• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#46 HellboundIRL

HellboundIRL

Neowinian

• 822 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:33

Maybe so, but why should a woman do that if she doesn't want to? It should be a choice.

It is and always should be a choice, I'm not saying women should be forced to do anything they don't want to.

There's no denying it's the best thing for the child though and breastfeeding rates need to continue improving, it's good to educate both men and women to make an informed choice.

#47 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 16,102 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:44

It is and always should be a choice, I'm not saying women should be forced to do anything they don't want to.

There's no denying it's the best thing for the child though and breastfeeding rates need to continue improving, it's good to educate both men and women to make an informed choice.

I agree with this. I'm not against women CHOOSING not to breast feed, I just object to the ridiculous claims that a lot of women physically CAN'T. The vast majority of them can if they want to.

#48 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• 7,484 posts
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:55

I agree with this. I'm not against women CHOOSING not to breast feed, I just object to the ridiculous claims that a lot of women physically CAN'T. The vast majority of them can if they want to.

Not sure how many times i've got to say this but i'll bite again, many women physically can't, maybe try listening to the other people in this thread and learning something.

#49 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 16,102 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 13:29

Not sure how many times i've got to say this but i'll bite again, many women physically can't, maybe try listening to the other people in this thread and learning something.

Many != majority. Learn English.

#50 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• 7,484 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 13:39

Many != majority. Learn English.

Learn to type what you mean then... and i quote.

I just object to the ridiculous claims that a lot of women physically CAN'T.

Hmmm what is that i read there? Yes that's right 'A lot' aka 'Many'.
So before attacking others regarding the use of English language (always the poor mans fall back by the way), check yourself first.

I'm guessing you're from a slightly older generation than i as it's people like you we've come across that have caused many of these women issues due to their lack of understanding. Pretty much any recently qualified (or those that have kept up with their reading) neonatal health care professional will agree that many women have issues with being able to breastfeed.

#51 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 16,102 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 14:12

I have a degree in childcare, but I don't use it. These days I'm a software engineer, have been for years.

The point still stands. The majority of women do not experience physical problems with breast feeding. The primary issues are purely societal.

#52 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• 7,484 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 14:22

I have a degree in childcare, but I don't use it. These days I'm a software engineer, have been for years.

The point still stands. The majority of women do not experience physical problems with breast feeding. The primary issues are purely societal.

Let's not get confused here, i never stated it was a majority, i can agree with you on that. However there are a large portion of new mothers who physically can not breast feed no matter how much they want to. My partner is currently in process of setting up a support group for these mothers as it can lead to quite serious depression etc. If you can breastfeed then good for you and good for your baby, if you can't then don;t feel ashamed, it happens to many many people.

#53 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 16,102 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 14:37

Large portion? No it isn't. I doubt it's even as much as 1%.

#54 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• 7,484 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 14:50

Well as neither us either a) Going to back down b) able to prove anything either way, i vote we agree to disagree?

#55 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 16,102 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 14:51

Sure. I don't have a problem with that.

#56 Richteralan

Richteralan

Neowinian Senior

• 2,360 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4 E960

Posted 14 April 2013 - 14:51

Let's not get confused here, i never stated it was a majority, i can agree with you on that. However there are a large portion of new mothers who physically can not breast feed no matter how much they want to. My partner is currently in process of setting up a support group for these mothers as it can lead to quite serious depression etc. If you can breastfeed then good for you and good for your baby, if you can't then don;t feel ashamed, it happens to many many people.

Now is it they really physically can't do it or psychologically can't do it because of the social "norm" nowadays?

#57 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• 7,484 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 14:57

Now is it they really physically can't do it or psychologically can't do it because of the social "norm" nowadays?

Physically. I give no credence to those that choose to do because they want to drink or smoke or who are to damn lazy.
I'm talking about people, or even the babies, with actual medical issues that limit them from breastfeeding. Stuff such as mastitis etc.

#58 Richteralan

Richteralan

Neowinian Senior

• 2,360 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4 E960

Posted 14 April 2013 - 15:41

Physically. I give no credence to those that choose to do because they want to drink or smoke or who are to damn lazy.
I'm talking about people, or even the babies, with actual medical issues that limit them from breastfeeding. Stuff such as mastitis etc.

OK So you mean there are a majority of mothers incapable of providing breast milk?

#59 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• 6,679 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 15:51

OK So you mean there are a majority of mothers incapable of providing breast milk?

No, he never said a majority.

#60 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• 7,484 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 16:04

No, he never said a majority.

^^^

I'm saying there are a large amount of the population of the United Kingdom who have a legitimate difficulty in breastfeeding their baby and these people should not be victimized because of that.