Microsoft Office Coming To Linux In 2014

They probably would have had a similar drop in "problems" with any upgrade. they where running pretty old stuff prior to this.

Maybe, but these are facts and the other are assumptions.

facts don't prove or mean anything when you only have the facts for one option though.

Facts mean that the Munich migration is the opposite of a failure, which was the whole point.

On Windows, GIMP has nothing on Paint.Net

Paint.NET isn't even the same class of software as Photoshop or The Gimp.

Doesn't prove it was the best course of action. just that their new system is better than the old one.

Had they stuck with Windows, that wouldn't have proven anything either, would it? Same as we don't know about lots of companies and governments that are doing exactly that.

As it is, they seem to be doing fine and have saved over ?11 million. We'll never know if that was the best option but it has turned out to be pretty good.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Have you ever tested SoftMaker Office? It's compatibility to all Microsoft Office formats is great and I never had any problems gong back and forth, They also offer a free office suite with reduced functionality, but pretty enough for most private users:

freeoffice.com

Try to load any docx file with SoftMaker Office or FreeOffice, it should be fine, no messed up formatting as in LibreOffice

I used LibreOffice in a very heavy office environment for years and never had any "formatting" issues.. even with docx..

Hi Fus10n,

then you're lucky. I used LibreOffice for about a year (and tested the new LibreOffice for a while) and had lots of compatibility problems. It didn't open several docx files, others could be opened but had formatting losses / missing elements, when I created documents and saved them as docx, they looked completely different when reopneing them with MS Office, I had problems with password protected files, Excel tables were 70% messed up somehow, and such more.

None of these problems occur with my SoftMaker Office. The bad interoperability was the main reason for me leaving LO, and now I'm happy I did it and found SoftMaker Office, because it has several more merits. But if you're confident with LO that's fine, I was just telling my experiences.

Agreed - we have some people trying to use LibreOffice, and on anything more than a standard Word/Excel doc/docx, the formatting gets completely screwed up. The main text is still fine, but it just looks terrible.

i just hope they won't... you should see how bad office on mac is... then you will regret to have it.

Libreoffice works reasonably well for most people's basic needs but it does have the tendency to screw up formatting a bit, it did it to me with a word document.

i just hope they won't... you should see how bad office on mac is... then you will regret to have it.

The weird thing is that's true. I thought after first using it that mac office was much better than windows office... Then I encountered the bugs with mac office... Oh dear that program really is pure garbage :(

This rumor may turn out to be true but I just don't see what Microsoft would get out of releasing Office for Linux. The market share just isn't there. I can't see it being worth their time. Now a version for Android and iOS would be a completely different story.