Windows 8 for a Virtual Machine

Anybody? What is the legal way to get Windows 8 on my new Macbook Pro? Buying Windows 7 first?

PG Hammer answer the question. Buy Windows 7 and Upgrade it or Buy Windows 8. Both are valid.

Um, he answered it for a VM. I replied if it was the same to run natively on my new Macbook Pro. Nobody responded to that.

Sometimes licenses are not the same when you install on a VM or natively.

• 1 year later...

You can't do it legally anymore..

I'd just suggest you have a license for the install and install it..

Here is a pretty good overview of the new licensing.

http://www.picacommu...hanges1208.html

**** me Microsoft are becoming evil..

EDIT::

After further thought I'd interpret this as meaning you cannot move the VM. You can install it onto a machine in a VM, but not move it to another device :\

Either way, epicly scumbaggy..

Actually, yes - you can.

What you do is identical as the process for a physical computer is - this change went into effect with Windows 7, and is unchanged for any version of Windows - client OR server - since.

All licensing for Windows is on an individual basis, and is not reliant on physical hardware.

Just purchase an OEM/System Builder copy of Windows 7 (or later), and you are licensed to use that copy on any physical or virtual machine (one license per copy).

1. License Rights and Multi-User Scenarios

a. Computer. In this agreement, ?computer? means a hardware system (whether physical or virtual) with an internal storage device capable of running the software. A hardware partition or blade is considered to be a computer. The software is licensed to run on up to two processors on the licensed computer.

e. Client Hyper-V. You may use the Client Hyper-V technology in the software to create a virtual instance of this or other software, but only if the software you are creating the virtual instance of permits you to do that.

from my Windows pro license, seems fine to use it in a VM

1. License Rights and Multi-User Scenarios
a. Computer. In this agreement, ?computer? means a hardware system (whether physical or virtual) with an internal storage device capable of running the software. A hardware partition or blade is considered to be a computer. The software is licensed to run on up to two processors on the licensed computer.

e. Client Hyper-V. You may use the Client Hyper-V technology in the software to create a virtual instance of this or other software, but only if the software you are creating the virtual instance of permits you to do that.

from my Windows pro license, seems fine to use it in a VM

Exactly - that is how the Unified Licensing Schema works.

There is no longer a difference - in licensing terms - between physical or virtual hardware.  (This applied to all of Microsoft's software from the inception of the Schema with the sole exception of Windows Server - which uses a modified version of the Schema.  The Modified Licensing Schema for Windows Server allows you to run one virtualized instance of Windows Server on the SAME server OS you are licensed to run it on physically - this MLS applies to Windows Server 2003R2 and later - with the sole exception of Microsoft Hyper-V Server.)

Where it can cause issues is if you are accessing OneDrive from within a VM.  Case in point - while running GRID Workspace, I accessed my OneDrive from within the Workspace to retrieve a Word document.  Flag - I had Outlook running on the physical PC, while running Word in the Workspace.  (A technical, but not deliberate, violation - I wasn't running two copies of Word, or Outlook, at once.)  Microsoft caught the flag and sent me a mail message (via my Outlook.com e-mail address) giving me a heads-up.  (This is, apparently, quite common, as the mail message was not threatening in any way - in fact, the message itself said that I was free to ignore it if the violation was caused by running an Office application in a VM.)