Low Profile ESXi Friendly NIC needed

Hi -

As the title suggests, I need a low profile NIC which is friendly with ESXi.

Relatively cheap, available from Amazon.co.uk on Super Saver Delivery.

It will be fitted into a HP Proliant MicroServer N40L in its PCIe x1 slot.

Thanks in advance.

Here are the models I am using in my N40L

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000J3OPOU/ref=pe_175190_21431760_3p_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

HP 412648-B21 NC360T PCI-Express DP GigaBit Adapter by HP

This is new one I got that goes in the x16 slot, I contacted the shipping company amtech and they shipped it with low profile. Works great, dual nic!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106036

Intel EXPI9301CT Desktop Adapter Gigabit CT 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps PCI-Express 1 x RJ45

I am sure you can get the EXPI9301CT from amazon as well, I just looked up my newegg history for the info because there is where I ordered it.

Both are working great the intel came with both low and normal profile brackets, just couple of screws to change out. If you can use your x16 slot - the dual card is sweet! I would assume these model numbers would be available in the uk.

I run 4 interfaces in my N40L now, dual nic, single nic and the built in nic.. Allows me to breakout the vmk onto its own interface, seems to have really increased my uploads to the datastore. Wireless is now its own segment, wan and lan for other 2. If you have your x16 slot open - I would really look at the dual nic, its in the same price range ;)

Here are the models I am using in my N40L

http://www.amazon.co...p_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

HP 412648-B21 NC360T PCI-Express DP GigaBit Adapter by HP

This is new one I got that goes in the x16 slot, I contacted the shipping company amtech and they shipped it with low profile. Works great, dual nic!

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16833106036

Intel EXPI9301CT Desktop Adapter Gigabit CT 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps PCI-Express 1 x RJ45

I am sure you can get the EXPI9301CT from amazon as well, I just looked up my newegg history for the info because there is where I ordered it.

Both are working great the intel came with both low and normal profile brackets, just couple of screws to change out. If you can use your x16 slot - the dual card is sweet!

I'd love a dual card, but the x16 slot is taken. The EXPI9301CT is available - I will put it on my list.

Thank you so much for your help!

Assume your running raid in the x16? I didn't really see the need for that, the built controller is working out great in my setup. But yeah lots of people put a raid card in that slot, limits what you can do network wise.

Assume your running raid in the x16? I didn't really see the need for that, the built controller is working out great in my setup. But yeah lots of people put a raid card in that slot, limits what you can do network wise.

Very astute assumption! Wouldn't need the RAID card if I was only planning to run with 5 drives, but I have 9.

To be honest any SATA controller probably would have done, as recently moved to ZFS RAIDZ and hence the RAID card is nothing more than a fancy SATA controller.

Built in can do 6 I think, but yeah if you want 9 your would need some other controller. Curious if you could find a sata controller for the x1 slot and use with the built in for your drives, and then put in a dual nic in your x16 slot to give you 3 nics and 9 drives - that would be a sweet setup ;)

Built in can do 6 I think, but yeah if you want 9 your would need some other controller. Curious if you could find a sata controller for the x1 slot and use with the built in for your drives, and then put in a dual nic in your x16 slot to give you 3 nics and 9 drives - that would be a sweet setup ;)

Built in can do 5. And I agree that would be a very sweet setup - might have to do some research.

With the RAID controller I can do 13 in total. Shame it doesn't have the space.

Same one BudMan linked to, so yes so long as your x16 slot is free.