Rumor: AMD Centurion FX clocked at 5GHz

So how about this as a rumour for a Friday morning? Though AMD will never go on record and confirm this, we have it on good authority that the chip-maker will soon be releasing a super-FX chip. Based on the same 'Vishera' architecture powering the current FX-8350, which runs at up to 4.2GHz, this new FX, codenamed 'Centurion', is to be made available in very limited quantities.

This so-called Centurion is guaranteed to run at 5GHz, on air, though we don't know exactly what voltage or supporting hardware will be required for this lofty speed.

Here's the kicker; our sources indicate that this limited-edition chip is set to cost a whopping $795 - this is not a typo!

Source (hexus.net)

Commentary:

Yes, a processor of probably 150W+ TDP (because of raised vcore) when LGA 2011 Ivy Bridge-E desktop 6-cores are just around the corner is just what AMD must focus on. That said, they must have finally found out that some spare monies is a very useful thing to have, especially at their present, rather sad, financial state (net income in 2012 being loss of USD 1.183 billion). While, on the other hand, Intel probably has been building several olympic class swimming pools to house the stuff formerly sitting in our wallets.

While it would come with a closed loop watercooler rather than air thing (or perhaps taking a cue from Intel - no thermal solution at all) instead of the infamous "jetliner" that has been prevalent in their top series thus far, I don't think I could justify such a purchase. Then again, I'm, admiteddly, an Intel fanboi, so don't mind me at all on that. To be fair, it would find a lot of support among any kind of enthusiants that are now struggling to OC their FX-8350 to a nice round number by hand.

Thoughts?

It smacks to me of the Intel Pentium 4 Extreme days as well. High clock speed to grab headlines.

It smacks to me of the Intel Pentium 4 Extreme days as well. High clock speed to grab headlines.

Yeah pretty much, it screams "we don't have anything to compete against intel, lets throw out crazy megahurtz to fool the average joe"

Why not? PD Arch ain't that bad anymore (when compared to BD) and a stock 5 would give it a lot of juice if you really need a multi-core setup. It's just free publicity for AMD. They need it.

"Yeah pretty much, it screams "we don't have anything to compete against intel, lets throw out crazy megahurtz to fool the average joe""

Stick to the Random pictures thread and don't talk about things you clearly don't understand next time :)

Why not? PD Arch ain't that bad anymore (when compared to BD) and a stock 5 would give it a lot of juice if you really need a multi-core setup. It's just free publicity for AMD. They need it.

No, they need to get their ass in gear. Intel pretty much wipes the floor with anything they have to offer, yeah yeah amd is "cheaper" yeah... 125w TDP for most of their processors against intels 75... add that to your electricity bill and then we can talk cheap.

• Like 2

They need to grab headlines, AMD isn't in the best position and adding more cores isn't helping when the majority of software isn't taking advantage of them. Going with higher clocks is something that consumers still understand well.

Yeah pretty much, it screams "we don't have anything to compete against intel, lets throw out crazy megahurtz to fool the average joe"

Did you miss the part where the article explicitly said "made available in very limited quantities."?

This clearly isn't intended to be a serious product, it's a PR stunt. Most likely a stop-gap until Steamroller-based FX chips are ready.

No, they need to get their ass in gear. Intel pretty much wipes the floor with anything they have to offer, yeah yeah amd is "cheaper" yeah... 125w TDP for most of their processors against intels 75... add that to your electricity bill and then we can talk cheap.

Haha. Thanks for proving my point. Stick to the pictures thread.

First off, get into gear? Yeah, AMD's total net worth is as big as Intel puts into R&D each quarter, that will be easy, nah why not bankrupt AMD in one quarter.

Secondly.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd_fx8350_visherabdver2&num=3

Wiping the floor? Uhm how about no? Multi-threaded programs are taking the use of the PD modular arch for a long time now and even the 3770k has problems keeping up, single threaded, sure that's purely Intel's playground.

I love when people talk out their ass.

"Yeah pretty much, it screams "we don't have anything to compete against intel, lets throw out crazy megahurtz to fool the average joe""

Stick to the Random pictures thread and don't talk about things you clearly don't understand next time :)

Because it's a false economy. It's the same as putting 16 megapixel cameras out with crappy image censors, people are being fooled into thinking they're getting something better than they are actually getting. I was against it back then when Intel did it and I am still against it now. This CPU is going to consume a buttload of power and I imagine it will still struggle to compete with the i7s.

Been an AMD Fan since 2003 here, Currently happy with my AMD APU Vision A6 system, does all my tasks really well, Gaming, video encoding (not so much doing that anymore though) DVD burning, music streaming and gaming. Haven't used an Intel based system since December 2002.

Perhaps in the future i'll check out a newer Intel system, but I don't know yet.

• Like 3

Haha. Thanks for proving my point. Stick to the pictures thread.

First off, get into gear? Yeah, AMD's total net worth is as big as Intel puts into R&D each quarter, that will be easy, nah why not bankrupt AMD in one quarter.

Secondly.

http://www.phoronix....erabdver2&num=3

Wiping the floor? Uhm how about no? Multi-threaded programs are taking the use of the PD modular arch for a long time now and even the 3770k has problems keeping up, single threaded, sure that's purely Intel's playground.

I love when people talk out their ass.

I'm not talking out of my ass, i'm talking design wise, IMO 125w is unacceptable these days, it's just too much, that's what my 7 year old q6600 uses.

You and me, we've had this discussion on the linux benchmarks before ;)

Arguing with Blues is like running head first into a wall..I'm too drunk for this ****. :/

I'm green dude, I would love AMD to kick ass :( like in the thoroughbred days :(, but its just no happening for another 2-3 years because of AMDs RnD budget as you pointed out.

The fanboys are on the AMD side, they've taken a habit of getting ****y about it when people advocate the use of Intel processors for some reason. I used to be in the same corner myself, back in the days when Pentium 4s were crap and Athlon 64s were not I argued the other way around. Reality is what it is and if people choose to get angry about it, that's their problem.

Damn, if it wasn't for the price tag I would of got one.

When are we gonna start to see DDR4 supported chips :/ - that's what I'm holding out upgrading for.

The fanboys are on the AMD side, they've taken a habit of getting ****y about it when people advocate the use of Intel processors for some reason. I used to be in the same corner myself, back in the days when Pentium 4s were crap and Athlon 64s were not I argued the other way around. Reality is what it is and if people choose to get angry about it, that's their problem.

Yeah you do have a point, I try to hand around and listen to both sides, i've switched from AMD k6, k7 to intel p4, c2d and finally q6600, my future upgrade might be an intel "K" version, my point is, there is no absolute king.

And who do we thank for that? :)

Me, please, I'm the original fanboi here :)

I'm getting some kicks out of it. But at the same time, inspired from a recent thread of one remixed cat, afraid that I might ask for all parties involved to keep it a bit more civil before I get my very rare BPN thread closed :(

Damn, if it wasn't for the price tag I would of got one.

When are we gonna start to see DDR4 supported chips :/ - that's what I'm holding out upgrading for.

DDR4 supported CPUs for the public won't be around until the end of 2014 or maybe 2015. Since they cost way to much for anyone to use.

Me, please, I'm the original fanboi here :)

I'm getting some kicks out of it. But at the same time, inspired from a recent thread of one remixed cat, afraid that I might ask for all parties involved to keep it a bit more civil before I get my very rare BPN thread closed :(

I was referring to AMD's R&D budget ;)

DDR4 supported CPUs for the public won't be around until the end of 2014 or maybe 2015. Since they cost way to much for anyone to use.

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/31064-haswell-e-supports-ddr4

Even before Ivy Bridge-E hits the market, Intel is busy working on a successor to this ultra high end processor simply codenamed Haswell E. Ivy Bridge-E is on schedule to launch in Q3 2013, using the same LGA 2011 socket, existing X79 chipset as well as four channel DDR3 1866 support.

Just when people count out AMD, they seem to come back with something good.

:laugh:

I was referring to AMD's R&D budget ;)

I think what they've managed to get done with the comparatively little amount they have is very commendable. I blame all the rest of the world (of software architects) that most office and consumer space programs won't take advantage of (any kind - Intel, AMD, ARM-OEMs) multi-core setups easily, nor do they show any particular inclination of doing so any time soon. Blaming developers won't solve anything, though, so... mustshifttheblametoamdyesyesyes

There are days when I rant my face off because of (but, fortunately for myself, not at) people who "dare to bring their stupid broken AMD systems" (or stupid broken Radeons) for service. Fanboism coupled with suddenly having a pile of work leads to that easily.

As a side note, I've had to exchange two borked AMD FX processors (one Dozer, one PD, both failing PRIME95 in seconds) in the little time I've been in this line of work, while Intel sells five times more and has had none. Any sensible explanation to that? Other than isolated cases, I mean? Because it adds immense amount of fuel to fan-raging, otherwise.