Counter Strike is a GO on Linux

featured_600x224_counterstrike_globaloffensive.jpg

Game Developer Valve would be busy testing ?Counter-Strike: Global Offensive? on Linux systems. A release of the tactical online shooter for gamers with a Linux PC does not seem far away.

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive came in August last year for Windows, OS X, PlayStation 3 and Xbox Live Arcade. The online fps includes the new Arsenal Game Mode and some fresh maps. Also, Molotov cocktails and grenades launched decoy.

To improve driver performance both Nvidia and AMD are using a beta version of the game on Linux.

Source:

Guess I can delete my windows partition on my gaming box lol sadly I have 2x gtx 680s but only play CSGO

You could probably sell one of them, ya know. :laugh:

This is good and all, but all of these games are still based on the same engine. When something non-Source ends up on Steam on Linux, I'll be impressed.

As it stands now, the only reason I stay with Windows over linux is gaming. Granted I only play WoW and D3 (both of which I do believe will run under linux with Wine/other emulators).

Once we start seeing more games running under linux natively (which is as easy as not using DX and using open libraries) I can see it taking off. I mean.. Android is linux based and it's got games like GTA 3, 4 Order and Chaos and a tonne more great games.

There is less and less reason for games not to work under linux.

• Like 3

As it stands now, the only reason I stay with Windows over linux is gaming. Granted I only play WoW and D3 (both of which I do believe will run under linux with Wine/other emulators).

Once we start seeing more games running under linux natively (which is as easy as not using DX and using open libraries) I can see it taking off. I mean.. Android is linux based and it's got games like GTA 3, 4 Order and Chaos and a tonne more great games.

There is less and less reason for games not to work under linux.

Good Point :)

Half Life 3, temporary exclusive on linux... PFFFF..... (Just imagine if this were true)

I did a thread on that and honest to god I thought it was real, when really it was a hoax.

I did a thread on that and honest to god I thought it was real, when really it was a hoax.

as much as I want gaming on Linux, I think Gabe stupid enough to do that..

When is the last time you went to the eye doctor?

uncalled for.. If Linux takes off like Gabe is hoping.. it will do some impact. Gabe, while is insane.. holds a lot of control

I hope that will happen, so Valve will lose money on marketing alone.

Do you know how I call this? Pure Envy.

What I'm so envious about, by being realistic?

Meh... I would gladly move from windows to linux if gaming were there, I'm tired of how MS wants to treat technology. I'm seeing finally the first steps for it, good games and finally AMD and NVidia offering support for it, little by little I think games will move to a platform like linux.

From a layman in comparison to other Linux users, I would still say that even if Linux seems to be breaking down barriers to entry for gaming, it's still just a pipe dream. With every barrier that comes down, there are more that go up. The frustration I've last had over Wine is reason enough to stay away for another 5 years. It's that immature and I fear it will never develop on par with Windows.

Meh... I would gladly move from windows to linux if gaming were there, I'm tired of how MS wants to treat technology. I'm seeing finally the first steps for it, good games and finally AMD and NVidia offering support for it, little by little I think games will move to a platform like linux.

Thing is, many developers COULD be writing linux games. As I mentioned before plenty of Devs write for non-windows (Android, PSx, iOS, Nintendos various game consoles).

I think the biggest issue came down to the fact the linux was so open, but now with the cross platform libraries (SDL, OPENGL/GLES, etc) there is nothing stopping them. I am not a linux fanboy by any means, but eventually Windows 7 won't be supported and it will be nice to have the no-brainer style option of going to linux full time.