Review: Zerolemon 7000mAh Galaxy S3 Extended Battery w/ TPU Case

For all Images please Click on Link Below:

http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B00AKZWGAC

I just received this battery and case today, so this review will get updated after I complete everything... may take about a month if I'm lucky :)

First I will explain the battery. This thing is huge. It takes up almost the whole back area on the phone. It was packaged nicely and included 3 different papers with the installation/charging instructions. ( though all instructions are the same, they just make sure you see them )

Installing the battery is simple, though scary. With it being so huge and with how it is held to the phone, you will feel like you might break something putting this battery in. There isn't anything special to do except push hard until you hear it snap in. It's held securely due to its sheer size. But once it is in, there is no fear of it just slipping out. Once in, you will notice how much heavier the phone is. This battery alone weighs about 20 grams. So while it is heavier, it isn't anything that is too heavy. It actually makes the phone feel sturdier due to the added weight. Though I must stress, this is just a "feel" and doesn't actually do anything that makes it stronger. :p

Second I'll touch on the case. Mine came with the Black case. I chose this due to black being better at hiding dirt. The case is a TPU case. This is what will substitute for your normal "back plate" that phones have. Once you have installed the battery, you just slip this case right on. It fits very well around the whole phone. There are no lose ends or wiggle room with the case. The button covers fit perfectly and respond to presses easily. The case even leaves a little bulge around the screen, so that you can lay it down flat without worries of the screen getting scratched. And the back portion around the camera lens is actually really well done. No worries about there being reflections or other types of issues due to the case being in the way of either the flash or camera lens. All holes are aligned correctly for mic ports, charging/micro usb, and speaker/camera ports. It is actually a pretty damn perfect case.

With the battery and case on, the phone is roughly a 1/2 inch think. This is a huge increase from what the phone originally is, but I like it. The phone now feels sturdier.

Now I can't put into any detail yet about the life of the battery, as I am still in the "charging" process. It came with 58% charge on it, and the instructions say to let it charge for 12 hours roughly on the 1st initial charge, so that you can be sure it is fully charged. Once that is done, I have to run it down to around 2% and then repeat the charging process. I believe each charge will take roughly 8-12 hours. On my regular stock 2300mAh battery, the longest I was able to go was about 53 hours before I needed to charge. I'm hoping I can break a week on this bad boy with my minimal use, and expect at least 2 full days with heavy use. But as I mentioned, I will update this post in the coming weeks to let you know exactly what kind of usage I'm getting out of this.

Update - Still haven't charged this battery since the first initial charge. I took it off the charger roughly around 3am Saturday 4/13/13. As of right now, I am at what it says to be 23% ( this could be off due to the phone not knowing the true limits of the battery ) but I am very impressed.

From the pictures, you can see just how long it has lasted so far. 2D 11H 41M without a charge, and over 8 hours of the screen being on at max brightness.

The first day, I really tried to kill this battery. I probably logged about 5 hours of screen time. I was using youtube, netflix, hulu, games, and browsing the internet as much as I could. By the end of the day, at least for what I can do, I was unable to kill this beast. So I figured I would just ride it out.

Sunday I had a family event. I recorded a view videos and took some pictures. was able to get just under 3 hours of screen on time on Sunday.

Now we are on Today, Monday. I am now actively trying to kill the battery while at work. Not really streaming anything, but just constantly keeping the screen on and browsing the internet.

I'm wondering how long this will take to recharge tonight... if I can get it to that point.

So far though, I would strongly recommend this to any power user. I'll post even more updates as I actually start to get this thing "conditioned".

post-51448-0-35437200-1366058147.png

post-51448-0-85697100-1366058163.png

How thick is the phone with that damn thing.

It's exactly 1/2 inch thick. Basically the same size as this phone would be if you used the otterbox defender case.

I wish I could take pics... but the phone is my camera, and it's hard to do that :p

At first the size was a small issue. But I've already become used to it. It's actually easier to hold and handle since it's a tad thicker and heavier. I don't feel like I'm going to break my phone anymore.

If you have your device rooted, you should boot into recovery and clear your battery status information >.<

Should help you obtain better information faster >.<

Update - Still haven't charged this battery since the first initial charge. I took it off the charger roughly around 3am Saturday 4/13/13. As of right now, I am at what it says to be 23% ( this could be off due to the phone not knowing the true limits of the battery ) but I am very impressed.

From the pictures, you can see just how long it has lasted so far. 2D 11H 41M without a charge, and over 8 hours of the screen being on at max brightness.

The first day, I really tried to kill this battery. I probably logged about 5 hours of screen time. I was using youtube, netflix, hulu, games, and browsing the internet as much as I could. By the end of the day, at least for what I can do, I was unable to kill this beast. So I figured I would just ride it out.

Sunday I had a family event. I recorded a view videos and took some pictures. was able to get just under 3 hours of screen on time on Sunday.

Now we are on Today, Monday. I am now actively trying to kill the battery while at work. Not really streaming anything, but just constantly keeping the screen on and browsing the internet.

I'm wondering how long this will take to recharge tonight... if I can get it to that point.

So far though, I would strongly recommend this to any power user. I'll post even more updates as I actually start to get this thing "conditioned".

vHmEtpP.png

Seriously, that's crazy. This is my face when I read "7,000 mAh": :| It probably turns your phone into a brick (with the added thickness and weight). My HTC 8S has a measly 1,700 mAh battery that can run out in as little as 8 hours. Usually though, it lasts me a day and a half with moderate usage. I'd gladly use a brick if I don't have to charge it every 36 hours. I'd be happy with 60 hours or more.

vHmEtpP.png

Seriously, that's crazy. This is my face when I read "7,000 mAh": :| It probably turns your phone into a brick (with the added thickness and weight). My HTC 8S has a measly 1,700 mAh battery that can run out in as little as 8 hours. Usually though, it lasts me a day and a half with moderate usage. I'd gladly use a brick if I don't have to charge it every 36 hours. I'd be happy with 60 hours or more.

Exactly my thoughts. All my friends are like, " just get a spare regular battery so that you don't have a big phone." But I'd rather have a slightly bigger phone, and have the possibility that with regular use, I'll get 5 days per charge. If I could get almost 3 with the stock battery, 5 isn't too far fetched.

One of my friends was actually really surprised that the phone isn't that big. He's getting the GS4 when it's released, and is now hoping that a battery this size is released for it.

My main fear is that after a month or so, this battery somehow loses it's holding capacity and starts to just lose charge at some insane rate. Everyone's review I've read for this hasn't hinted that it will, but it is still a fear.

But the biggest plus with having a battery this big, is that there is no more worry about running out of a charge. Normally when doing anything on my phone, there is that little voice in my head saying, " If you are doing this, you will lose blahblahblah in power". But now, I can already feel that voice fading away :)

If you have your device rooted, you should boot into recovery and clear your battery status information >.<

Should help you obtain better information faster >.<

Still on Stock. Waiting to see what some future updates will bring, and if they don't please me enough, I'll root then. But since I'm stock, this should be a helpful gauge to measure from.

At the moment, running with Wifi and Data Services - On, Brightness - 100%, Motion Controls - On, and then some Weather widget that is updated every hour.

Other than that, there isn't much else that is just idly running, except for the stock processes I can't disable ( Maps and whatnot ).

Exactly my thoughts. All my friends are like, " just get a spare regular battery so that you don't have a big phone." But I'd rather have a slightly bigger phone, and have the possibility that with regular use, I'll get 5 days per charge. If I could get almost 3 with the stock battery, 5 isn't too far fetched.

One of my friends was actually really surprised that the phone isn't that big. He's getting the GS4 when it's released, and is now hoping that a battery this size is released for it.

My main fear is that after a month or so, this battery somehow loses it's holding capacity and starts to just lose charge at some insane rate. Everyone's review I've read for this hasn't hinted that it will, but it is still a fear.

But the biggest plus with having a battery this big, is that there is no more worry about running out of a charge. Normally when doing anything on my phone, there is that little voice in my head saying, " If you are doing this, you will lose blahblahblah in power". But now, I can already feel that voice fading away :)

even if it's a really bad lithium battery it should have a minimum of 300 cycles, though probably 600.

honestly though, my ventoline disqus i keep in my other pocket is already thick enough.

even if it's a really bad lithium battery it should have a minimum of 300 cycles, though probably 600.

honestly though, my ventoline disqus i keep in my other pocket is already thick enough.

If that's so, and I can get roughly 5 days per charge, I'll be set. Especially since this battery was only $32.

Normal lithium rules apply, don't store fully charged, and absolutely don't store empty. hope the makers are smart enough to put good enough charging electronics and safeties in the battery. and if looks like it's bulging even a little or has white residue along the seams, throw it away safely in a proper flammable waste container.

remember 7000Mah is a HELL of a lo of energy in a lithium battery, if it blows it better not be in yoru hands or near your head.

Normal lithium rules apply, don't store fully charged, and absolutely don't store empty. hope the makers are smart enough to put good enough charging electronics and safeties in the battery. and if looks like it's bulging even a little or has white residue along the seams, throw it away safely in a proper flammable waste container.

remember 7000Mah is a HELL of a lo of energy in a lithium battery, if it blows it better not be in yoru hands or near your head.

Ya, that's another one of my worries, but I try and not dwell on the damage it could do :p

not a fan of extended batteries. makes the device way too bulky. I always keep a fully charged extra battery in the car,and have chargers most places I am and in the car. battery is not a problem for me.

So here is some more results. The Battery has actually been uncharged for 3 day 5 hours, but during the first 4 hours, I was showing a friend the battery and popped it out so he could see how it exactly fit in. Because of that, it is missing a few hours of actual use.

This has been with just regular use. I haven't been trying to kill the battery, but just using it to listen to music, browse online, text and call, and other various activities.

It's looking like 5 days isn't an impossibility with this battery. Definitely worth the few bucks spent on it so far :)

post-51448-0-55871300-1366394514.png

post-51448-0-94536300-1366394526.png

• 3 months later...

So on my 3rd charge cycle, and with regular use, I'm going to break 5 days. It has been draining about 15-20% per day depending on my use.

Today is August 9, 2013

Could you give an update as to the Battery Performance. (Still holding strong / Any negatives) 

Anything you can update is greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks

I considered this battery set for my wife's S3, but abandoned the idea when I read complaints of WiFi and Cell signal degradation (due to the battery covering the antennas). Do you have this issue?

I considered this battery set for my wife's S3, but abandoned the idea when I read complaints of WiFi and Cell signal degradation (due to the battery covering the antennas). Do you have this issue?

To be honest I did notice loosing 1 signal bar once I started using the ZeroLemon but did not loose any quality in voice nor data connection. At the beginning I was only getting 3g data connection and for some reason now I am able to connect with 4g. I think it  has a lot to do with the area that you live and the antennas available in the area that will provide you with the 4g connectivity. I just ordered another battery for my wife's S-3 since my is proving to be a good deal. I do not say great deal as I am only on my 3rd day with the first one and have not charged the phone yet. As of right now I am currently at 34% Discharging with 2 Days 21 minutes and 55 seconds on this battery since I charged it. Hope this helps!!!

To be honest I did notice loosing 1 signal bar once I started using the ZeroLemon but did not loose any quality in voice nor data connection. At the beginning I was only getting 3g data connection and for some reason now I am able to connect with 4g. I think it  has a lot to do with the area that you live and the antennas available in the area that will provide you with the 4g connectivity. I just ordered another battery for my wife's S-3 since my is proving to be a good deal. I do not say great deal as I am only on my 3rd day with the first one and have not charged the phone yet. As of right now I am currently at 34% Discharging with 2 Days 21 minutes and 55 seconds on this battery since I charged it. Hope this helps!!!

UPDATE: On 8-11-3013 (yesterday) around 1pm I still had 15% battery left, I used the phone for a while trying to drain the battery but could only bring it down to 11% after about 45 minutes of use, went to the store and came back which took me about 30 minutes and when I checked the phone it was off (SHUT DOWN). I was never able to reach the requested 2% before charging so at that point I plug the phone in and I  am back up to 100% with about 12 hours of charging time. I will continue to update later. To resume, the battery gave me a little over 3 days of use without a charge vs 4 plus days that others claim. I just hope I do not have a dud battery, but to be honest, as long as I get a full day of use without the worry that I am going to run out of power I am happy!!!

UPDATE: On 8-11-3013 (yesterday) around 1pm I still had 15% battery left, I used the phone for a while trying to drain the battery but could only bring it down to 11% after about 45 minutes of use, went to the store and came back which took me about 30 minutes and when I checked the phone it was off (SHUT DOWN). I was never able to reach the requested 2% before charging so at that point I plug the phone in and I  am back up to 100% with about 12 hours of charging time. I will continue to update later. To resume, the battery gave me a little over 3 days of use without a charge vs 4 plus days that others claim. I just hope I do not have a dud battery, but to be honest, as long as I get a full day of use without the worry that I am going to run out of power I am happy!!!

OMG a time traveller from the future!

Question.

Why were you using 1000 year old technology?

Don't people just have implants for phones in your time?

Can I have next weeks winning lottery numbers?

A question to either the OP or anyone else who has used this product. Could you take some photos of the device after you have installed the battery? This would be a good addition to the review and would allow for comparison between the standard thickness and how it influences that. Cheers. (Y)

Even still, that sort of battery life is almost unheard of nowadays.

A question to either the OP or anyone else who has used this product. Could you take some photos of the device after you have installed the battery? This would be a good addition to the review and would allow for comparison between the standard thickness and how it influences that. Cheers. (Y)

Even still, that sort of battery life is almost unheard of nowadays.

Here's some stock photos, :)

post-354816-0-05931200-1377495399.jpg

post-354816-0-09885000-1377495436.png

post-354816-0-04824100-1377495453.jpg

post-354816-0-86970200-1377495499.jpg

post-354816-0-97737100-1377495509.jpg

• 2 years later...
On 4/12/2013 at 4:31 AM, shakey said:

For all Images please Click on Link Below:

http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B00AKZWGAC

I just received this battery and case today, so this review will get updated after I complete everything... may take about a month if I'm lucky :)

First I will explain the battery. This thing is huge. It takes up almost the whole back area on the phone. It was packaged nicely and included 3 different papers with the installation/charging instructions. ( though all instructions are the same, they just make sure you see them )

Installing the battery is simple, though scary. With it being so huge and with how it is held to the phone, you will feel like you might break something putting this battery in. There isn't anything special to do except push hard until you hear it snap in. It's held securely due to its sheer size. But once it is in, there is no fear of it just slipping out. Once in, you will notice how much heavier the phone is. This battery alone weighs about 20 grams. So while it is heavier, it isn't anything that is too heavy. It actually makes the phone feel sturdier due to the added weight. Though I must stress, this is just a "feel" and doesn't actually do anything that makes it stronger. :p

Second I'll touch on the case. Mine came with the Black case. I chose this due to black being better at hiding dirt. The case is a TPU case. This is what will substitute for your normal "back plate" that phones have. Once you have installed the battery, you just slip this case right on. It fits very well around the whole phone. There are no lose ends or wiggle room with the case. The button covers fit perfectly and respond to presses easily. The case even leaves a little bulge around the screen, so that you can lay it down flat without worries of the screen getting scratched. And the back portion around the camera lens is actually really well done. No worries about there being reflections or other types of issues due to the case being in the way of either the flash or camera lens. All holes are aligned correctly for mic ports, charging/micro usb, and speaker/camera ports. It is actually a pretty damn perfect case.

With the battery and case on, the phone is roughly a 1/2 inch think. This is a huge increase from what the phone originally is, but I like it. The phone now feels sturdier.

Now I can't put into any detail yet about the life of the battery, as I am still in the "charging" process. It came with 58% charge on it, and the instructions say to let it charge for 12 hours roughly on the 1st initial charge, so that you can be sure it is fully charged. Once that is done, I have to run it down to around 2% and then repeat the charging process. I believe each charge will take roughly 8-12 hours. On my regular stock 2300mAh battery, the longest I was able to go was about 53 hours before I needed to charge. I'm hoping I can break a week on this bad boy with my minimal use, and expect at least 2 full days with heavy use. But as I mentioned, I will update this post in the coming weeks to let you know exactly what kind of usage I'm getting out of this.

Good day people. I completed the 12hours initial charge. But what will happen if I didn't charge to full on my next charges? Huhuhuhu I failed to follow the 5-6 full and discharge cycles stated on the no. 2 thanks for the replies.

• Skiver locked this topic