Force connection redirect for image uploader

I use localhostr to host my images for things like screenshots etc, I use their uploader client which is nice and quick to drag an image into then click to copy the url for posting

They have recently changed their domain name and the IP of the site changed too so now the uploader client can't connect to the server

There is another uploader in the works apparently, but until then I was wondering if I can force the uploader to connect to the new IP?

I've tried doing it in HOSTS file but connections show it is still trying to connect to the old IP

They have redirected the old URL to point to the new one, but it only seems to work for loading their site in a browser, pings still reach the old IP if you ping the old URL

Old IP is 95.211.187.130

New IP is 95.211.187.139

There are only .dlls in the install folder so can't change any config files that I can see

Any ideas ?

If they are hard coding the IP in the client there is not much you can do.

But when you say if you ping the url your getting the OLD, tells me your host file is not working - what is the FQDN your trying to use something.what.tld ?

Once you change your host file - and you flush your dns cache, and then you ping the fqdn you should be getting back the IP you put in your host file - if your not, your doing it wrong.

If the client is bypassing your cache and looking to your dns or some other dns directly then it would be possible for you to either run your own local dns and over ride whatever they are looking for and put in your own IP.

If they were going to some outside dns, you could intercept this traffic at your firewall and point it to your own dns.

you sure the fqdn your using is just not a cname for something else, if so then you would have to create host entries for that cname as well, etc.

The old one is localhostr.com the new one is hostr.co

I forgot to flush the DNS cache which could have been the problem

Its not so important any more as the guy emailed me back saying the new client would be here in a few days

I tried following a simple guide for doing it in DD-WRT by just adding address=/www.your_site.com/ip_address in Additional DNSMasq Options but that failed too, wouldn't even redirect a website, I tried testing it by redirecting youtube to google but all it did was make youtube hang for a while but still loaded in the end

Networking isn't my strong point when it goes into understanding the inner workings of it and what looks to who for where to go next if this happens or doesn't happen :)

so heres the thing I only show A record, so cname was not involved.

Where you can have another issues is if this is web based, and that host is looking for your host headers of say hostr.co and your still sending localhostr.com even though your going to the new IP of hostr.co -- it might not work.. Because that web server is going to say, sorry no site by that name.

I don't know the inner workings of the client, but since you say its browser based - it would be a good bet that host headers of the site are involved. You could do a sniff of your traffic when you try and send an image and see the traffic - unless its https? Then you got another issue with CN not matching on the Cert, etc. and that could cause it to bomb as well.

Best bet is prob just wait til new client put out.. So do you use it for storing shots here on neowin? If so curious why you don't just upload to neowin directly? Most images I post I upload to neowin - don't see the point of other hosting site for the images.

so heres the thing I only show A record, so cname was not involved.

Where you can have another issues is if this is web based, and that host is looking for your host headers of say hostr.co and your still sending localhostr.com even though your going to the new IP of hostr.co -- it might not work.. Because that web server is going to say, sorry no site by that name.

I don't know the inner workings of the client, but since you say its browser based - it would be a good bet that host headers of the site are involved. You could do a sniff of your traffic when you try and send an image and see the traffic - unless its https? Then you got another issue with CN not matching on the Cert, etc. and that could cause it to bomb as well.

Best bet is prob just wait til new client put out.. So do you use it for storing shots here on neowin? If so curious why you don't just upload to neowin directly? Most images I post I upload to neowin - don't see the point of other hosting site for the images.

Actually the client is not browser based sorry, its a standalone app that I log into my localhostr account with and just drag my images into that, which upload and give me a link instantly, just the fastest way I've found for posting images, not just here, but all over the place

They do have a browser based uploader too which Im using atm

I found the client was looking for the old IP and old URL by watching resource monitor when it was trying to connect, it makes 2 attempts, one to the old URL and one to the old IP, and using the hosts file made no difference to its connection attempts

I've never even looked into using Neowin to host them, might do that until the new client arrives, thanks :)

I find uploading to neowin pretty simple, I just take my screen - annotate as needed, save it local - then upload it via the post form.

I like to use pictures when possible, since makes it easier for someone to understand something if they can see a picture. So some of my posts have 3 or 4 images sometimes.

I like them stored on neowin, because of the thing mentioned with services deleting or maybe having issues, or even going out of business.. If stored with neowin, if they are down doesnt matter :) If something happens prob loose the whole post not just pictures, etc. Which with outside service you never know what could happen.

If pictures are missing from a post - sometimes the post is just a lot of gibberish ;)

Only time I find myself using a service is when the forum does not provide image and have to use url - this is so rare that I don't use a common service. I have used imgur in the past, imageshack, etc.

Yea good point, if localhostr had disappeared for good, 95% of my images would be missing from Neowin

I generally use the snipping tool to grab a shot of some windows setting or other, use the snipping tool pen to draw over the image pointing whatever out, then save and throw into the uploader, I used to use imageshacks uploader but something went wrong with it, either people couldn't see my images in certain countries, or the uploading took forever or failed, they used to have a FF toolbar uploader too but it was crashing FF every few seconds, tried a few different ones until I found localhostr and stuck with that :)

"either people couldn't see my images"

This good reason to just upload to where your posting - if they can see your posts, your fairly sure they can read images off that same site ;) But you never know with some other imaging services. Or what if your image sees too much traffic because of hot thread or something, and then they block it, etc.

I just really don't see the point of those services if the place your posting allows you to upload your images directly.

One good reason to use an image hosting service is how much content you have. I use Imgur as I have around 5,000 images sitting on Neowin. Many of them hi-res and gifs at 5mb. Imgur also has an extension for firefox where you can just right-click an image and send to Imgur. No need to save it local. See below.

axzRVnq.jpg

True - but I am not posting babes, hires images or anything like that, just very small screenies of stuff on the computer to help my fellow neowin with their issues. But sure if I was posting the babe of the day type stuff or large images that exceeded the size restrictions, etc.

Depends on what your posting. The image sites have a very legit use, and for somethings they just make sense -- look at imgur and reddit for example :) Talk about a symbiotic relationship..

One good reason to use an image hosting service is how much content you have. I use Imgur as I have around 5,000 images sitting on Neowin. Many of them hi-res and gifs at 5mb. Imgur also has an extension for firefox where you can just right-click an image and send to Imgur. No need to save it local. See below.

axzRVnq.jpg

Yea I use that imgur extension for firefox for grabbing pictures from other sites rather than hotlinking them for say things like giveaways and I want a picture of the product in the thread

True - but I am not posting babes, hires images or anything like that, just very small screenies of stuff on the computer to help my fellow neowin with their issues. But sure if I was posting the babe of the day type stuff or large images that exceeded the size restrictions, etc.

Depends on what your posting. The image sites have a very legit use, and for somethings they just make sense -- look at imgur and reddit for example :) Talk about a symbiotic relationship..

What do you use for those swanky looking arrows you use in your guides ?

What do you use for those swanky looking arrows you use in your guides ?

I use http://www.faststone...ptureDetail.htm - been using it way back when it was free. It has many nice editing features, I find myself using it to simple image manipulation on other images all the time, resize, crop, etc.

And yes you can add arrows and such to your screenies - plus way way more stuff that I rarely use. I also has a capture scrolling window feature that is nice for the long web ui, etc.

it does have some auto uploading features, if you had webspace you could leverage for your type of image service, etc.

I use http://www.faststone...ptureDetail.htm - been using it way back when it was free. It has many nice editing features, I find myself using it to simple image manipulation on other images all the time, resize, crop, etc.

And yes you can add arrows and such to your screenies - plus way way more stuff that I rarely use. I also has a capture scrolling window feature that is nice for the long web ui, etc.

it does have some auto uploading features, if you had webspace you could leverage for your type of image service, etc.

Ah nice, thanks :)