16 posts in this topic

Posted

How to reset a forgotten Windows 8 account password

If you buy a computer or are working a computer with windows 8 you might find it harder to do simple tasks because of the UEFI. Today I got a computer in my office where all off the sudden he could not log onto his Windows 8 account, he must have somehow changed the windows 8 logon password and had no idea what the new password was.

Because of the UEFI bios, a lot of the bootable utilities I would use to reset the password couldn

12 people like this

Posted

Excellent. Should be stickied (Y)
2 people like this

Posted

Easiest thing to do would be to change it using another machine, and going to live.com

Posted

[quote name='Dot Matrix' timestamp='1365789832' post='595633424']
Easiest thing to do would be to change it using another machine, and going to live.com
[/quote]
Although I agree, There are circumstances like: no Internet connection, and/or the account being a local one not a Microsoft's, which makes this method the only one available...

Posted

You can change anyone's password only knowing their username?? Seems like a security flaw to me :| Of course you need physical access and a DVD/USB but that's not hard.

Posted

You can change anyone's password only knowing their username?? Seems like a security flaw to me :| Of course you need physical access and a DVD/USB but that's not hard.

You should see how easy it is on previous version of windows using a password reset CD. Takes about 30 seconds to nuke anyone password.

1 person likes this

Posted

Just out of curiosity, does anybody know if the Linux program chntpw works on Windows 8?  I've used it on my Ubuntu computer to change Windows passwords on XP, Vista, and 7, but haven't had a need to try it on Windows 8 yet.

Posted

I use KonBoot, then you don't need to reset password.

http://www.piotrbania.com/all/kon-boot/

You also get access to CMD prompt from login page without editing files.
1 person likes this

Posted

2nd the sticky!!! Thank you warwagon!!!

Posted

Great ProTip Warwagon

In the past, Konboot, or Lazesoft's PW Reset, NT Offline, even Ophcrack made Windows passwords easy to get past.

One question:

Since most people log into their Win8 machine via an online-type account - does this still get them access to that account, or does it boot them in some type of dummy account ?

Basically, when the PW is reset, then they log in, is it the exact same environmnet (user account) as before ?

Posted

Great ProTip Warwagon

In the past, Konboot, or Lazesoft's PW Reset, NT Offline, even Ophcrack made Windows passwords easy to get past.

One question:

Since most people log into their Win8 machine via an online-type account - does this still get them access to that account, or does it boot them in some type of dummy account ?

Basically, when the PW is reset, then they log in, is it the exact same environmnet (user account) as before ?

it just resets the "microsoft" account logon status to a "local account" the last time i used this method I was unable to logon to the system and could only create a new local account to carry out repairs via the MDOP msdart tools. the system was set up with encryption and a TPM chip so the outcome might be different for different setups

1 person likes this

Posted

it just resets the "microsoft" account logon status to a "local account" the last time i used this method I was unable to logon to the system and could only create a new local account to carry out repairs via the MDOP msdart tools. the system was set up with encryption and a TPM chip so the outcome might be different for different setups

OK, I was kinda thinking things would be different since the logon process is completely different than ones in previous OS - I havent messed with 8.1 personally, and know nothing - I still help friends with their computer problems, but I will be out of a hobby soon since I dont have any modern Kung foo- need to go back to playing golf -

Posted

Isn't this super lax on security? I mean, I used Windows 8.1 for the longest time. My question is, if you use a "live" account, does it change that password?

All my accounts are inter-linked. My XBOX Live PW was the same as my Windows 8.1, same with my OneDrive, and anything Microsoft related.

Excellent find, I agree, sticky it please!

Posted

Doesn't work for online accounts, must be a local user.

1 person likes this

Posted

Does Trinity RK work anymore?

Posted

Isn't this super lax on security? I mean, I used Windows 8.1 for the longest time. My question is, if you use a "live" account, does it change that password?

All my accounts are inter-linked. My XBOX Live PW was the same as my Windows 8.1, same with my OneDrive, and anything Microsoft related.

Excellent find, I agree, sticky it please!

no in order to change those you would need to goto the account area of your account on the device or on the web and change it there, those password cracking apps only have the ability to crack the .SAM database files. what i did find strange, is that when you create an account with a microsoft login and then try to login to that account with no internet, you can still log into the account localy.

i dont know if this is a bug, so perhaps the microsoft account password is being stored in the .SAM database for "local access" if that is the case then its a huge security issue as .SAM files can be cracked which would then give the attacker access to the microsoft account.