#1 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• 23,151 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:46

Gears of War designer: “Always online future is probably coming… deal with it”
Bleszinski says technological advancement can't worry about the "edge case."

In the wake of former Microsoft employee Adam Orth's controversial tweeted defense of the next Xbox's rumored always-online features (and his subsequent departure from Microsoft Studios), legendary game designer Cliff Bleszinski has come out publicly in support of Orth's comments, saying that those unhappy about an always-online future should "deal with it."

Bleszinski, who left Gears of War maker Epic games last October to take a break from game development, writes on his personal Tumblr that he thinks the time when most devices require a consistent Internet connection is coming sooner than later. "My gut is telling me that an always online future is probably coming," he wrote. "It’s coming fast, and possibly to the majority of the devices you enjoy."

While some gamers are still loudly complaining about the required server connections in PC games like SimCity and Diablo 3, Bleszinski notes that the former game is "selling briskly," and the latter has moved over 12 million units. "I would bet money that without the always online elements of Diablo 3 that it would have sold half of that," Bleszinski wrote, pointing an implicit finger at software piracy as the main reason for always-online requirements.

What about situations where people might want to play a game or console in some remote location without reliable high-speed Internet? Bleszinski replies that such situations are "the edge case... the week-long vacation to the cabin is only 30 hours of not playing a game or a device that’s built for much more. Technology doesn’t advance by worrying about the edge case." (Emphasis in original.)

He also pointed out that Microsoft's decision not to support dial-up connections on the original Xbox 360 was seen as a "bold move" in 2005, but that technology quickly caught up to the company's decision. "Well behaved people rarely make history. Deal with it," he summed up.

As far as Orth's departure from Microsoft, Bleszinski noted that we'll never know what really happened behind the scenes, but he still decried the Internet mob mentality that developed around Orth's statements. "If I departed from Epic every time I said something dumb I wouldn’t have made it the last 10 years there."

Source: Ars Technica
Link: Cliff Bleszinski's tumblr post

#2 trag3dy

trag3dy

Neowinian Senior

• 6,689 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:50

There's been enough examples on why the always online connection thing doesn't work in the last year alone.

So yeah..I'll deal with it by not buying your games or consoles. And in return you can go on blaming piracy for poor sales.

#3 lunamonkey

lunamonkey

Ten years on Neowin.

• 9,026 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:00

Slightly miss-quoted as he doesn't say those phrases together. Although you could argue that his summary was referring to everything he had previously said, it's not conclusive.

#4 Pupik

Pupik

Neowinian Senior

• 6,136 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:03

Why the always online crap has to be mentioned like if it's only going to be in the next Xbox? When PS4 was revealed, always online was a big thing in the press release with all the "PS4 will download game demos in sleep mode and in the background for games that it (the PS4) think you'll want to play to save time for you" and the whole "Share" button fiasco that among other social network crap, also streams your gameplay (using the ustream service) so any of your friends can watch you fail at games :rolleyes:

#5 panacea

panacea

technical cannibal

• 6,052 posts
  • Phone: htc one

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:09

"If I departed from Epic every time I said something dumb I wouldn’t have made it the last 10 years there."

so he knows that it is dumb? yet supports it?

#6 ichi

ichi

Akihabara Style

• 4,891 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:25

Why the always online crap has to be mentioned like if it's only going to be in the next Xbox? When PS4 was revealed, always online was a big thing in the press release with all the "PS4 will download game demos in sleep mode and in the background for games that it (the PS4) think you'll want to play to save time for you" and the whole "Share" button fiasco that among other social network crap, also streams your gameplay (using the ustream service) so any of your friends can watch you fail at games :rolleyes:

Considering he's using Diablo and Simcity as examples I take he means always-on as in requiring a connection at all times even for single player games.

That's what people have issues with, and that's something that Sony has stated the PS4 won't have (although they can obviously backpedal later). No one is criticizing that a console might take advantage of a persistent connection to do more stuff (something the PS3 is doing already to a certain extent, waking up to automatically download game patches and system updates) but rather that they might require it even for offline games for no other reason than DRM.

#7 Pupik

Pupik

Neowinian Senior

• 6,136 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:40

Considering he's using Diablo and Simcity as examples I take he means always-on as in requiring a connection at all times even for single player games.

That's what people have issues with, and that's something that Sony has stated the PS4 won't have (although they can obviously backpedal later). No one is criticizing that a console might take advantage of a persistent connection to do more stuff (something the PS3 is doing already to a certain extent, waking up to automatically download game patches and system updates) but rather that they might require it even for offline games for no other reason than DRM.

And when did Microsoft stated that the next Xbox will have that, for games or any other services?

#8 compl3x

compl3x

OK. compl3x again.

• 7,981 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:01

And when did Microsoft stated that the next Xbox will have that, for games or any other services?

Their silence on the whole issue speaks volumes though, doesn't it?

#9 Pupik

Pupik

Neowinian Senior

• 6,136 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:03

No, it doesn't :huh:

#10 compl3x

compl3x

OK. compl3x again.

• 7,981 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:08

Yes, it does. :| They (Microsoft) won't address the issue at all. If it was something they had zero intention of doing they would have said so by now. People are judging the system by this rumour before the console has even been announced. Not a good thing for consumers to already be disliking your product.

#11 DrakeN2k

DrakeN2k

Neowinian

• 1,129 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:11

2 words.

Sim City.

#12 ichi

ichi

Akihabara Style

• 4,891 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:11

Just read on The Verge that there's an XBox Live outage. It sure wouldn't be fun if the current XBox required an always-on connection and was hence rendered totally useless until the issue was fixed.

I didn't say they did, just that Sony has stated that they won't.

#13 +Chicane-UK

Chicane-UK

Neowinian Senior

• 9,711 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:23

What I don't understand is how if so many people DON'T want this, and arguably for many titles it provides no benefit, how can they continue down this route so bullishly? I guess they know they can as very few people are likely to vote with their feet :(

#14 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• 19,307 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:54

By that logic Microsoft don't have a successor for the 360 because they haven't said anything about it at all.

#15 dmt

dmt

Neowinian

• 166 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:01

That thinks remote locations are for vacations only :D