Windows 8 Slowdown

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#16 OP Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 April 2013 - 00:02

What AV / FW are you running ?

Check in Task Manager > Performance > Resource Monitor and see if any one thing is sky high under load

Run a RAM test too

I'm using what comes stock in Win8. But I think I'm about done with Win8 now. Only thing is, all I have to go back to is WinXP now and Steam is dropping support for XP and so is Microsoft. So I guess I'm done.

#17 Eric

Eric

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 12

Posted 12 April 2013 - 00:03

Nothing, have you checked the Reliability Monitor and see if anything is showing up there? You can find it with search with "reliability" as the search term. It's under Settings.

#18 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 12 April 2013 - 00:05

I'd do a sector scan with spinrite.

#19 OP Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 April 2013 - 00:22

I can't afford Spinrite. I don't know if there's a free version or not.

Reliability Monitor:

Attached Images

• Untitled.jpg

#20 Eric

Eric

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 April 2013 - 00:24

It looks like something happened there on the 4th. What does it say the error mark is for? And is that about when you started noticing the problem?

If a SMART utility said the drive was ok then it's probably not that. The data values you posted earlier looked ok to me.

#21 Ice_Blue

Ice_Blue

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia N8 Belle

Posted 12 April 2013 - 00:27

I'm using what comes stock in Win8. But I think about done with Win8 now. Only thing is, all I have to go back to is WinXP now and Steam is dropping support for XP and so is Microsoft. So I guess I'm done.

I have reservations about saying this, but:
You have been using Win 8 for a while now, obviously. It's been working fine this far.
There are myriad random things that can screw up an installation.

Try a restore point, if you have one.
If all else fails, why not consider a refresh or, if that doesn't work, a reset.

Instead of spending a lot of time pulling your hair out, use the built-in tools to revert your system to a usable one.
This will probably save you a lot of time.

Personally, I would do an image of the drive once you have your system back to where it was before the problems started.
This is what I have been doing for years now, and it has saved me a lot of time and grief.

Although I love troubleshooting, since if successful it would enable you deal quickly with the problem if it recurs, there comes a point when you have to ask yourself what is the quickest and most efficient way out of the situation.

#22 OP Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 April 2013 - 00:41

It looks like something happened there on the 4th. What does it say the error mark is for? And is that about when you started noticing the problem?

If a SMART utility said the drive was ok then it's probably not that. The data values you posted earlier looked ok to me.

The problem started on the 8th. But here's what it says for the 4th:

Description
Faulting application name: wwahost.exe, version: 6.2.9200.16384, time stamp: 0x50107c6e
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.2.9200.16384, time stamp: 0x5010acd2
Exception code: 0x060c201e
Fault offset: 0x00000000000b79d0
Faulting process id: 0x9b0
Faulting application start time: 0x01ce315d720360db
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\system32\wwahost.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: afcf929a-9d50-11e2-be6e-c8600014d3da
Faulting package full name: microsoft.microsoftskydrive_16.4.4388.928_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: Microsoft.MicrosoftSkyDrive

I have reservations about saying this, but:
You have been using Win 8 for a while now, obviously. It's been working fine this far.
There are myriad random things that can screw up an installation.

Try a restore point, if you have one.
If all else fails, why not consider a refresh or, if that doesn't work, a reset.

Instead of spending a lot of time pulling your hair out, use the built-in tools to revert your system to a usable one.
This will probably save you a lot of time.

Personally, I would do an image of the drive once you have your system back to where it was before the problems started.
This is what I have been doing for years now, and it has saved me a lot of time and grief.

Although I love troubleshooting, since if successful it would enable you deal quickly with the problem if it recurs, there comes a point when you have to ask yourself what is the quickest and most efficient way out of the situation.

I know your right. I was just hoping not to have to do that.

#23 Eric

Eric

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 April 2013 - 00:47

That's probably not what's causing your problem but you could always try removing the SkyDrive app and reinstall it from the Store. Give me a bit to think and I'll see if I can come up with anything else.

(WWAhost manages retrieving web data for apps AFAIK and if something got screwed up it could conceivably be causing system-wide problems.)

#24 PUC_Snakeman

PUC_Snakeman

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 12 April 2013 - 00:52

Look very closely at Resource Monitor (get to it from Task Manager -> Performance tab -> Open Resource Monitor (at the bottom).
Look at all of the tabs in Resource Monitor, very carefully, to see if any process is consuming large amounts of a single resource. Sort by columns you deem relevant.

Part of troubleshooting is not giving up.

#25 OP Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 April 2013 - 00:54

Look very closely at Resource Monitor (get to it from Task Manager -> Performance tab -> Open Resource Monitor (at the bottom).
Look at all of the tabs in Resource Monitor, very carefully, to see if any process is consuming large amounts of a single resource. Sort by columns you deem relevant.

Part of troubleshooting is not giving up.

Done that already. Everything is fine.

#26 SadJoker

SadJoker

Resident yogi

• Phone: Galaxy S4

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:24

System Idle Process is always using 97% CPU. But other then that, everything looks fine.

I don't think this is normal. At idle, with AVG, Spybot and Rainmeter running, my total CPU usage hovers around 1% - 5%.

#27 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:35

Its very possible an update is causing problems, you had a few on the 4th where your trouble seems to have begun

System restore back to the 3rd and install one update at a time

#28 OP Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:35

I don't know what it should be at. But my system shouldn't be idling 24/7. Just when I'm not on it.

#29 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:40

I don't know what it should be at. But my system shouldn't be idling 24/7. Just when I'm not on it.

System Idle process means exactly that, how much of the system is idle (doing nothing) so the higher the % of idle process, the better

My system uses 0% CPU when idle, as it should

Posted Image

When you start using the PC, things that make it work like games, opening programs, playing videos, then that idle process will be become lower as it distributes % to other processes

#30 OP Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:11

Thanx Detection.

Now, why is this running? It usually only runs when I insert a thumb drive and I don't have one inserted.

Attached Images

• Untitled.jpg