Need for Speed: Underground reboot rumoured

raQtiAX.jpg

EA studio Criterion Games is rumoured to be working on a Need for Speed: Underground reboot.

EGM was the sent the logo pictured by an anonymous source who indicated that it was part of the title's box art for the Xbox 360 version of the game.

EGM's source also claimed the new game will be take place in a rebooted, original Bayview setting rather than Underground 2's.

The site says it has heard other talk of a Criterion-developed Underground game which would return the series to the street racing, car tuning scenes visited in earlier titles.

The site points out that the LinkedIn profiles of several Criterion employees mention work on an unannounced racing title expected to be released in 2013. The UK-based studio previously rebooted Need for Speed Hot Pursuit and Most Wanted.

EA chose not to comment on the report.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/400713/need-for-speed-underground-reboot-rumoured/

I don't know. They should of gave a clear story and more excitement to Most Wanted, I really hope they provide the next NFS to be more custom to suit your style when racing, just like the original NFSU.

Yes! Need for Speed: Underground is my favourite NFS game. Underground 2 and Most Wanted were great too but I still missed the night time racing, customization options, and the music.

Does anyone remember the "Show your car" threads on Neowin? :D

EDIT: Found it: http://www.neowin.ne...show-your-cars/

81 pages from November 2003 to June 2004. :|

And the thread for NFS:U 2: https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/242353-nfsu2-post-your-cars-v2/

The only series EA will get my money on, considering they get the message that they need to step up..

I loved NFS Underground and had fond memories playing on PC with a Radeon 9600SE.

Cool, I was very happy with Criterion's efforts on Hot Pursuit and Most Wanted (Y) so very much look forward to this! :happy: should it hold true that is.

The only series EA will get my money on, considering they get the message that they need to step up..

I loved NFS Underground and had fond memories playing on PC with a Radeon 9600SE.

I remember buying the PS2 version and wanting to get the PC version because of how nice the screenshots looked. The PS2 version lacked anti-aliasing so I found myself playing the PC demo for the eye candy. I eventually beat the PS2 version but I made sure to get NFS: Underground 2 on PC.

I was so envious of people that had the Radeon X800 series video cards. At the time, I had a lowly GeForce FX 5600.

Good. These where my favorite series. Nothing beats NSF III though.. NOTHING! :)

The original Hot Pursuit (NFS 3) on the PlayStation 1 was awesome.

Sweeeeet!!! That would be sooo cool. Those were my fav NFS games.

Need For Speed is pretty much all I play, on anything.

Currently playing NFS Most Wanted on my Nexus 4. Prenominal graphics and gameplay.

I remember buying the PS2 version and wanting to get the PC version because of how nice the screenshots looked. The PS2 version lacked anti-aliasing so I found myself playing the PC demo for the eye candy. I eventually beat the PS2 version but I made sure to get NFS: Underground 2 on PC.

I was so envious of people that had the Radeon X800 series video cards. At the time, I had a lowly GeForce FX 5600.

When I played it on PC I was blown away by the graphics, I wasn't sensitized to games that looked so good before and was in awe everytime I played it. I lost most of my races in the beginning because of how distracting everything was with the reflections and atmosphere

The X800 Radeons with Conroe (C2D) allowed for really good frames on Most Wanted

And who could forget about Samantha from Underground?

z8Iz9wG.gif

How far we've come..

When I played it on PC I was blown away by the graphics, I wasn't sensitized to games that looked so good before and was in awe everytime I played it. I lost most of my races in the beginning because of how distracting everything was with the reflections and atmosphere

The X800 Radeons with Conroe (C2D) allowed for really good frames on Most Wanted

And who could forget about Samantha from Underground?

z8Iz9wG.gif

How far we've come..

The nostalgia is intoxicating. I, too, was sensitive to PC graphics at the time. I went from being a PC gamer from 1999 to 2001 and a console gamer from 2001 to 2006. I got a taste of PC gaming again with the release of Need for Speed: Underground in 2003.

NFS: Underground was the first game that I enabled anti-aliasing in and it made the graphics look much better. Now that I thought of it, I really miss 2003 to 2007. I had a lot of fun playing games like NFS: U2, NFS: Most Wanted, various Star Trek games, Half-Life 2, and more that I can't remember right now.

I hope Criterion Games can recapture some of the magic from the original NFS: Underground. If the reviews are good, then it'll be a guaranteed buy.

I never played the full game but I remember this awesome song in NFS Underground demo. :D

I played and finished NFS U2 though. Awesome game and has great OST.

Although the "underground" part looks like some graphic font instead of an actual logo - repeating letters have the same style - so I'll have my doubts.

Exactly. Not a chance of it being real; why would they use a font containing real-world landmarks?

If this is true I hope Criterion does a better job this time around. Cause Most Wanted just felt like a prettier but much(MUCH) less fun version of burnout paradise which made it pretty crappy.

• Like 1

I just hope they bring back the customizations like in the original NFS Underground games.

Those were the game, adding stereo equipment/speakers in the trunk, neon lights, hydraulics, etc. etc.

Without all that, it's just another racing game.

• Like 1

They will. In 2015-16, right after Shift 3 :laugh:

Carbon was a pretty crap (like, uninspired) game, though. Except if you mean muscle cars with their extremely boat-like handling that all too often made me lose races and get busted, but was hell of a fun to drive and powerslide around corners. Also, chop the roof just a little, chrome-paint classic-looking rims, yep, they need to bring that back.

They will. In 2015-16, right after Shift 3 :laugh:

Carbon was a pretty crap (like, uninspired) game, though. Except if you mean muscle cars with their extremely boat-like handling that all too often made me lose races and get busted, but was hell of a fun to drive and powerslide around corners. Also, chop the roof just a little, chrome-paint classic-looking rims, yep, they need to bring that back.

I can totally relate with the muscle cars, my favorite was my custom HEMI CUDA and it was only great for drifting, I really did score a million with it! :D The best car to go with in long races are the Corvette and cars like the Audi in Canyons, obviously.

They need to bring more excitement into those kinds of games. We need a game that can be so street, but so pro at the same time! Not like Pro Street, holy crap, how did I get there?

I kinda wish Criterion was willing to try something different instead of just remaking old properties. Maybe in PS4 land and beyond that they'll feel comfortable doing it...we'll see.

Remake after remake after remake gets a little tiresome. Even endless sequels can be better than that.