows becoming a pure consumer OS).

#18 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 11 April 2013 - 17:20

Unless Microsoft has plans to dump the classic desktop market and to focus on the consumer market with tablets and related products. If that is the case, they can dump the desktop while still monetizing it via their classic cash cows like Office. With Microsoft's current path I wouldn't be surprised if this is their end goal. To give the business desktop market away and to focus on the backend (via Azure, C#, etc.) and to go for a full consumer play elsewhere (Windows becoming a pure consumer OS).

The desktop isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Microsoft developers have said that, and those who think a transition like that can happen overnight, aren't really thinking too well.

Linux just isn't worth the resources, and if people really believe this, just look at the Mac version of Office, it barely gets touched. Then there's the question of open source zealots who wouldn't go near Office with a million foot pole.

#19 xn--bya

xn--bya

Neowinian

Posted 11 April 2013 - 17:21

Pre 2010 versions can work more or less fine under Wine, although a native version would be sweet.

#20 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 11 April 2013 - 18:09

The desktop isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Microsoft developers have said that, and those who think a transition like that can happen overnight, aren't really thinking too well.

Linux just isn't worth the resources, and if people really believe this, just look at the Mac version of Office, it barely gets touched. Then there's the question of open source zealots who wouldn't go near Office with a million foot pole.

Obviously, a transition to Linux for business customers wouldn't be done overnight! If Microsoft is seeing the consumer space as the future (as they have shown to be seeing it) then I can see them making this path. Linux isn't all that common today, but if Microsoft all but abandons the desktop I'm sure it will become more common. After all, the business world isn't going to be embracing Metro heavily anytime soon, if ever. It just doesn't offer the benefits to a corporate user that it does to the consumer.

If you need more proof of this look at Windows Phone. Windows Phone 7 launched with a LOT of business friendly features missing and Windows Phone 8 still lacks a lions share of them. Hell, Windows Mobile 6 still has better support for Exchange ActiveSync than Windows Phone 7 or 8!* Microsoft is clearly trying to distance themselves from corporate customers. Otherwise, they wouldn't be shipping weaker support for their own products...

* See: TechNet or Wikipedia

#21 +Karl L.

Karl L.

xorangekiller

• Tech Issues Solved: 15

Posted 11 April 2013 - 20:15

Despite the fact that I really like LibreOffice, I realize that most of the world uses Microsoft Office. Unfortunately I can't use LibreOffice exclusively until it supports Microsoft Office's formatting 100% (both read and write). Since that is not likely to happen in the near future (and Microsoft Office's ODF support is so poor), I use Microsoft Office in wine when I create or edit documents that people on other, non-FOSS, platforms will need to edit. If Microsoft releases Microsoft Office for Linux, it runs on my system, and it is not unreasonably expensive compared to Microsoft Office for Windows, I will buy it.

#22 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:21

I've been hearing this for years. I'll believe it when I see it.

#23 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:34

Desktop Linux? Desktop Windows is having enough difficulty as is, I don't think it's in Microsoft's financial interest to support other PC operating systems, especially one that has a completely insignificant market share. I just don't see how that can make sense. There are so many more promising areas of growth where Microsoft could do so much better right now than desktop Linux...

#24 Gerowen

Gerowen

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:03

Sure, like governments will switch to Linux. Windows is too good of an operating system for them to switch to Linux.

Our government systems are pretty diverse. While I was in the military (Only got out less than a year ago), I worked on everything from Solaris to Redhat Linux to Windows 7 and everything in between. It all just depends on what system you're talking about and what it's being used for.

#25 +Karl L.

Karl L.

xorangekiller

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:00

Desktop Linux? Desktop Windows is having enough difficulty as is, I don't think it's in Microsoft's financial interest to support other PC operating systems, especially one that has a completely insignificant market share. I just don't see how that can make sense. There are so many more promising areas of growth where Microsoft could do so much better right now than desktop Linux...

Unfortunately I completely agree with you. I think it would be very foolish for Microsoft to expend the resources to produce Microsoft Office for Linux. There are much better things they could do with that time and money. Realistically I think that the more promising alternative is full DOCX support in LibreOffice, which still has only a snowball's chance in hell of happening. Until then I guess I'll just stick with my current solution.

#26 +virtorio

virtorio

4089 III

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:12

Microsoft is a software company, it's in their best interest to have their software available to as many users as possible, and that includes non-Windows users.

#27 +virtorio

virtorio

4089 III

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:18

just look at the Mac version of Office

I do every day. The current version has received loads of updates, and a leaked roadmap has a new version of Office: Mac coming early 2014. How does that classify as "barely gets touched"?

#28 +Karl L.

Karl L.

xorangekiller

Posted 12 April 2013 - 14:39

I do every day. The current version has received loads of updates, and a leaked roadmap has a new version of Office: Mac coming early 2014. How does that classify as "barely gets touched"?

I think what he means is that Microsoft first develops new versions of Office for Windows, then takes the complete (or near-complete) code and begins to try to make as much as possible work properly on OS X. That's why the OS X version of Office is released months after the equivalent version for Windows. I think Dot Matrix meant that Office: Mac "barely gets touched" in that it is not a high priority for Microsoft - at least not compared to Office for Windows. Unfortunately if Office ever gets released for Linux it will probably get the same treatment. It's not ideal, but it is realistic.

#29 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 12 April 2013 - 14:46

Well lets see:

Many of those switched back as I recall...

#30 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 12 April 2013 - 14:52

Pffft LibreOffice, just as good and free and it's been on Linux for years.

just as good?...only if you hate yourself. :p

Most of that list is biased leaving out half the truth, outdated or plain erroneous. Some of it doesn't even make sense to be in such a list, what does embedded voting units running Linux have to do with such a list.

True that. IIRC City of Munich was the most publicized and they have switched back wasting millions on the Linux side.