windows backup vs 3rd party?

Question

11 answers to this question

Not answering your question but all you need as a backup tool is Robocopy and it comes with Windows.

My backup routine usually looks like robocopy c:\source d:\destination /mir /sec /r:0 /w:0

/mir will mirror to the destination so after the first full backup it will only transfer the changes. This paired is Task Scheduler is pretty much all anyone needs.

From my experience the included Windows backup program isn't the greatest. I have used it a few times and I never seem to know whether it is actually working, if there were any errors, etc. I like CrashPlan (www.crashplan.com). They are an online backup company, but their software works for free if you just want to backup to an external hard drive. You can even back up to another computer (on-site or off-site) for free as well.

All I want to accomplish is a good backup and restore. I've never restored, so I really don't know much about it. This is for system backup.

Hello,

Third party tools might support additional types of media and stores backups in different file formats.

There are really quite a variety of means in which you can back up a system, and each has its own set of advantages and disadvantages.

One thing you might find useful to read is a white paper I wrote on local (as opposed to cloud) backup methods: Options for backing up your computer. It does not name or recommend any products, but instead is meant to provide a detailed enough overview of the technologies so you can determine which one(s) best meet your needs.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I like the "About Aryeh" part at the bottom referencing Neowin :)

I personally like Robocopy as a backup solution as I have no need for "versioned" files (I don't care about restoring older versions of the file than my most recent backup). I tend to use the 7zip CLI libraries for versioned backups >.<

I know a lot of people that use Windows backup quite happily. I know a lot of people that use third party tools also. I think you just need to define what you NEED out of a backup tool, and go from there >.<

That whitepaper is well worth a read for the geeks among us to >.<

I've always preferred 3rd party apps, but even more so now because Windows 8 has largely crippled Windows Backup (now File History). AFAIK, it now only backs up files in the libraries folders with no possibility for imaging the entire partition / disk.

I've always preferred 3rd party apps, but even more so now because Windows 8 has largely crippled Windows Backup (now File History). AFAIK, it now only backs up files in the libraries folders with no possibility for imaging the entire partition / disk.

Goto Windows 8 File History from Metro start screen, then click on at the bottom left Windows 7 File recovery, Setup backup there (exactly like Windows 7) and can do System Image, or Just library backup like File History Does. Don't know if that will remain in there when Windows Blue or 8.1 whatever they decide to call it on final release though. I have used Windows backup since it was available in Vista myself here, restored a few files off and on--works pretty well for my needs

Looks more like user doesn't know where the tools are than them not being there ;)