• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 ashpowell

ashpowell

Neowinian

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 12 April 2013 - 21:55

Hi,

I'm after a new 27" monitor with a resolution 2560 x 1440 or higher.. to compete along the same lines as the apple led cinema display, does anyone have any suggestions?

Will mainly be used for design.

Cheers

#2 +Audien

Audien

Software Eng.

• Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 12 April 2013 - 22:00

Dell U2711 if you're after a high end IPS panel.

#3 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 12 April 2013 - 22:10

The DGM IPS-2701WPH (£360) is pretty cheap and has great user reviews, though has relatively high input lag. The Hazro HZ27WB (£400) is a bit more expensive but it's better suited to gaming, has better colour reproduction (it's a 10-bit display) and I love the 30" Hazro I have. I wouldn't recommend the Dell U2711, as the anti-glare coating hurts the image quality and it has a relatively high input lag - even the updated Dell U2713HM has twice the input lag of the Hazro HZ27WB.

Check out TFTCentral for reviews. As you'll be using it for design you'll want to look for colour reproduction, viewing angles and panel uniformity.

#4 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 13 April 2013 - 02:36

The U2711 was recently updated as the U2713H.

#5 Fahim S.

Fahim S.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4 16GB by LG

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:41

The DGM IPS-2701WPH (£360) is pretty cheap and has great user reviews, though has relatively high input lag. The Hazro HZ27WB (£400) is a bit more expensive but it's better suited to gaming, has better colour reproduction (it's a 10-bit display) and I love the 30" Hazro I have. I wouldn't recommend the Dell U2711, as the anti-glare coating hurts the image quality and it has a relatively high input lag - even the updated Dell U2713HM has twice the input lag of the Hazro HZ27WB.

Check out TFTCentral for reviews. As you'll be using it for design you'll want to look for colour reproduction, viewing angles and panel uniformity.

Have you actually ever owned a U2711 or are you just repeating what you've read? I am interested because I have read both sets of opinion, some which say the anti-glare coating is terrible, others which say it isn't so bad.

#6 primexx

primexx

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:00

Have you actually ever owned a U2711 or are you just repeating what you've read? I am interested because I have read both sets of opinion, some which say the anti-glare coating is terrible, others which say it isn't so bad.

My monitor has the same coating, it's not an issue.

#7 OP ashpowell

ashpowell

Neowinian

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:20

Cheers for everyones input, I've bookmarked the Hazro for when it comes back in stock, I've read a few reviews and the Dell has quite a few people saying the panel is rubbish, whereas the only bad review I've read about the Hazro is the stand isn't adjustable (also some people say it still is, just that its stiff)

#8 Brian M.

Brian M.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:15

Cheers for everyones input, I've bookmarked the Hazro for when it comes back in stock, I've read a few reviews and the Dell has quite a few people saying the panel is rubbish, whereas the only bad review I've read about the Hazro is the stand isn't adjustable (also some people say it still is, just that its stiff)

You will probably find that all of these 27" displays use the same LG panel. I know for a fact that the Dell U27's use the same LG panels as the 27" iMacs.

#9 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:42

I owned the U2410, which had a similar coating. It was only when I upgraded to the Hazro that I noticed what an impact the anti-glare used by Dell had. It doesn't ruin the monitor by any means, it's just not desirable.

#10 Fahim S.

Fahim S.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4 16GB by LG

Posted 13 April 2013 - 23:41

I owned the U2410, which had a similar coating. It was only when I upgraded to the Hazro that I noticed what an impact the anti-glare used by Dell had. It doesn't ruin the monitor by any means, it's just not desirable.

Interesting. I have the U2711 and the coating isn't something I notice at all. Would rather have the coating than being able to see my reflection instead of what's meant to be on screen. It's the reason I chose this screen over the Apple 27" display.

I've heard good things about the Hazro but connectivity options are limited and the stand isn't very adjustable.

#11 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

Posted 13 April 2013 - 23:44

Interesting. I have the U2711 and the coating isn't something I notice at all. Would rather have the coating than being able to see my reflection rather than what's meant to be on screen. It's the reason I chose this screen I've the Apple 27" display.

The 30" Hazro WZ30Wie that I have now has an anti-glare coating too, it's just not as pronounced as that used by Dell. I'm not a great fan of glossy monitors either, though they do seem to have better contrast.

#12 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• Phone: LG G3

Posted 13 April 2013 - 23:45

I have that exact Monitor, Can see the screen fine in daylight, had it sat next to my friends 27inch iMac when I first got it, picture quality was identical, only thing I noticed was it can't go as bright as the iMac could.

#13 primexx

primexx

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 14 April 2013 - 00:34

The 30" Hazro WZ30Wie that I have now has an anti-glare coating too, it's just not as pronounced as that used by Dell. I'm not a great fan of glossy monitors either, though they do seem to have better contrast.

glossy gives you the illusion of better contrast, it's just a cheap way to fool people, which is why there's so many more glossy low end junk than glossy high end professinoal grade stuff.

#14 ACTIONpack

ACTIONpack

Graphic Designer

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 925 (T-Mobile)

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:23

I'm waiting on the 24inch 220ppi monitors.

#15 +SOOPRcow

SOOPRcow

Neowinian

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:57

Got this ad from monoprice in an e-mail,

http://www.monoprice...onitors_q2_2013