(Honest) Personal thoughts about windows 8 and MS in general

Isn't the launch pad on new osx essentially a "tablet ui" on the desktop? Microsoft did exactly what you said they should do - took the live tiles and put them in Windows. They need to refine it obviously but I still fail to understand why you think Windows 8 is a touch only UI. The criticism of Windows 8 puzzles me, some people say it is forcing a touch UI, some say it has a "jarring" or "hostile" UI.

I personally believe it is a good compromise from both sides (desktop & tablet) and allows you to use whatever suites the device it is running on. It is not perfect but it is not a disaster either.

You are right. Launch pad is a tablet ui and you have also helped make my point. Launch Pad is basically iOS style launcher of your apps.

here's where the difference comes in, first up OSX is still geared toward desktop users first. With some nice features implemented from the iOS/tablet style ui.

now the key difference is, none of this is shoved down your throat. They didn't go out and change key aspects of their desktop OS, they added and implemented touchscreen/iOS ui elements. Which you aren't forced to use, unless you want to use them.

Gradually adding and changing the ui, instead of a complete overhaul like M$ did. There is just things M$ did that bugged me to much on windows 8.

the start screen is annoying, the fact there is 2 different control panels/settings screens. the original control panel and then the touch version of settings menu.

Its like they dumped a top level touch element on top of a desktop OS. kind of reminds me of windows phone 6/6.5. on the top level its kinda touch friendly but as you dig deeper it becomes less and less touch friendly. People will argue well it is desktop OS it doesn't need to be fully touch friendly. In that case it shouldnt be touch friendly at all, keep the touch friendly crap for touch devices and the desktop friendly crap for desktops. Don't implement both styles half assed and tell us to suck it up.

You are right. Launch pad is a tablet ui and you have also helped make my point. Launch Pad is basically iOS style launcher of your apps.

here's where the difference comes in, first up OSX is still geared toward desktop users first. With some nice features implemented from the iOS/tablet style ui.

now the key difference is, none of this is shoved down your throat. They didn't go out and change key aspects of their desktop OS, they added and implemented touchscreen/iOS ui elements. Which you aren't forced to use, unless you want to use them.

Gradually adding and changing the ui, instead of a complete overhaul like M$ did. There is just things M$ did that bugged me to much on windows 8.

the start screen is annoying, the fact there is 2 different control panels/settings screens. the original control panel and then the touch version of settings menu.

Its like they dumped a top level touch element on top of a desktop OS. kind of reminds me of windows phone 6/6.5. on the top level its kinda touch friendly but as you dig deeper it becomes less and less touch friendly. People will argue well it is desktop OS it doesn't need to be fully touch friendly. In that case it shouldnt be touch friendly at all, keep the touch friendly crap for touch devices and the desktop friendly crap for desktops. Don't implement both styles half assed and tell us to suck it up.

I completely agree with the control panel part and it seems Microsoft is working towards fixing at least some of that in 8.1 We can always say it should have been in 8 but they must have had their reasons (time, market pressure etc.).

The fact is, the control panel is in a serious mess starting from Windows Vista. They started with the nice category view but the fastest way of finding some settings is still searching after 3 iterations in Windows 8. I can't remember one setting that is not exactly obscure but I found it easier to search for it instead of digging down the categories (which I prefer because it is mostly a logical breadcrumb from top).

I completely agree with the control panel part and it seems Microsoft is working towards fixing at least some of that in 8.1 We can always say it should have been in 8 but they must have had their reasons (time, market pressure etc.).

The fact is, the control panel is in a serious mess starting from Windows Vista. They started with the nice category view but the fastest way of finding some settings is still searching after 3 iterations in Windows 8. I can't remember one setting that is not exactly obscure but I found it easier to search for it instead of digging down the categories (which I prefer because it is mostly a logical breadcrumb from top).

That is what MS stated they wanted you to do when Vista first released. Hence the point of pressing start key and typing what you are looking for. Which is technically faster than Xp's UI anyway.

*Winkey, type "mouse" and bam you are there. *Winkey, type "remote" and bam you see all related options...So no I don't think CP is a mess since Vista, it's obsolete and unnecessary.

I haven't used the CP UI since. if I need a setting I just search for it. Although CP shouldn't be something you have to access very often.

soft traditional pc sales = Microsoft went with the right strategy,no two ways about it. If they didn't move this quickly, things would be much worse in the pc industry. people would be belittling Microsoft even more for not 'doing anything'. People are shifting to touch and slim devices because they offer everything they need in a computing device. Microsoft has an advantage because they have office,and most of these devices are backwards compatible with the millions and millions of windows applications,so its not like you're switching cold turkey.

People can bitch and moan about CAD,video editing,photoshop not working with touch all they want,but Microsoft wants to sell to the majority of consumers who couldn't give two flutes about these kinds of things.

And they didn't even remove the desktop so most of this whining is unjustified. People are taking out their anger on Microsoft because of the direction the market is going, which is not the doing of Microsoft. In fact,these people should be praising Microsoft for holding out this long. What would you like better? Microsoft adding touch capabilities to windows, and dragging support for desktop applications with it for a long time, OR not doing anything and letting the traditional PC die(which is happening),which in turn will mean the death of the desktop anyways.

Agreed....since Launchpad was introduced, I have only seen it about a dozen times. I have seen the start screen more than 10 times that amount in only a few months :p Without Start 8 or something similar, it is forced on me.

Microsoft's stupid mistakes

1. Using full Windows on SurfaceRT.

2. Not using Windows Phone OS on SurfaceRT.

3. Surface Pro existing.

5. Designing Windows 8 around tablets.

6. Naming it's mobile OS Windows Phone.

7. Not keeping the start button to launch the tile interface

8. Disappearing taskbar and charms bar that should be integrated into the tile interface.

I don't have a problem with the tile interface but the integration with the desktop and the launch corners using a mouse are awful. This is what they get for trying to force full Windows into a tablet OS instead of using Windows Phone which was designed for it from the start.